Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Discuss Authors

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Favorite fantasy writers

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.

Re: Favorite fantasy writers

Post Number:#16 by BrandyBeaudin
» 06 Jan 2017, 12:41

I will broadly be saying my favorite fantasy writer is my cousin Samantha Lafantasy. She made me fall in love with her original story Heart Song, and from there she has written three more to that series! They are so well wrote that you really believe you are there with the characters! Can't wait till she comes out with her next one!
BrandyBeaudin

Currently Reading: unEnchanted (An unfortunate tale)
Bookshelf Size: 17 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 6 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#17 by Mark Johnson
» 18 Jan 2017, 05:11

RA Salvatore and his stories of the Dark Elf, Drizzt Do'Urden. Those books got me hooked on Epic Fantasy. Also love Orson Scott Card's Ender Series. Hard to pick a favorite. Also like Jim Butcher, Terry Goodkind, Terry Brooks, and Patrick Rothfuss.
Mark Johnson's Latest Review: "USA, Inc." by Larry Kahaner
Mark Johnson

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#18 by Athena2017
» 18 Jan 2017, 14:15

A Wrinkle In Time was one of my favorite books as a kid.
Athena2017

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#19 by sakini
» 20 Jan 2017, 20:50

My favorite fantasy author is Neil Gaiman. I just love the unique stories and settings that he comes up with. My favorite of his is Stardust.
sakini

Currently Reading: The Happiness Project
Bookshelf Size: 33 books

Post Number:#20 by Sparkletime
» 26 Jan 2017, 13:06

Tad Williams never gets enough love. His Shadowmarch series is amazing but I love the he has so so many series that end at book 3 or 4 and then he just moves on and makes another world. I admit I'm excited for his sequel trilogy to the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn books though. He's also usually on the list of inspirations for most modern fantasy authors.
Sparkletime

Currently Reading: The Tombs of Atuan
Bookshelf Size: 20 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 30 Books
Goal Completion: 50%

Post Number:#21 by Ginya
» 01 Feb 2017, 23:13

Though I definitely like some of the authors discussed above I would choose Patricia McKillip if I had to pick a favorite. Her prose is an enchantment in itself, it just sounds so beautiful that sometimes you can enjoy the rhythm of it without even comprehending the meaning. Winter Rose and Od Magic are a few favorites ; ) The emotions of her characters run deep and I often find myself gripping the page as I read through a hard decision or harrowing challenge set before a main character
Though this has nothing to do with the books themselves, her choice of artist is also amazing. I think very few can adequately capture the worlds she describes within but Kinuko Craft somehow pulls it off in beautiful ways...
Ginya

Currently Reading: It Ended Badly
Bookshelf Size: 24 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books

Post Number:#22 by AlaskasJade
» 03 Mar 2017, 23:08

Terry Goodkind, Brandon Mull, Rick Riordan.
AlaskasJade

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#23 by Cyndel Maria
» 05 Mar 2017, 00:35

Like Sci-fi I don't like fantasy too much but I love the five book series: Fever by Karen Marie Moning
Cyndel Maria

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#24 by constantine265
» 05 Mar 2017, 15:52

Fantasy is my favorite genre and I have to mention Tolkien and Elin Pelin who introduced me to the literature and never stop to amaze me with depth of their stories. Also J.R.R. Martin whom I consider to be Tolkien of our generation.
constantine265's Latest Review: "(Ways to) Lucena" by Mois Benarroch
constantine265

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 24 Books
Goal Completion: 45%

Post Number:#25 by KasieMiehlke
» 07 Mar 2017, 17:40

My favorite famtasy author would have to be Branden Sanderson. He is a fantastic author. I have recommended Elantris several times and the person I recommended it to always ends up gettimg other books of Sanderson's.
KasieMiehlke's Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
KasieMiehlke

Currently Reading: Evil Within
Bookshelf Size: 116 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 150 Books
Goal Completion: 14%

Post Number:#26 by Dh_
» 18 Mar 2017, 15:45

Natalie394 wrote:Morgan Rhodes is an excellent fantasy writer. Her Falling Kingdoms series is full of amazing characters and the world is so engaging and entertaining. It is described as a YA Game of Thrones and, even though I've never seen it, I think that is quite an accurate description. The 5th book in the series has just come out and I am very excited to read it.

I agree! I love the falling kingdoms series. Alex Flinn is a great author too.
Dh_

Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: Carry On
Currently Reading: Nobody cares who you are
Bookshelf Size: 112 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 32%

Post Number:#27 by Musinguzi Arnold
» 20 Mar 2017, 08:27

I think we all struggle with our own issues to some extent or another, just not all of us are willing to admit it. I also find benefit from reading books such as these, and this sounds like a good one. I applaud you for being willing to be open about your struggles as well. Thanks for the review.

-- 20 Mar 2017, 08:27 --

I think we all struggle with our own issues to some extent or another, just not all of us are willing to admit it. I also find benefit from reading books such as these, and this sounds like a good one. I applaud you for being willing to be open about your struggles as well. Thanks for the review.
Musinguzi Arnold

Previous