Authors of Children's Books

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Linda
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Linda »

i loved Sharon Creech when i was a kid. I read one of her books Chasing Redbird when i was in elementary school and i absolutely adored it!

also Jean Craighead George, who wrote Julie of the Wolves was a favorite of mine when i was younger.

I also got a kick out of The Royal Diaries books by Kristiana Gregory which were a bunch of books the author wrote from the point of view of princesses...for some reason i loved the Cleopatra one and I read it like twenty times. it was called Cleopatra VII: Daughter of the Nile, Egypt, 57 B.C.

i miss those days!
"I hope you can't sleep and you dream about it
And when you dream I hope you can't sleep and you SCREAM about it
I hope your conscience EATS AT YOU and you can't BREATHE without me"
booklover85

Post by booklover85 »

I liked E.B White and Ann M. Martin as a child. Oh and Francine Pascal (author of the Sweet Valley High series.) For me, when I was younger (and even today), I looked for books that I could understand the plot. I wasn't into the fantasy and science fiction (like Animorphs). Ann M. Martin and Francine Pascal wrote about normal every day girls and boys who faced every day challenges.

I liked E.B. White because even though his characters were talking animals, it felt as if they were real life characters facing these situations. Oh and L.M. Montgomery; I loved Anne Shirley and Green Gables.

If an author can bring a child to reading using whatever genre or story layout he or she can use, then they are a good author in my eyes.
Last edited by booklover85 on 29 Nov 2007, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.
booklover85

Post by booklover85 »

I also got a kick out of The Royal Diaries books by Kristiana Gregory which were a bunch of books the author wrote from the point of view of princesses...for some reason i loved the Cleopatra one and I read it like twenty times. it was called Cleopatra VII: Daughter of the Nile, Egypt, 57 B.C.

i miss those days!
I loved that series growing up. I also enjoyed the diary series from different girls living in different era in American History.
awelker

Post by awelker »

yea i totally loved those books too. they were my favorite. im kinda sad that i got rid of the a couple years ago. i should of kept them for my kids.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
Somusan

Post by Somusan »

I love Roald Dahl's works. I think his writing have fulfilled a missing part of my common life which means that I might, sometime, want to strike back to those bossy adults while actually I can only listen and obey. (Not anymore though. I think the books have affected my adult life and I'm getting to be more aggressive) :lol:
booklover1970

Post by booklover1970 »

the best children's books don't assume their audience to be stupid and babyish - they are just as well written for adults as they are for children. in my opinion of course!
victory08

Post by victory08 »

as for me, when i was young i read Andersen books... And Grimm brothers
crawford

Post by crawford »

The best children´s authors that I enjoyed when I was younger are Enid Blyton - Noddy, Famous Five, Secret Seven, The Faraway Tree books, Wishing Chair books, the boarding school books, etc.

I have also enjoyed the Harry Potter series (as an adult).

I loved the Anne of Green Gables books and other books that this author wrote.

I also love the Road Dahl books.

I guess I can´t forget ¨The Hobbit¨ by JR Tolkien - that is a brilliant book.

I also read the Babysitter Club books, Sweet Valley High books, I was a fan of Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden books.

I also loved ¨The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett and of course as people have mentioned on here, Hans Christian Anderson and the Grimm Fairy Tales!

I loved the books I read as a child :)
therewaseden

Post by therewaseden »

As a young child, I enjoyed the series books like The Boxcar Children, The Babysitter's Club, and Nancy Drew. Also, Harriett The Spy and The Secret Garden. I think the appeal for me was getting wrapped up in other childrens' lives (which always seemed more eventful and interesting than mine), and also strong female main characters who were strong, determined, creative and smart.
I also strongly encourage Dr. Seuss, to nurture the imagination, and Shel Silverstein for child(ren) to read out loud so they can understand the beauty and nuances of the English language, and the fact that there is no limit to silliness and creativity.

Judy Blume is a great one for girls, discussing the awkwardness of growing up. It gave me a way to identify without the embarrassment of talking to my mom about it. :)
atrixa

Post by atrixa »

Trinah wrote: Jacqueline Wilson - esp the earlier ones, not so much the latest ones
I agree- I grew up reading her books. I think she has a great eye for what kids want to read. I think her concept of maturity is a bit off, though. Take Girls in Love for example- that isn't necessarily how 13 year olds think and act.

I loved Roald Dahl in my younger years, too. He just has such a great imagination.

Oh, just remembered Judy Blume's Forever. That is such a realistic portrayal of a first intimate relationship that when I finished reading it I just wanted to find her and kiss her... I read it last year, I think.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Groucho Marx
US comedian with Marx Brothers (1890 - 1977)
yoyo011

Post by yoyo011 »

Hans Christian

I like his books
speechless

Post by speechless »

No one has said Louis Sachar! He's one of my favorites authors. He wrote the Sideways Stories from Wayside School books, as well as Holes. Those are some of my favorite books ever.

I also liked the Animorph series by...K.A. Applegate, I believe. I thought the idea of turning into animals was cool. Plus, she gave a lot of detail about the way various animals think and behave. I learned a lot.

Roald Dahl was a favorite as well, but I guess everyone likes him ;)

The "Help I'm Trapped in ______'s Body" books were fun too, by Todd Strasser. I've always liked the creative, fantastical book genre, even now.

Oh, and the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling is amazing. Can't forget that.
ebookman568

Post by ebookman568 »

yes
San1968

Post by San1968 »

My daughter is 5 and she loves Julia Donaldson books and the Lauren Child - Charlie and Lola books, in both these cases there is humour and rhyme. They make my daughter laugh and they have both inspired a love of books in her. She is now interested in the Rainbow Fairies books and although they are not high brow children’s fiction because she is such a girlie girl she loves fairies. I think children need books that cover areas they are interested in and that suit their personality my daughter loves being made to laugh.

When I was young I loved The Lion the witch and the Wardrobe, as well as 101 Dalmatians. But I believe that children love serials so that they can look forward to reading the next one. I wish there had been more serials like Jacqueline Wilson and Dick King Smith when I was younger.
stretch

Post by stretch »

Wind in the Willows, by Kenneth Graham! That book is one of the greatest ever written, adults or children.

Return to “Discuss Authors”