Authors of Children's Books

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
readertim109
Bookshelf Size: 0

Authors of Children's Books

Post by readertim109 »

Who do you think are the best authors of children's books? What makes a good children's author?

It probably depends on the age-range of the children, right?
"Show me the books he loves and I shall know the man far better than through mortal friends."
~ Dawn Adams ~
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I want to say creativity, but I realize that all authors need a lot of creativity. I think children's authors need a different kind of creativity, though. I think they need an outlandish creativity, such as the type of creativity of cartoons or Dr. Seuss books. I find that type of creativity similar to that of horror writers, because both create not only fictional events, but also fictional universes with a original set of fictional rules.

What does everyone else think?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Trinah

Post by Trinah »

I would say some of the better ones are:

Lemony Snickett
Jacqueline Wilson - esp the earlier ones, not so much the latest ones
Joy Cowley
Anthony Horrowitz
Enid Blyton
J.K. Rowling

And a few others I've forgotten.
Linda

Post by Linda »

when i was a kid i used to love shel silverstein. i used to read all his poetry books like the one thats like The Light in the Attic. man those books were thick...but awsome. I couldn't believe it when i found out later he wrote for Playboy or something lmao so funny.
"I hope you can't sleep and you dream about it
And when you dream I hope you can't sleep and you SCREAM about it
I hope your conscience EATS AT YOU and you can't BREATHE without me"
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

Children's books have to have strong stories to keep kids interested. Adults may love books for their character, settings or language, but kids get bored too easy if there isn't a good solid, well paced story to keep them going.

Favourites of mine as a kid were Roald Dahl, Astrid Lindgren, Judy Blume, LM Montgomery... there are more I'm sure!
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

Herstory

Post by Herstory »

Yes, children's authors are definitely defined by their target audience readership - but here are a few terrific examples:

Helen Ketteman - Aunt Hilarity's Bustle (et al)

Debbie Dadey - Vampires Don't Wear Polka Dots (et al)

Dr. Seuss - Horton Hears a Who (et al)

Rudyard Kipling - Just So Stories

Robert Munsch - Good Families Don't (et al)

Lois Lowry - The Giver
chrissy

Post by chrissy »

My favorite children's picture book author is Jan Brett.
tngwstlnd

Post by tngwstlnd »

For little kids, I loved Where the Wild Things Are and other weird books. I was a strange kid. I still am, actually! :lol:

But anyway, for older kids (say, 5-10?) I would definitely cite Roald Dahl, as well as Shel Silverstein--the man was a genius. Both of them!

I would also add, for 12-15, The Giver, even though I know it's been mentioned. It's probably, for me, the greatest--with exception of The Perks of Being a Wallflower, but the content in there is rather more mature--pre-teen book ever written. As well, there is The Outsiders and The Chronicles of Narnia.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

tngwstlnd most small children love "weird" books. Fantasy and wildness, naughtiness are all common loves of kids!

tngwstlnd

Post by tngwstlnd »

True... too bad alot of them grow up to be sheep, following whatever someone else does, including losing their imagination.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

That's a pretty jaded view of the world for someone so young.

Karen

Post by Karen »

I raised two daughters, who are both in college now, and doing very well. I have found that if you simply take your children to the local book store, give them a price limit, and set them free in the Children's books, you won't go wrong. I did that with my daughters. Personally I enjoyed Louisa May Alcott - both Little Women and Little Men; A.A. Milne - his 4 book set of poems and stories relating to Winnie the Pooh and Christopher Robin; and Dr. Seuss books.

I think that adults have different favorites, and I think that this is true for children too. All that anyone can say about what makes a good author for any genre is what that person, personnally enjoys. :)
babypinkcandygirl

Post by babypinkcandygirl »

when i was a kid i loved boks where kids get back at adults (roal dahl was fasntastic at this!) either by going off and having adventures without grown ups or by teaching them a lesson. i think kids are so used to being talked down to that they wont tolerate it in a book for a second.
what's your top ten...?
complimentarymatters

Post by complimentarymatters »

Did anyone say Dr. Seuss? I love all of his books.
callalilly

Post by callalilly »

I liked E.B. White. Charlotte's Web is a classic.

Return to “Discuss Authors”