- Posts: 270
- Joined: 08 Aug 2019, 12:38
- 2019 Reading Goal: 15
- 2019 Reading Goal Completion: 66
- Currently Reading:
- Bookshelf Size: 21
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
- Latest Review: My Vagabond Life: by Mark W Stoub
This was such and interesting and uncomfortable book for me. The unintentional, graphic murders of the scientists was a bit much. But the whole premise was unique and interesting. I loved listening to the audio book!
- Bookshelves Moderator
- Posts: 246
- Joined: 11 Oct 2019, 16:05
- 2019 Reading Goal: 52
- 2019 Reading Goal Completion: 180
- Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
- Currently Reading: Yesterday
- Bookshelf Size: 259
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
- Latest Review: Bucket of Whitewash by David J. Diamond
- Reading Device: B07B697NTT
- fav_author_id: 17456
I've heard poor reviews about the rest of the series. The two people who recommended Ender's Game to me have both read the whole series and both told me they do not recommend reading any further. Since science fiction is not my favorite, I've taken their advice. I thought Ender's Game was exceptional and I do not want to ruin it by delving into books that are likely not suited to my taste.
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
- Previous Member of the Month
- Posts: 912
- Joined: 24 Jul 2019, 06:37
- 2019 Reading Goal: 50
- 2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
- Currently Reading: The Power of Small Habits
- Bookshelf Size: 121
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
- Latest Review: Purple Hearted Man by Jack W. McDaniel
When I read Speaker for the Dead the first time, many years ago, it was surprising. In a way, Orson Scott Card used again the theme of communication problems between different species, but he developed it in a totally different way. In Ender's Game the miscommunications with the Formics led to interstellar wars that involved the whole human species, in the sequel the miscommunications with the Pequeninos led to problems in a single colony. Of course, Ender is older and has the weight of his past on his shoulder, with all the consequences. Marrying a woman like Novinha seems a self-punishment to me as I always found her very annoying.