Discuss The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and

Discuss the May 2013 book of the month "The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared" by Jonas Jonasson
abcmama89
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 31">Shades of Twilight</a>
Currently Reading: The Children's Crusade
Bookshelf Size: 147

Re: Discuss The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window

Post by abcmama89 »

I actually read that book already. It was pretty good, and I need to add that to my list, I had forgotten that one lol thank you for reminding me
Rizbi
Currently Reading: The Girl in the Spider's Web
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizbi.html
Latest Review: "Patrick's Journey" by Roy T Humphreys
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Rizbi »

I'm afraid I am a minority on this one. It started out alright, but at around Chapter 10, after Allan and the three guys have gone through the Himalayas, I just started getting bored. There are some amusing parts, but I just cannot bring myself to like any of the characters - even Allan :? Felt like I crawled the rest of the time just to finish the book. :cry:
Latest Review: "Patrick's Journey" by Roy T Humphreys
mmandy38
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading: The Zookeeper's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmandy38.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by mmandy38 »

I went into this book not really knowing what to expect, but i was surprisingly pleased. I liked how much adventure a 100-year-old man can go through. On the other hand though, I thought that the book would be solely based in his hundredth year (based on title), and not have so much of the history.
Jausten11
Favorite Book: sun also rises
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jausten11.html

Post by Jausten11 »

The title of this book was so strange that I just had to read it. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It made me laugh out loud several times just because of the oddness. I loved it.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Just saw the movie today. I didn't even know there WAS a movie but I saw it in the video section of the library and checked it out.

VERY FUNNY and well made. It is not the complete book but most of it is there. I think the section of his "love" affair and China is left out.

I can safely recommend it. I think you would like it if you liked the book.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
freya3377

Post by freya3377 »

I took a while to get to this book but now that I've started I wish I started earlier. I'm so enjoying the book and I love the humour. I sometimes go back and reread with that expression of *really, did you just say that* and I'm laughing my head of most time.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

freya3377 wrote:I took a while to get to this book but now that I've started I wish I started earlier. I'm so enjoying the book and I love the humour. I sometimes go back and reread with that expression of *really, did you just say that* and I'm laughing my head of most time.
Yup ... like the part where the guy calls him on the phone and threatens him ...

"Well, if you are going to kill me you better hurry up. I'm 100 years old" *LOL*
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Guppy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guppy.html
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin

Post by Guppy »

I own this book and love it! Both believable and unbelievable and the most hilarious book I have read in a long time. I can only hope that the movie is just as good.
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

lady_charlie wrote: 21 May 2013, 20:57 I laughed so hard! This was not a comedy at all but it really reminded me of Forrest Gump. Just when I thought it was starting to drag and I was starting to lose interest, here we are in North Korea, or trying to hide an elephant. And it isn't just the visual gags that I can see, it is the twisting turning how does the author keep track of where this guy has been and then, just when all hope is lost, turns out he saved this guy's wife that time when he was traveling.

This is a laugh out loud funny book in spots and yet smart and full of historical characters, which I like.

I can't wait to be a hundred now, and my respect for the elderly has increased a hundredfold - if they remember half of the things they have done in life, I should probably sit down and listen to them talk. Even if they don't, they might tell a good story anyway.
Lady Charlie your review makes me not just want to read this book put but in my top ten want to read texts as I love books that have humour .
P Reefer

Post by P Reefer »

Rizbi wrote: 30 Jul 2015, 07:55 I'm afraid I am a minority on this one. It started out alright, but at around Chapter 10, after Allan and the three guys have gone through the Himalayas, I just started getting bored. There are some amusing parts, but I just cannot bring myself to like any of the characters - even Allan :? Felt like I crawled the rest of the time just to finish the book. :cry:
Well this review makes me second guess whether I really want to bother to read this book
P Reefer

Post by P Reefer »

DATo wrote: 15 Apr 2016, 22:48 Just saw the movie today. I didn't even know there WAS a movie but I saw it in the video section of the library and checked it out.

VERY FUNNY and well made. It is not the complete book but most of it is there. I think the section of his "love" affair and China is left out.

I can safely recommend it. I think you would like it if you liked the book.

Great book, quite often makes a great movie. I m finally decided this book is definitely for my want to read and review shelf.
lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Post by lady_charlie »

Yes, I saw the movie too and it was just as cute and full of dark humor as the book.
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

I was simply wondering that why the name is too long? But I think that the book was quite funny and great.
ISJONE

Post by ISJONE »

I very much enjoyed this book. It gave a unique perspective on history and I learned things I hadn't known before. The ending was brilliant, although I felt it could've done without the epilogue. It ruined the impact the ending had. All together, it was a solid book.
Noosh
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Wise Blood
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant
fav_author_id: 17951

Post by Noosh »

I read the book a few years ago and loved it so much!
I mean, it was informative, funny, and full of adventures. What else do you want from a book?
He is 100 years old! What an amazing and eventful life he had!
And hey guys, have you read the second book? I haven’t, yet. But I will! Let’s make that a book of the month as well?
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket

Return to “"The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared"”