Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice+ The Notebook
Currently Reading: too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aspen-reads.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Re: Ender's Game

Post by Aspen_Reads »

I started this book, and I haven't been able to finish it. I didn't find it interesting, but I shouldn't have been surprised, because it is a science fiction novel. Unfortunately, everyone keeps telling me to read it, but I just can't finish it! I am going to try to force myself to read it and finish it this coming summer, though, before I head off to college.
"I was born with a reading list I will never finish." -Maud Casey
dememusicaddict
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dememusicaddict.html

Post by dememusicaddict »

Honestly I read the first 30 pages or so but it didn't catch my interest at all
sarahlovestoread
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahlovestoread.html

Post by sarahlovestoread »

This is one of my go-to reads. I absolutely love how I get sucked into Ender's world every time I read it, and I don't want to put the book down because that will mean I'll have to leave them, even for a little while. Every time I get to the end, I like to pretend I'm as surprised by the reality of the game as I was the first time.
hpsecrets99
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Jurassic Park
Currently Reading: The Spectacular Now
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hpsecrets99.html
Latest Review: "Suppliant" by Laura Tree
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by hpsecrets99 »

This book is one of the best sci-fi novels that I've ever read. I found myself thinking about some of the questions that the book raised long after I had turned the last page. Also, I really enjoyed reading the second book, Ender's Shadow, because I got a completely different picture of Ender and Bean, yet it still felt true to their respective characters.
Latest Review: "Suppliant" by Laura Tree
hareid03
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hareid03.html

Post by hareid03 »

I actually haven't read this book yet. I watched the movie a few months ago for the first time and I thought it was great! Is it better than the book? Probably not because books are usually better than their movie counterparts, but I'm looking forward to reading this eventually when I can get my hands on a copy. Reading what everyone has to say about it makes me want to read it that much more so i can make my own opinion on it now!
jkclay1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkclay1.html

Post by jkclay1 »

I haven't read the book, I just saw the movie and loved it! After reading the comments here I defiantly would like to read the book! I'm glad I found this website because now I can finally get honest reviews on books and talk about them, like Ender's game!
"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."
-Benjamin Franklin
Noeld
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noeld.html

Post by Noeld »

I haven't yet read this book, but based on the reviews it sounds pretty good. I can't wait to read it and see if I like it.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

I really enjoyed reading this book and he storyline was so exciting that it kept me hooked to the book till I finished. The author's writing style is really fast paced and keeps the reader glued to the book.
aaa1234
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaa1234.html

Post by aaa1234 »

If you are into sci-fi then Ender's Game is the book for you. Troubles in the galaxy cause Ender to fly in a mystical space ship to a far away galaxy to defeat specific alien who pose a threat to Ender's society. The book is thrilling and confusing at the same time. I would recommend this book to anybody interested in new technology because it features a lot in Orson Card's novel. If you see this in a book shop then you definitely should pick it up.
ejcogan
Favorite Author: Jeaniene Frost
Favorite Book: Once Burned
Currently Reading: The Truth of all Flesh
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejcogan.html
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
fav_author_id: 3311

Post by ejcogan »

This is one where I wish I would have read the book before seeing the movie. My daughter loved the movie, so I got her the book and she is having issues with differences from movie to book. I recommend reading books before movies although there are issue with that as well since most of the time details get changed.
It is better to have loved and lost, than to be married to a psycho for the rest of your life.
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

One thing I love about Ender's Game is that is doesn't have the classic "good guys" and "bad guys." The "good" and the "bad" have strong elements of both in them. Of course, I also love popular movies with this feature, e.g., "The Godfather," Clint Eastwood's "Unforgiven," and "Cape Fear" (with de Niro).

I have read a lot of old science fiction (mostly Heinlein, Asimov, and Simak), and I seldom like modern SF, so I didn't expect to like Ender's Game; however, I was aware of the tremendous accolades it had received, so I finally got a copy from a library. After the first chapter, I loved it.

Many of the comments in this forum are about a person's right to a "normal" childhood ... but another issue, much more important to me personally, is the right of a child (or an adult) to defend himself. When I was a kid in school, I never got into a fight because I was certain that the punishment I would receive afterward would be much worse than letting bullies push me around once in a while. Boy, did I hate that!! I despised school with a passion, and of course that led to many personal problems. That was a long time ago (the 1960's), but the situation in most "civilized" countries has only gotten worse, and there's no end in sight.
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
Miri Faye
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 17650">The Selection</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miri-faye.html
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Miri Faye »

I loved this book!! I watched the movie than read the book. Unfortunately, my friend spoiled the ending for me. I have read the whole series, but Ender's game is be far the best in my opinion of the Ender Quintet. The Shadow series is quite good too. The movie was better before I read the book.
aaa123
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaa123.html

Post by aaa123 »

Good book.
Gustavsson
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gustavsson.html

Post by Gustavsson »

I haven't read this book in ages (probably time for a reread, huh?) but when I did I enjoyed it very much. I liked Ender because he was a very interesting protagonist. He was brainy and solved his problems logically and more quickly and imaginatively than many protagonists would. And then there's the Battle Room which was always so much fun. I got very competitive with that room. "Why are you all standing upside down?"
I still haven't watched the movie, but from some of the comments here I guess it's quite good and I hope to soon.
Noeld
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noeld.html

Post by Noeld »

I haven't read this book yet but I definitely can't wait to after reading all of these reviews.

Return to “"Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card”