Any of you have a favorite children's author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
vanessaonelove
Currently Reading: A Return to Love
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessaonelove.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B013EX0QM6

Re: Any of you have a favorite children's author?

Post by vanessaonelove »

Dr Suess! AKA Theodor Seuss Geisel. I actually only ever read them as an adult but I still loved them! I think it was the odd, surreal creatures and their worlds combined with those rhymes! I loved those rhymes - some of the most insightful children and adult situations and issues dealt with in a playful but meaningful way! Great storytelling!
Lenny1886
Currently Reading: Sense and Sensibility
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lenny1886.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Lenny1886 »

Books+anime+Beatles wrote: 03 Feb 2014, 17:33 If we are talking about books for very young readers, then maybe Beatrix Potter... If we are talking about children literature for older readers, then I would say Enid Blyton and, for even older, I think, Louise May Alcott. I don't mention Lucy Maud Montgomery, because I don't consider her books children literature, I think they are for young adults and, at least if we are talking about Anne of Green Gables and its sequels, I think they're also for adults.
I completely agree with you about LM Montgomery, and it was my exact thought as I clicked on this topic! She’s actually just in general my favourite author. I can definitely see how the first in the series ends up being marketed for children as Anne is a child for the majority of it. But the rest deal with her as an adult and some themes that children probably wouldn’t get.

I also loved the Dear Canada series. Each book was of course written by a different author so it’s less of an author thing. But I loved the fact that it was telling important events in Canadian and world history through the eyes of young girls. To this day I want to continue expanding my collection!

Last one. Mary Pope Osborne. Loved them! Also a children’s historical series. Maybe that’s why I’m so into historical fiction now? I only read the first 30 or so of the series because that’s when I was actually a child, but there’s a whole other half to it that was written as well, though I can’t vouche for it.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

R.L. Stine and C.S. Lewis
Javier Campos
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javier-campos.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Javier Campos »

Dr. Seuss for sure! I'm a sucker for rhymes.
Cswrawr
Currently Reading: El Conde Karlstein
Bookshelf Size: 1011
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cswrawr.html
Latest Review: Isabella's Painting by Ellen Butler

Post by Cswrawr »

I loved Tomie DePaola when I was a kid, Oliver Button is a Sissy was one of my constant rereads, only alternating between that and Fly Homer Fly by Bill Peet.
As an adult I recently reread all the Little House on the Prairie books and I have a much bigger appreciation of Laura Ingalls Wilder than I thought I would.
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

When I was in kindergarten I was obsessed with the Junie B. Jones books so I would probably have to say Barbara Parks. However, Lemony Snicket is also a good one
4cynthia72
Currently Reading: Word collector
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by 4cynthia72 »

Dunbar Webb Evelyn, I recently read her book and I love it, it's good for children.
Amanda Nixon
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

robertcjgraves wrote: 11 Dec 2013, 12:12 As a boy, I read a lot of C.S. Lewis, Jack London, Rudyard Kipling, Wilson Rawls, and even Judy Blume. I think all of those authors are excellent. Right now, I love reading Dr. Seuss to my toddler, especially Fox in Sox.

Can't believe C.S Lewis didn't pop into my head but I totally agree
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

Gianni Rodari. He was one of the most talented Italian writers of books for children. I still have some from when I was a child. God bless my mum for keeping them safe through the years.
Berry :wine:
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I absolutely love Patrica C. Wrede. Her Enchanted Forest Chronicles inspired me as a child and I recommend them to anyone with small children, especially daughters. They're fun to read together and easy for kids to read on their own. They're so creative and unique! I cannot rave about her books enough!
silvercoug
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvercoug.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by silvercoug »

Walter Farley will always be a favorite author because of his Black Stallion series. It is enjoyable but surprisingly deep. Kids can enjoy the story as they get older but even young children like to listen to the intense scenes Farley paints with his words!
BobeckBaron
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BobeckBaron »

My favorite children’s author is Roald Dahl. I still remember reading his books late into the night starting around 8 years old...ah, good memories...
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Mine is Roald Dahl and C.S. Lewis. I also like Oscar Wilde's stories for children. Actually I find those books more attractive which, in spite of being meant for children, can appeal to adults also. I found that in the works of all three authors I mentioned.
amale
Currently Reading: the long way to a small angry planet
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amale.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by amale »

Tamora Pierce's The Song of the Lioness Quartet and later the Protector of the Small are what launched my lifelong interest in reading and books, which eventually led to my current career as a librarian. There is just something about those books that captivated me and I try to reread both series at least once every couple of years. Possibly the strong female character (as in the knight in shining armor was a young girl/woman instead of a boy/man), which at the time, there were not many to choose from in books in the mid 90's.

In terms of picture books I agree with others that mentioned Tomie DePaola! Strega Nona is a classic! Beatrice Potter is another favorite I'd say as well.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

Beverly Cleary was definitely my favorite children's author. I read almost all of her books between third to fifth grade. She seemed to accurately grasp what it was like to be a young kid, and that's what made her books especially enjoyable to me.

Return to “Discuss Authors”