Who is currently the best fantasy writer?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
hisamluv
Currently Reading: Sonar The Surge
Bookshelf Size: 16

Who is currently the best fantasy writer?

Post by hisamluv » 28 Oct 2019, 10:28

I don't know your take on this but I'm picking Brandon Mull. He has written some awesome stuff in the last few years. The Five Kingdoms series, The Beyonders series, and so on.

The above mentioned are great books with high ratings. Due to his simple writing style and progressive character development, Mull has proved himself a great author.

You can have a try at one of his books to prove me wrong.I will also suggest Suzane Collins, add your own suggestions please.

AdamRedWolf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamredwolf.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by AdamRedWolf » 28 Oct 2019, 12:16

Brandon Sanderson is, in my humble opinion, the greatest fantasy writer of all time. His characters and magic systems are stunningly complex, but presented in a way that makes them feel so natural.

I've been looking for a new fantasy series. I'll take your recommendation of The Five Kingdoms and give it a try.
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
- Bokonon (Kurt Vonnegut), Cat's Cradle

vermontelf
Currently Reading: The Last House Guest
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by vermontelf » 30 Oct 2019, 08:39

My two favorites of all time have been David Eddings (Belgariad, Diamond Throne series, etc) and Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time series). But I greatly enjoyed reading a few by Brandon Sanderson. I was hooked on the Game of Thrones series long before it was popular, so while I like George RR Martin, his story is excellent but his writing is not quite as strong as DE or RJ.

There are many more fantasy authors I have enjoyed, but very few that I actively dislike reading.

Edna Adams
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Edna Adams » 08 Nov 2019, 10:10

My favorite fantasy author is Marcus Alexander. Keeper of the Realms trilogy is well-written.

KCWolf
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 19
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 64
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Freddie Mercury
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf » 08 Nov 2019, 17:48

Patrick Rothfuss and George RR Martin get my votes. But, of course, I still consider JRR Tolkien the master.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Redemption Trails.

Return to “Discuss Authors”