Speaker for the Dead

Discuss the April 2013 book of the month "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card
litmonster
Currently Reading: Library of Souls
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-litmonster.html

Re: Speaker for the Dead

Post by litmonster » 07 Sep 2015, 13:47

Shil wrote:If you just finished reading the first book in this series and are expecting another book packed with high intensity action, you are going to be disappointed. I came into this with similar expectations and found the initial chapters to be slightly awkward and far fetched for my taste. However, the story picks up in the chapters 4-5 and I found myself really enjoying the book. It has strong but conflicted main characters who struggle with situations of personal and social dilemma. It shows that love can be grey and varied. There is a certain complexity to this book which makes Ender's Game more childish.

It left me almost believing in this whole new way of perceiving the universe. After the thrill and drama of Ender's game, this book has a contrastingly philosophical undertone. Although not everyone's cup of tea, it is surprisingly refreshing for the open minded reader.

I've debated for a long time whether to pick up and read the rest of the Ender series books. Your description of the next one makes me curious and I will probably pick it up eventually and give it a try. I had some mixed feelings on the writing in Enders Game and could never make up my mind if I liked it, though I enjoyed the story.

CzechTigg
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Post by CzechTigg » 30 Sep 2015, 07:58

ejcogan wrote:I personally haven't read this book yet. My daughter did and said it was very good. On a scale of 1 to 5 she gave it a 4. At some point I will read it, it's on my TBR list, but since finding this site I have so, so many books lined up already. I like all the comments so it will probably be sooner rather than later.
Yes, as if my kindle list and physical book-shelves weren't offering enough options, now the new boundaries on here are another factor!
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

anonanemone
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 912
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone » 03 Oct 2015, 17:43

There is definitely more abstract thought involved with the remaining books in the Ender quartet. I thought that the issues brought up in these books are definitely worth due consideration. Many of the questions, like xenophobia, could be be reapplied to real life where certain kinds of stereotyping and misunderstandings between cultures are common.
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson

CataclysmicKnight
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 150
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 51
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 61
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 566
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: A Life Undisturbed by Thadrick Holmes

Post by CataclysmicKnight » 19 Nov 2015, 01:14

I honestly didn't realize there even was a series of books! The original was famous, and when the movie came out I was psyched (even if it wasn't fantastic, I was happy to have watched it!). It's really cool they continued the story, and that it's so philosophical. I love some philosophy with my fiction!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

ChelseaL-25
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelseal-25.html

Post by ChelseaL-25 » 15 Mar 2016, 18:56

I have read the first book and i loved it so much. i was worried about the second do to the mixed reviews that i have often heard about it. Thank you for posting this, and now i am very glad i only read the first book. I do however, look forward to getting my hans on another copy so that i can own one of my favorite books for myself.

gaporter
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 64
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter » 25 Jul 2016, 18:47

I read Enders Game back in high school and while I liked it, I wasn't sure if the rest of the series would be worth getting into. I've heard mixed reports. I'm glad other readers can recommend it. If I find the rest of the series, I'll check it out.

AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 370
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: Crone by Maria Mayer
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX » 28 Mar 2017, 10:08

After finishing Ender's Game I fully intended to continue with the rest of the series, however I gave up on Speaker for the Dead after a few chapters. It's been a while so I can't really remember why, but I think it was something about Ender being an annoying person in the second book. I think because I didn't like Ender's Game that much it was easy to give up on the series.
Latest Review: Crone by Maria Mayer

Mailis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: Sheppard's Quest by Gary Caplan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis » 10 Feb 2018, 03:52

I have read Orson Scott Cards other books, but have been always on the fence about Enders Game, because I prefer fantasy over Sci-Fi. My kid liked the movie, but much of that was maybe his love for Harrison Ford in any form or way, so I am not quite sure about giving him the book to read yet. Maybe a bit too early for a ten year old to truly understand what it is all about?

DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: God of War, Ares
Bookshelf Size: 312
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown » 25 Feb 2018, 09:19

Mailis wrote:
10 Feb 2018, 03:52
I have read Orson Scott Cards other books, but have been always on the fence about Enders Game, because I prefer fantasy over Sci-Fi. My kid liked the movie, but much of that was maybe his love for Harrison Ford in any form or way, so I am not quite sure about giving him the book to read yet. Maybe a bit too early for a ten year old to truly understand what it is all about?
Enders Game the book is much better than the movie. I always enjoyed the sequels more than Enders Game, though. Speaker for the Dead, especially, is a really original and beautiful book. Card falls into his weird gender-essentialist views in it, but besides that, the concept and the execution are extremely well done. It's sci-fi, but it's so fantastical that it almost reads like fantasy.

Yerenzhu
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yerenzhu.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Yerenzhu » 25 Aug 2018, 18:03

I feel like the books after Ender's Game got worse as they continued on and on. They weren't bad, but they just didnt hit the mark like Ender's game did.

Return to “"Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card”