Your Rating and Overall Opinion of And the Mountains Echoed

Discuss the June 2013 book of the month, "And the Mountains Echoed" by Khaled Hosseini.

How do you rate And the Mountains Echoed?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
No votes
2 stars - fair, okay
14%
3 stars - good, recommend it
31%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
55%

Total votes: 42

Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Re: Your Rating and Overall Opinion of And the Mountains Ech

Post by Taylor Razzani »

Loved this book! Hosseini writes such beautiful yet tragic novels. A definite 4 out of 4, but I would have to give higher praise to A Thousand Splendid Suns.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

The cultural exposure to a world so different than our own is probably my favorite aspect of "And the Mountains Echoed". Watching the siblings grow and be separated was heart wrenching. Seeing their lives later on opened up unexpected emotions.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Kennynathan
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennynathan.html

Post by Kennynathan »

For those who loved the KiteRunner and the Suns, this book will be worth the read. Unfortunately as many pointed out it is a bit of a mental gym, trying to piece the bits together. All the sub-stories are beautiful in themselves, the twin sisters, the strange relationship between the men, but it is the pulling together of the sub-stories which is the wonder of Hosseini! Hungry for the next book!
Crazybud
Favorite Author: Amy Zhang
Currently Reading: Shiver
Bookshelf Size: 1237
fav_author_id: 19621

Post by Crazybud »

I enjoyed the book. But it was not as good as his previous works, especially in terms of character development and plot execution. My favourite is "A Thousand Splendid Suns".
"I'd rather die on an adventure, than live standing still"
- Delilah Bard, A Darker Shade of Magic
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

Not quite as good as Hosseini's other books.. I really do prefer The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns to this one. I read it a long time ago but if I remember correctly, I didn't like how it made me get attached to some characters before forcing me to read about different ones I didn't really care about.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

I loved this book! I have read three of Hosseni's book and never have I been dissapointed. Every time I read him, I feel I am right in Afganistan, and the characters are people I know. The book moves back and forth in time, so can be a bit tricky to read. But once you get pulled into it, the book would stay with you long after you have finished reading it.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I read two other books of Khaled Hosseini, A thousand splendid suns and The kite runner, and I loved them both. I never looked into other books of this author, so I am happy having found this thread of feedback on a different book from him. This is another one I will add to my bookshelves.
Kaivalya Khisti
Currently Reading: The Hand Bringer
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaivalya-khisti.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Kaivalya Khisti »

I found it to be a literary genius. Khaled Hossini has a way with words, striking the right emotional cords in his readers. It is always an absolute pleasure to read him. I have read the book twice and would read it yet again.
atariq
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by atariq »

Scott wrote: 02 Jun 2013, 18:15 How did you like reading And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini? Would you recommend the book to others? Why or why not?
I would recommend everyone to read this book. This book emphasizes on how one man's actions can wind up the action to come and devastate the actions in the present. This book makes you question intentions. When I make a decision are my intentions pure?
Amna Khalid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amna-khalid.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by Amna Khalid »

I'm fan of Khaled Hosseini's books. I have read 3/4 of his books. This book is my 2nd favorite of this author. My first favorite is 'The Kite Runner' and 3rd favorite is 'A Thousand Splendid Sun's.
I would suggest to read all of his books.
Amna Khalid
Mikail Light
Currently Reading: Terms of Service
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikail-nurur-rahmon.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Mikail Light »

It does jump around a lot in time place and characters but this is a good thing as it makes for an active read. It took me a while to get into but then i was hooked.
The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.~ Socrates :techie-studyingbrown:
Ashna_Tibrewal_7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal-7.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Ashna_Tibrewal_7 »

The starting story of book in which the father gives uo his beloved son is simply beautiful. You need to love a person enough to let them go. The continuing storyline around the siblings has my heart.

Return to “"And the Mountains Echoed" by Khaled Hosseini”