C.S Lewis

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Patox
Currently Reading: Death Must Go On!
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: C.S Lewis

Post by Patox »

I loved Alice in the Wonderland. Very nice tales.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I have read all the Narnia books as a child and I thoroughly enjoyed them.
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by flaming_quills »

I agree with this. Granted I've only read The Chronicles of Narnia but at first glance I could tell the storytelling was masterful. He knows how to weave a captivating tale and take you along on a spellbinding journey over the course of say, 100-150 pages, which is worth applause.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

The Chronicles of Narnia were so good that I kept wishing there was more of it! To me, they all could have been individual novels instead of one book altogether!
luz0928
Currently Reading: World Without End
Bookshelf Size: 443
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luz0928.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by luz0928 »

When I was younger I read the entire Chronicles of Narnia, and after that I found The Space Trilogy, I'm re-reading it right know, I just finished Perelandra a few days ago and I loved it a lot more than the first book. I think this trilogy has a lot more to offer than people think.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I enjoy reading C. S. Lewis. I particularly enjoyed reading The Chronicles of Narnia when I was smaller.
AdamRedWolf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamredwolf.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by AdamRedWolf »

I had heard that Lewis wrote both the Space Trilogy and Chronicles of Narnia to answer challenges by Tolkien. Supposedly Tolkien told Lewis he could never write fiction, so he was compelled to write both fantasy and sci-fi to prove Tolkien wrong.

Anybody else ever heard this? I'm having a hard time confirming this.
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
- Bokonon (Kurt Vonnegut), Cat's Cradle
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

AdamRedWolf wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 11:41 I had heard that Lewis wrote both the Space Trilogy and Chronicles of Narnia to answer challenges by Tolkien. Supposedly Tolkien told Lewis he could never write fiction, so he was compelled to write both fantasy and sci-fi to prove Tolkien wrong.

Anybody else ever heard this? I'm having a hard time confirming this.
Yes! I have heard that Tolkien said that no book with a lamppost in it could be a good fantasy book, so Lewis put the lamppost in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I don't have proof, but I've read it somewhere.
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

The only books I’ve ever read by CS Lewis are the Chronicles of Narnia which I’ve read about a thousand times. A true classic series. Based on this thread I might have to check out some of his other work. I know a lot of it tends to have a Christian slant (more subtle in the Narnia series in my opinion) but could be worth checking out.
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
PhyllisAnne
Currently Reading: Into the Wild
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phyllisanne.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by PhyllisAnne »

The thing I like the most about C.S. Lewis' writing is how he can convey so many layers of meaning so innocently. While on the outside his stories are fun little tales about a lion and some kids like in The Chronicles of Narnia or an inventive retelling of Psyche and Cupid in Till We Have Faces, but in them are buried layers of principles and realities that range from the well known to the much more sophisticated and difficult. In my opinion, Lewis very skillfully weaves his theology and beliefs into everything that he writes in a way that is easily recognizable for those looking for it and is still enjoyable for people that don't share his beliefs.
I, personally, love his theological books as well and think that they can still offer readers a lot even if they don't have the same beliefs. But I also realize that not a lot of people feel the same. For those that are interested, a few of my favorites are The Weight of Glory, The Great Divorce, The Screwtape Letters, The Four Loves, and, for those that want to dive right in, his classic Mere Christianity.
monserrat_21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monserrat-21.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by monserrat_21 »

I've only read The Chronicles of Narnia and, out of the seven books, my favorite one is The Horse And His Boy[\i]. I really like the characters and the change in setting. And I loved that my two favorite Pevensies, Edmund and Susan, make an appearance in this book.
“That’s the thing about books. They let you travel without moving your feet.”

Jhumpa Lahiri
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I've only read The Chronicles of Narnia, probably more than several times and I loved them. The idea of being able to get into another world in anyway is fascinating. Right around the time I first read these, the movie "Poltergeist" was out. Kind of strange to think of it this way or like in the movie which came out much later called "The Ring" in which the girl keeps crawling out of the well and out through the television. Hmmm. Harry Potters nice magical world on another side is comforting. Philosophically, I also think of the various levels of Narnia as being Platonic when one thinks of "The Allegory of the Cave" or when thinking of Platos' notion of forms. Also somewhat like the "Matrix" movies. I haven't read anything else by C.S. Lewis but I did see "Shadowlands" and it is probably one of my favorite movies, but very sad.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: A Date with Justice
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

I'm currently re reading the Narnia books and enjoying them as much as I did when I was younger. I just love the reason behind the lamp post in the story though! The fact that Tolkein said that any respected work of fiction would never have something as futile as a lamp post as a plot point. C.S. Lewis proved him wrong!!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

The Chronicles of Narnia are some of the first books that my parents read to me when I was really young. I like the movies, too. I'll always be fond of them for all the childhood memories. My siblings and I used to watch Prince Caspian every single Sunday. We could all quote pretty much every line. My parents eventually got sick of it and bought The Voyage of the Dawn Treader so we would watch something else for once.
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson

Return to “Discuss Authors”