Who's Your Favorite Author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Bella_1234
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: Who's Your Favorite Author?

Post by Bella_1234 »

I don’t have a favorite author yet
But I like this few
Stephen king
Francine rivers
Kara chan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kara-chan.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Kara chan »

Mary H.K. Choi is not only a talented writer, but she is also a voice for Asian representation in literature. Her stories often explore the nuances of identity, culture, and relationships. As an Asian reader, seeing myself and my experiences reflected in her characters has been incredibly validating and empowering.

One of the reasons why Mary H.K. Choi is my favorite author is her writing style. Her prose is witty, raw, and vulnerable. She has a unique talent for capturing the emotional complexities of her characters without being heavy-handed or cliché. Her stories often feel like a coming-of-age tale, with her characters navigating the realities of young adulthood, while also trying to figure out who they are and where they belong in the world. One of my favorite books by Choi is "Permanent Record," which follows the story of a Korean-American college dropout named Pablo Rind. Pablo is struggling to find his purpose in life, and his internal dialogue is both relatable and entertaining.

Another reason why I admire Choi as an author is her commitment to accurately and authentically representing Asian characters and settings. Reading books by authors who are not from marginalized communities can often feel tokenistic or stereotypical. However, Choi's stories are not only about Asian characters, but they are also written by an Asian author. This personal connection to her stories provides an authenticity that readers can feel and appreciate. Furthermore, Choi's portrayal of Asian identity and culture is not limited to the typical tropes and stereotypes often seen in mainstream media. Instead, she paints a nuanced and realistic picture of what it means to be Asian-American.

I also appreciate how Choi challenges the idea of what "Asian American" means. Her characters are not a monolith, and they each have their own unique experiences with their identity. For instance, in "Emergency Contact," the main character Penny Lee is half-Korean and half-white. Her identity is a significant part of her character, but it is not the only thing that defines her. Similarly, in "Yolk," Jayne Baek is a Korean-American woman who comes from a wealthy family, and her story delves into themes of mental health and family dynamics. Seeing the diversity and complexity of Asian characters in Choi's books has been incredibly refreshing and empowering.

Finally, the representation that Choi provides through her stories is essential for Asian readers like myself. Growing up, I often felt like my experiences and struggles were not reflected in the stories that I read. It was rare to see an Asian character that was not a stereotype or a sidekick. However, with authors like Choi, I can now see myself and my experiences reflected in literature. This representation is crucial in validating the experiences of Asian readers and providing a space where our stories can be heard.

In conclusion, Mary H.K. Choi is my favorite author for many reasons. Her writing style is engaging, her characters are relatable, and her commitment to Asian representation in literature is inspiring. Seeing myself and my experiences represented in her stories has been empowering, and I hope that her work will continue to pave the way for more authentic and diverse representation in literature.
Lisa Crego
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lisa Crego »

Throwback Blake Crouch

A majority of his work, including Recursion and previously written. I think my reason for my opinion is obvious if you've been a long time fan! :lol2:

Also, Wayward Pines books=amazing

The show by the same name= blasphemy!
Alyssa422

Post by Alyssa422 »

Nicholas Sparks is my favorite author because I am such a deep hopeless romantic, I love imagining love from other character’s perspective. But I also love Emily Giffin, I have every single one of her books and every one is such a fun + easy read!
Ajiferuke Ajibola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajiferuke-ajibola.html
Latest Review: The Prison of Power by G Michael Smith

Post by Ajiferuke Ajibola »

Two authors have blown my mind with their creativity on Online Book Club in recent times. They are Jack Winnick and Dr. Wellner. I love their stories and writing styles.
asrb_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by asrb_ »

I have two favourite authors, one is Cassandra Clare, I met her through ShadowHunters and she never left my mind. I really like her writing and fell in love with her books. She accompanied me throughout my adolescence and her books were like a refuge for me, my comfort zone, I fell in love with each one of her books.
Another of my favorite authors is Stephen King. I read almost all of his books. I really like classic horror and I was fascinated by the way he wrote it and narrated each story. He has a place in my heart.
Jolien Engelen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jolien-engelen.html
Latest Review: Dylan McLeod-Vexor City by J. B. Christensen

Post by Jolien Engelen »

My favourite author is Terry Goodkind. This was the author who made me fall in love with fantasy. It brought me to a whole new world with dragons, magic, heroes, enemies and lovers. Right now I have 27 books of him. These books are all his series and they are my precious collection. I probably will meet a lot of better authors, but he will stay a legend to me. A man whose books contain not only fantasy but also lessons about life. Every wizard's rule is a new lesson you learn. The characters in his books also have a lot of depth and details. I just love all his books!! Another reason why those books are special to me, is because those books have made me love reading again. Now I'm an absolute bookworm/ devourer.
Kaylyn_Marie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Eater of Gods
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylyn-marie.html
Latest Review: H.O.E Hustle Over Everything by Samantha Camel
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Kaylyn_Marie »

My favorite author is Jennifer Hartmann at the moment, although it changes quite frequently. I recently read Still Beating by her and the writing style and the connection to the characters was unbeatable. I work at a r@pe crisis center and the way she describes trauma and trauma-bonding was so accurate and emotional that I thought I was at work listening to a survivor speak. I definitely recommend her work. I love seeing everyone's recommendations, it's making my TBR even longer now!
~The Tatted Reader :reading-3:
Nimra Kiran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimra-kiran.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Nimra Kiran »

Dostoyevsky, Kafka, Jane Austen, Sylvia Plath, Mark Twain, Charles Dickens....list never ends!
"A bear knows seven songs and they are all about honey."
Sheza Akbar
Favorite Book: A Dream For Peace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheza-akbar.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Sheza Akbar »

Picking a favorite author is tough because I enjoy different things about each one I've read. Some authors I really like are Lee Child, Dan Brown, J.K. Rowling, Umera Ahmed, and Jane Austen. I really like a lot of authors, but I can only remember a few of them – my memory isn't great, haha!
I hold authors dear in my heart, but only a few stick in my memory.
“The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive.” ― John Green, Looking for Alaska
Shing Araya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Shing Araya »

I have a few but this time I'll say, Emanuel James Rohn because I just finished reading his book called The Seasons of Life.

My favorite quote from his book i:

"It is our natural destiny to grow and succeed, prosper & find happiness whilst we are living here."
a1coder
Currently Reading: Nimue
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by a1coder »

It's wonderful to hear that Henry David Thoreau is your favorite author! His work, especially "Civil Disobedience," carries a powerful message that continues to resonate with readers across time. The concept of civil disobedience has inspired movements for social change and individual empowerment.

Your choice of Thoreau's quotes undoubtedly reflects his thought-provoking ideas. His wisdom has the ability to spark introspection and inspire action. If you're drawn to Thoreau's philosophy, you might also find interest in other authors who explore similar themes of individualism and societal reflection, such as Ralph Waldo Emerson or Leo Tolstoy. Exploring their writings could provide you with a broader perspective on the topics that resonate with you.
Danna Vergara
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Diary
Currently Reading: Dracula
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danna-vergara.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Bowling Ball Bombing by Kordel Lentine

Post by Danna Vergara »

My favorite autor is Gabriel García Márquez, Gabo's impact extends far beyond his written words. He was a symbol of resistance against censorship and authoritarian regimes. His unwavering commitment to freedom of expression and his willingness to challenge the status quo made him a literary icon and a voice for the voiceless.
Deidre Turner

Post by Deidre Turner »

I have a few that I just love reading over and over. I think the first was probably Madeleine L'Engle, I have been reading her books since I was young and still find myself going back to them. There is an ease and simplicity to her prose that I like and her books are comforting to me.

I also really enjoy Lisa Gardner and her many mystery novels. They have a good pace to them, and even if I suspect the outcome early on they still keep me intrigued.
Shilpy Bhasin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilpy-bhasin.html
Latest Review: The Vine by Adria L. Dunn

Post by Shilpy Bhasin »

My favourite author has always been Enid Blyton. Probably because her books are what got me hooked to reading in the first place. I started with "The Folk of the Faraway Tree" when I was young..er!! ;)

Another author I liked was Sidney Sheldon and he got me interested in suspense and thrillers.

It has been a while since I've picked up a book because of the author. I hope that gets changed soon.

Return to “Discuss Authors”