Authors of Children's Books

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
mosquito
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mosquito »

sleepydumpling wrote:Children's books have to have strong stories to keep kids interested. Adults may love books for their character, settings or language, but kids get bored too easy if there isn't a good solid, well paced story to keep them going.

Favourites of mine as a kid were Roald Dahl, Astrid Lindgren, Judy Blume, LM Montgomery... there are more I'm sure!
I agree with Roald Dahl definitely - among other things I love that he can be dark in a kids book, e.g. things/people die... e.g. The Giant Peach

I recently started reading to my children, when they went to bed, from a book I was reading which was quite sad, dark, complex, strong and interesting prose, - the book was Tim Winton, The Riders - my kids loved it - they seemed to get caught up in the descriptive side and use of words and the "then and now" story... I did not start at the beginning or finish at the end, they simply got a chapter or two wherever I was up to. I did it because we were on holiday and had no kids books and I was to tiered to make up a story... the result was surprising and I will do it again.
ChrisSamsDad

Post by ChrisSamsDad »

Though this seems to be a dead thread, I'll just like add Philip Pullman, not just the Northern Lights trilogy, he's done some great other books too. He's really very readable by adults, you don't get the sense it's a kid's book at all.
Traycee

Post by Traycee »

I bought Philip Pullman for my nephew, i think it was the first one the in northern lights trilogy. Must admit was really wanting to read it myself :lol:
My youngest daughter is a huge Beatrix Potter fan.
My favourite is the hungry caterpillar, though im not sure who wrote it
ChrisSamsDad

Post by ChrisSamsDad »

Traycee wrote: My favourite is the hungry caterpillar, though im not sure who wrote it
It was Eric Carle,pure genius:
urasay

Post by urasay »

anyone checked out Eoin Colfer? my 13 year old cousin is crazy about his artemis fowl series. i have read all of them and totally enjoyed em. he is also finishing the sixth book in the hitch hikers series. jack london was fav when i was a kid. and i remember black beauty was the first book that made me cry.
Little Hero

Post by Little Hero »

My favourite books as a child were Charlotte's Web by E.B White (at a young age this made me very sympathetic to the plight of farm animals and I think was one of my main influences to become a vegetarian) and pretty much anything by Roald Dahl! In particular Charlie and the Chocolate Factory which was the first 'real' book I ever read, Matilda and James & The Giant Peach. His characters were unforgettable and I remember finding his use of language hilarious as a child, and still now actually :lol:
N.B.W

Post by N.B.W »

Eoin colfer... though his books are for older children like ages 12 and up, but still his books are amazing and not to mention hillarious!
Amelia

Post by Amelia »

I have to add Roald Dahl, too. He had so much fun with words, particularly in The BFG.
I read Sweet Valley High, The Goosebumps series, The Babysitters Club, Enid Blyton and Trixie Beldon.
Harry Potter I discovered in my later teens, along with Melina Marchetta's Looking For Alibrandi and Saving Francesca. John Marsden was my favourite author in my teens, and continues to be so.
Last edited by Amelia on 12 Apr 2010, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
soniakhan33

Post by soniakhan33 »

J.K. Rowling is good children author.........
Kathleen Murphy

Post by Kathleen Murphy »

Don't forget Beverly Cleary and Madeleine L'Engle. For pictures books my kids love anything by Marc Brown (Authur series), Doreen Cronin and Katherine Holabird (Angelina Ballerina) and, of course, Jan Brett.
PhotonicGuy

Post by PhotonicGuy »

Well, I have seen some very good writers mentioned here, and renowned ones too, and I agree with most of them. Allow me to tell you few authors which are not english speakers, but I know there are good translations of their works available. One of them is a russian author, Nikolai Nosov, who wrote a trilogy - The Trilogy of Dunno - the original russian name of the main character being Niznaika. The trilogy is lovely, and for kids 5-10 years old is a must. I read it more than 10 times, and I read it even now with great pleasure. And also, for kids a little older (12-16 years), adventure books by Jules Verne and Karl May are making them imaginative, and also they learn many things. And to mention an english writer too - of course you already mentioned J.R.R. Tolkien, with the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but I think his original book, A hobbit tale, is more appropriate for a kid.
Shasti

Post by Shasti »

Agreeing that kids' books need to be very quick to 'grab' the reader, to engross them in the story and not to let either the story - or the reader - wander off course...
For very young readers, the magic of Tony Ross, Peg Maltby and Babette Cole are brilliant. I've still got books by these authors on my shelves for when young 'uns come by (oh, okay! I also keep them 'cos I love flipping through them every now and again too! it's the teacher/artist/big kid in me).
For the growing mind, those staples that have been mentioned by just about everyone are great.

But - why has no-one mentioned Alan Garner? He is a true magician when it comes to young fantasy. I loved Elidor and The Weirdstone of Brisingamen so much, I spent nearly a year hunting down my own copies. For those who have not read either, they are almost like 'mini' Tolkien-esque tales. Worthy of sitting beside Tolkien and CS Lewis 'Narnia' books.
SheldrakeWriter
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheldrakewriter.html
Latest Review: "A Newlywed's Adventures in Married Land" by Shweta Ganesh Kumar

Post by SheldrakeWriter »

I think the best authors are those who never really grew up, but who also understand the pain of leaving childhood behind. Children's literature is the only kind where it is not written by the audience demographic.
Latest Review: "A Newlywed's Adventures in Married Land" by Shweta Ganesh Kumar
whitewing2611
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Wintersmith - Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading: The Sleeping Beauty - Mercedes Lackey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitewing2611.html
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by whitewing2611 »

Enid Blyton and Roald Dahl. I still feel the urge to reread the Faraway Tree and I'm 23.
BetzyCrypt
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-betzycrypt.html

Post by BetzyCrypt »

One of the greatest Children's series that to seems to this day is still being produced is The Goosebumps series by R.L.Stine. Another fantastic one is Junie B. Jones!

Return to “Discuss Authors”