Charles Dickens vs William Shakespeare

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
MrWriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrwriter.html
Latest Review: Followed my Star by AR Annahita

Charles Dickens vs William Shakespeare

Post by MrWriter »

If I had to pick one it would be Shakespeare. Shakespeare wrangles a shear beauty from the English language in a way (from my purely subjective view) that doesn't really have a comparison in dramatic prose. Dickens writing is robust, astute and witty but it isn't memorable and interesting in the same way.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Shakespeare's writing is indeed beautiful and would sound musical to the ear. However, as I have only read one book ( The Merchant of Venice), I would be biased towards Dickens. Nothing to do with the writing. I just enjoyed the books.
cosmic_juno
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by cosmic_juno »

As a former theatre kid, I am heavily biased towards ol’ Billy Shakes. Not only are his works just divine, they’re so hard to perform well so when you see it, it’s amazing! A great Shakespeare performance is one that will leave you thinking for days after you’ve seen it. But on the writing side since I’m sort of being unfair to Dickens, I find Shakespeare’s works a lot more interesting and the language pulls me in much more.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

I love them both for two different reasons.
I love Shakespeare for the drama and comedy of the Theatre (being a former Theater Major his works mean a lot to me). Plus, I love Dickens for a look at the world back in his day. Besides,
Every year I read A Christmas Carol. It's my own little tradition.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
SavannahJones
Currently Reading: I will make of thee a great nation
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannahjones.html
Latest Review: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation by Val D. Greenwood
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SavannahJones »

I do enjoy Shakespeare, but I love Dickens. A Tale of Two Cities vs. Taming of the Shrew? Two Cities wins, hands down! Although, Julius Caesar is a classic and very interesting, as is Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet is Shakespeare's most famous play, and my least favorite of his works.
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

I love them both. Thing I find interesting is Shakespeare’s plays were meant to be enjoyed on the stage and yet most people have only read them. Dickens work is real and complex in a way I appreciate. It’s hard to pick because they are from different eras, wrote different types of literature and saw the world differently.
As I type I find myself going back and forth over which is better - I just can’t do it!
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I would pick Charles Dickens, as he has a unique writing style and his books have a deeper meaning, causing society to question itself. With that being said, William Shakespeare is also an amazing author, and his way with words is wonderful.
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

In my opinion, only Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, and Balzac are on the same level as Shakespeare. So the answer is easy.
Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: From Weekend Golfer to Pro Golfer in Two Years by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Susan Gibbs »

I would probably choose Shakespeare. His works are classic and timeless. There are lessons from his plays that still apply to life today. His plots tend to stand out in my mind more than the works of Dickins. Shakespeare's plays are quite dramatic eg Hamlet.
Draoi Oscar

Post by Draoi Oscar »

Shakespeare is a monumental historical figure whose "contributions" to the human culture transcend literature. But I'll say both. I enjoy Dickens' works immensely too.
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

I prefer William Shakespeare because he's got a powerful mind and great expression of his work through playing with words. I love the way he played with words and signify its meaning.

Charles Dickens, is also superb and I love all his works.

It's just that I really admire William more
_Elisa_

Post by _Elisa_ »

They are two literary giants and it is really difficult to choose, but as Ben Jonson wrote, "“He was not of an age, but for all time!” so I'll go with Shakespeare.
elac
Favorite Book: The Goldfinch
Currently Reading: Kafka On The Shore
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by elac »

I am fond of Dickens for his juvenile themes and his humor.
Vivian Amponsah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Vivian Amponsah »

They are all intelligent, I just prefer Shakespeare.
AllReads

Post by AllReads »

Charles Dickens for me
No disrespect to Williams but Charles was with me since infancy

Return to “Discuss Authors”