Who's Your Favorite Author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
MikeTLyddon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Who's Your Favorite Author?

Post by MikeTLyddon »

That's a tough one. Somewhere around Poe, Lovecraft, Ellison, and Blish. If you haven't read James Blish, you might check out A Case of Conscience or Black Easter (aka Faust Aleph Null). He manages to blend science fiction with the supernatural in a very learned manner. His research into real black magic and related rituals is something few other writers have ever touched upon.
Lunupine
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: The Future of Buildings, Transportation and Power
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunupine.html
Latest Review: Leaving Dahomey by Jude Shaw

Post by Lunupine »

Erin Hunter is my most favorite author. I have and read every book they have written.
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by EternalD »

I can't choose between Shakespeare and Jane Austen. :lol2:
Michel69

Post by Michel69 »

I'm a newbie to this site, just starting to explore the Onlinebookclub. Of course the "my favourite author" question triggered me. I'm happy to share my favourites.

1 J.R.R. Tolkien, by far. The way he created Middle-Earth, not being just a drawn map but complete with all the species, plants, trees etc in it, it really comes to life.
2 Lee Child: sometimes you just want to read for fun, to pass time. Lee Child delivered with his series of books about Jack Reacher, a former MP, a loner with nothing more than the clothes he's wearing, a toothbrush and his wallet.
3 Clive Cussler: especially the Dirk Pitt series, not to complicated, easy reading. His books always make me smile.

I'm really not into this "heavy literature stuff", i love reading books without bothering about a so called "deeper meaning".
Pr59
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pr59.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Pr59 »

chukwuma1986 wrote: 22 May 2018, 15:45 Jeffrey archer remains my number one. prisoner diary i find very interesting and striking. his style and use of words keeps you reading over and over again.
I love Jeffrey Archer also! The first book I saw of his was a bunch of short stories and I loved it because each story had an interesting ending that most people wouldn't guess. I haven't found any other books of his with just short stories. I've tried reading his other books with one story in them and they don't hold my interest as well as the short stories do.
Parahiyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parahiyo.html
Latest Review: Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler

Post by Parahiyo »

The list is endless. I really like James Patterson and Maxine Paetro's books because of their Women's Murder Club series. I haven't really finished them all but am planning to.
There is also Stephen King. He writes amazing books. Love the combination of thriller and romance in Tami Hoag's books. There is also Lisa Gardner, Sidney Sheldon, and John Grisham.
Mstrtim
2021 Reading Goal: 70
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Death of Carthage
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstrtim.html
Latest Review: Holmes & Adler After the Falls A Death at the Derby by Bernard Samuelson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mstrtim »

MikeNapo wrote: 21 Dec 2013, 23:04 Two way tie, and these two couldn't possibly be anymore different from one another:

1- chuck palahniuk- He's raw and rough and his stories cut deep into the dark psyche of humanity

2- toni morrison- her books are like 300 page poems. so beautiful. her book, "Beloved" had a very significant impact on my life. I'm a white man, so that may seem odd, and its a long story, but that book means a ton to me.
I just finished Reading Beloved. It was a most amazing book and my only regret is waiting as long as I did to read it.
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by Archaeoptery »

Anne McCaffrey. She is created the dragons of pern, the first dragon books I started to read.
Zion Alexander
Currently Reading:

Post by Zion Alexander »

My favorite two would be Mark Walden and Chris Bradford.

Return to “Discuss Authors”