Speaker for the Dead

Discuss the April 2013 book of the month "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card
litmonster
Currently Reading: Library of Souls
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-litmonster.html

Re: Speaker for the Dead

Post by litmonster »

Shil wrote:If you just finished reading the first book in this series and are expecting another book packed with high intensity action, you are going to be disappointed. I came into this with similar expectations and found the initial chapters to be slightly awkward and far fetched for my taste. However, the story picks up in the chapters 4-5 and I found myself really enjoying the book. It has strong but conflicted main characters who struggle with situations of personal and social dilemma. It shows that love can be grey and varied. There is a certain complexity to this book which makes Ender's Game more childish.

It left me almost believing in this whole new way of perceiving the universe. After the thrill and drama of Ender's game, this book has a contrastingly philosophical undertone. Although not everyone's cup of tea, it is surprisingly refreshing for the open minded reader.

I've debated for a long time whether to pick up and read the rest of the Ender series books. Your description of the next one makes me curious and I will probably pick it up eventually and give it a try. I had some mixed feelings on the writing in Enders Game and could never make up my mind if I liked it, though I enjoyed the story.
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Post by CzechTigg »

ejcogan wrote:I personally haven't read this book yet. My daughter did and said it was very good. On a scale of 1 to 5 she gave it a 4. At some point I will read it, it's on my TBR list, but since finding this site I have so, so many books lined up already. I like all the comments so it will probably be sooner rather than later.
Yes, as if my kindle list and physical book-shelves weren't offering enough options, now the new boundaries on here are another factor!
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

There is definitely more abstract thought involved with the remaining books in the Ender quartet. I thought that the issues brought up in these books are definitely worth due consideration. Many of the questions, like xenophobia, could be be reapplied to real life where certain kinds of stereotyping and misunderstandings between cultures are common.
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

I honestly didn't realize there even was a series of books! The original was famous, and when the movie came out I was psyched (even if it wasn't fantastic, I was happy to have watched it!). It's really cool they continued the story, and that it's so philosophical. I love some philosophy with my fiction!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
ChelseaL-25
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelseal-25.html

Post by ChelseaL-25 »

I have read the first book and i loved it so much. i was worried about the second do to the mixed reviews that i have often heard about it. Thank you for posting this, and now i am very glad i only read the first book. I do however, look forward to getting my hans on another copy so that i can own one of my favorite books for myself.
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

I read Enders Game back in high school and while I liked it, I wasn't sure if the rest of the series would be worth getting into. I've heard mixed reports. I'm glad other readers can recommend it. If I find the rest of the series, I'll check it out.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

After finishing Ender's Game I fully intended to continue with the rest of the series, however I gave up on Speaker for the Dead after a few chapters. It's been a while so I can't really remember why, but I think it was something about Ender being an annoying person in the second book. I think because I didn't like Ender's Game that much it was easy to give up on the series.
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

I have read Orson Scott Cards other books, but have been always on the fence about Enders Game, because I prefer fantasy over Sci-Fi. My kid liked the movie, but much of that was maybe his love for Harrison Ford in any form or way, so I am not quite sure about giving him the book to read yet. Maybe a bit too early for a ten year old to truly understand what it is all about?
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown »

Mailis wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 03:52 I have read Orson Scott Cards other books, but have been always on the fence about Enders Game, because I prefer fantasy over Sci-Fi. My kid liked the movie, but much of that was maybe his love for Harrison Ford in any form or way, so I am not quite sure about giving him the book to read yet. Maybe a bit too early for a ten year old to truly understand what it is all about?
Enders Game the book is much better than the movie. I always enjoyed the sequels more than Enders Game, though. Speaker for the Dead, especially, is a really original and beautiful book. Card falls into his weird gender-essentialist views in it, but besides that, the concept and the execution are extremely well done. It's sci-fi, but it's so fantastical that it almost reads like fantasy.
Yerenzhu
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yerenzhu.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Yerenzhu »

I feel like the books after Ender's Game got worse as they continued on and on. They weren't bad, but they just didnt hit the mark like Ender's game did.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I feel like once you're able to put aside your own reaction to Card's views no matter if you support him or not, the Ender's Game quartet becomes something kind of profound. Speaker, especially, was a beautiful novel that took its time to examine a lot of heavy issues and set up the last two books. I remember it quite fondly as my favourite of the four, to be honest.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Chewy24601
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Chewy24601 »

Nisha Ward wrote: 03 Mar 2019, 20:16 I feel like once you're able to put aside your own reaction to Card's views no matter if you support him or not, the Ender's Game quartet becomes something kind of profound. Speaker, especially, was a beautiful novel that took its time to examine a lot of heavy issues and set up the last two books. I remember it quite fondly as my favourite of the four, to be honest.
I agree with what you said. You really have to separate the artist from the art sometimes. I don't really agree with what Card values a lot of the times, but doesn't mean I can't like some of his works. The Ender's Game series is my favorite series. I remember Card specifically saying too that it's better advised to, instead of going straight to Speaker from the first book, read Ender's Shadow (that series) and then when you get older to read Speaker and the rest of the series; it really is different from the first book. I love Speaker and I remember reading it in middle school and not understanding barely anything in the novel! I learned how bad of an idea that was because now in college it really is better to read the book when you're older; you just understand it a lot better. It is a great novel and has amazing characters.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Chewy24601 wrote: 04 Mar 2019, 14:35
Nisha Ward wrote: 03 Mar 2019, 20:16 I feel like once you're able to put aside your own reaction to Card's views no matter if you support him or not, the Ender's Game quartet becomes something kind of profound. Speaker, especially, was a beautiful novel that took its time to examine a lot of heavy issues and set up the last two books. I remember it quite fondly as my favourite of the four, to be honest.
I agree with what you said. You really have to separate the artist from the art sometimes. I don't really agree with what Card values a lot of the times, but doesn't mean I can't like some of his works. The Ender's Game series is my favorite series. I remember Card specifically saying too that it's better advised to, instead of going straight to Speaker from the first book, read Ender's Shadow (that series) and then when you get older to read Speaker and the rest of the series; it really is different from the first book. I love Speaker and I remember reading it in middle school and not understanding barely anything in the novel! I learned how bad of an idea that was because now in college it really is better to read the book when you're older; you just understand it a lot better. It is a great novel and has amazing characters.
Oh yes, definitely. Iirc, that series is set between Ender's Game and Speaker, and it gives you insight into what characters like Bean and Michael are doing. It's interesting if you into series more akin to the first Ender book, as Speaker and the sequels get way more out there in terms of philosophy and stuff.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

Ender's Game fascinated me when I was younger and I still think it is a great novel. However, the second novel was too philosophical for me at a young age. Now, after reading what you have said, I may have to return to the series. It sounds like I may enjoy it.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
Intuitive Catalyst
Favorite Book: The Road
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intuitive-catalyst.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Intuitive Catalyst »

Read the books in chrono order and don't have any expectations for the next one. That's how I read all series particularly Sci-Fi. I have noticed with Orson Scott Card that he tends to twist the plot in unexpected ways. There's always a philosophical bent. That war, the ghastly betrayal of these brilliant children and Ender in particular, is what aged him as well as the others. It destroyed something intrinsic within him and he simply feels the need to repay what he had taken without permission, unaware that the Game wasn't a game at all. I read it years ago and it has stuck with me ever since.

Return to “"Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card”