Edith Wharton

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
dheyd
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dheyd.html

Re: Edith Wharton

Post by dheyd »

I was required to read Ethan Frome for a college class and I really enjoyed Wharton's style of writing. I have to admit though, that at times I found Ethan's character annoying because he is unable to make a decision. Although with all the going back and forth with himself, I never expected the ending.
Charlotte Reese
Currently Reading: A Year in Provence
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlotte-reese.html

Post by Charlotte Reese »

Perrywinkle47 wrote:What are the themes of her stories?
I've only read two of her novels, "The Age of Innocence" and "The House of Mirth" which are about the privileged class of early 20th century New York society. The themes of her novels include the stifling demands of society versus individual happiness, the conflict between duty and personal fulfillment and the constricted roles of women in marriage and society.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

A truly incredible writer!...an anomaly in the fact that even though very " prolific " ( 38 books in her lifetime ) she still retained her greatness...
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

I think Age of Innocence is one of my favorite books; it was so emotionally powerful as it was hard to decide who to feel sorry for, especially since no one in the central love triangle goes out to be cruel to each other.

I read over half of House of Mirth while I was at the optometrist near the end of the year not too long ago. I kept internally begging Lily Bart that everything was going wrong.

Has anyone read any of her nonfiction works?
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

Jenn+books wrote: 01 Oct 2013, 09:13 House of Mirth, definitely! It is one of my favorite books of all time. Lily Bart is a very real character--she doesn't seem like a cardboard cutout in any way. And I know the end is sad, but it is real. Every time I read this book I get more out of it. I almost put this book as my favorite book, but Jane Eyre just barely edged out. Read it!
I have only read House of Mirth and forget about the others until they are mentioned. My studies in literature are mostly British--I think I only took two or three American lit classes and those were as an undergrad.

I read this book for my American Contemporary Novel class many moons ago. I really enjoyed it and I agree that while it is a bit tragic, it is authentic and sincere. Lily doesn't feel like a forced character and she is relatively easy to relate to
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)

Return to “Discuss Authors”