C.S Lewis

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Re: C.S Lewis

Post by moderntimes »

For those who enjoy CS Lewis, I cannot more strongly recommend the film "Shadowlands" the biographical film about the love between CS Lewis and Joy Gresham, starring Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger. This is the most literate and realistic love story ever made, and the two actors' performances are brilliant. It's also about Christian love, also based on Lewis' "A Grief Observed" when he lost Davidson to cancer. Great film!

Hopkins and Winger are superb, the screenplay and entire production gripping, and especially for Christians (or anyone else of faith) this film shows us how that faith is tested by tragedy.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I have that on DVD, but I have never got around to watching it yet. Maybe I need to set aside some time soon to rectify that! :)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Absolutely watch it! Set aside some quiet time for this very intelligent and moving film. I will bring tears. Absolutely the most adult (adult in a good way) and smart romantic movie ever made.

The scenery is also authentic, Oxford University, Magdeine College where Lewis taught. Anglophiles will also love the film.
dhaller
Currently Reading: The Moral Arc
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhaller.html
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson

Post by dhaller »

True story: I actually read his Space Trilogy in an effort to impress a girl. Which, on the whole, was a good decision, even though I found the ending to be super anticlimactic.

Spoilers:

Seriously, didn't Merlin waltz into the room with all the bad guys were and cast the curse of Babel? And that was pretty much the end of that?

Was there actually a point to that?

But I enjoyed the fiction part of it - the imagination involved in the Venus bit was great.
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

I read Lewis' fiction as a kid but never thought it was all that good. And I still don't. But the Narnia stories are okay for kids, I suppose.

It's Lewis' nonfiction about Christianity and of course his Screwtape that I adore.
Erinlee12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erinlee12.html
Latest Review: "The Faithful Steward" by Dmitri Dobrovolsky

Post by Erinlee12 »

C.S. Lewis has so much to offer. My personal favorite from him is The Screwtape Letters. If you haven't read it, I cannot recommend it enough. It truly gives you a glimpse of the spiritual warfare we each face on a daily, hourly, minutely day. Whether you are a person of faith or not, this is a powerful book. It's a short, easy read that can be done in a few hours. Love this author!
Latest Review: "The Faithful Steward" by Dmitri Dobrovolsky
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Screwtape is a classic, one I read as a kid and continued to enjoy.

Lewis' "Problem of Pain" is another classic and his very personal "A Grief Observed" is essential to any believer suffering loss. As I say, I don't think his juvenile fiction is all that good (and being an adult I just don't read juvenile fiction) but his nonfiction adult writings are great.

And as always, I strongly recommend the film "Shadowlands" w. Anthony Hopkins as Lewis, about his love and loss of Joy Davidson. Brilliant movie, amazing acting.
mdielm01
Currently Reading: Loretta's Garden
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mdielm01.html

Post by mdielm01 »

I love the Narnia books. I read the classics as a child and was so thrilled that they were made into movies. I was surprised that I loved the movies as much as I love the books.
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

Narnia is definitely one of those books that will still be popular in years to come. It is a book I want my kids to grow up with.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Sarah_Socks wrote:Narnia is definitely one of those books that will still be popular in years to come. It is a book I want my kids to grow up with.
Amen to that! :)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Never read the Naria books, as I was a grownup before they were popular. I do know they're great for kids, however.
ChelseaMenjivar
Currently Reading: The Blue Bistro
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelseamenjivar.html
Latest Review: "Trails of the Heat" by Anthony W. Antolic

Post by ChelseaMenjivar »

C. S. Lewis is a genius. The way he writes has such meaning. His stories go way beyond the fictional stories that appear on the surface. If you really dive in and study his work, you will get way more out of reading even the Narnia books than you otherwise would. Also, Mere Christianity is so wisely written. It is a difficult read, but if you stick to it you will be blessed.
Latest Review: "Trails of the Heat" by Anthony W. Antolic
markit1216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markit1216.html

Post by markit1216 »

haven't read narnia... I should start now
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

mark, don't know your age but you must understand that Narnia is for young readers (kids) and may prove a bit "slow" for an adult who may be looking for a challenge. The books are, however, excellent for kids.
ElleDavis228
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elledavis228.html

Post by ElleDavis228 »

When I was a kid in elementary school, my mom actually bought me the entire box set of The Chronicles of Narnia, and from what I'm told I liked them so much I finished the entire set before I started the 6th grade. As I don't remember much aside from bits and pieces I'm planning on rereading the series very soon!

Return to “Discuss Authors”