Ender's Game

Discuss the April 2013 book of the month "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card
Niteglider1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Ender's Game

Post by Niteglider1 »

I read this book because my grandson who is in third grade was told it was a popular book. I found that I was reading the book to see what he was interested in. He is an veracious reader, so I read it. It seemed violent to me, an experiment, a person that was designed to destroy a nation is one thing, but the bone crushing and manipulation of the six year old mind was disappointing. I could not see six year old thinking educated thoughts as such, even if he was brilliant. It left me lonely for him.
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

I've always liked the Ender's Game series but still have not seen the movie. I am not in a big hurry to see it since I imagine it changes the whole dynamics of the story to have the kids older. It is very difficult to imagine kids that young with the strategic intelligence they show in Ender's Game. Ender's loneliness does seem to be a persistent theme through the entire series. I've always found the closeness of the relationship between Valentine and Ender fascinating though.
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Lxpoetess
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lxpoetess.html

Post by Lxpoetess »

Honestly I found the film to very disappointing compared to the novel. I also loved Ender's Shadow as much as Ender's Game.
dhaller
Currently Reading: The Moral Arc
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhaller.html
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson

Post by dhaller »

I think the movie was about as close as you can feasibly get to representing Ender's Game in film. Just thinking about actors and actresses that young...it's kind of a crapshoot.

The book, however, is one of my all-time favorites, although I confess to preferring Ender's Shadow...

Orson Scott Card was prescient when he wrote it, too: he predicted forums on the internet with surprising accuracy.

Also, child soldiers being a thing, although that isn't exactly new.
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson
ash77atc
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ash77atc.html
Latest Review: "Broken Places" by Rachel Thompson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by ash77atc »

I read Ender's Game when I was in high school and I reread it again when I was older. I do enjoy the story line and the details of training for battle. It is interesting to me that the whole concept is portrayed to the kids as a "game" when they are truly dealing with the lives of others. I did not particularly care for the movie as much, except for the battle dome anti gravity games. Those are interesting to watch.
Latest Review: "Broken Places" by Rachel Thompson
mauriziopietrantuono

Post by mauriziopietrantuono »

Did not like it at all
VFitz
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vfitz.html

Post by VFitz »

Ender's Game was my first introduction to Sci-Fi and has remained one of my all time favorites to this day. It's also one I've re-read many times and recommend often. It's biggest attraction is the character development of Ender. Orson Scott Card does an amazing job of getting you inside this character's head and encouraging you to route for him. I also loved the relationships with his sister and brother that shape who he is.

Now that this book is a few decades old, I'm even more impressed by the technology presented that did not exist at the time. Concepts like social media and advanced computers like tablets were very ahead of their time.

Because of this book I've read the rest of the Ender series and the off-shoot series that follows the character Bean (in Ender's Shadow). If you like good Sci-Fi, this is a must-read. If you're not sure you like Sci-Fi, then this is a must-read as well :).
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

I had picked up the book on a whim without knowing what it was really about but quickly got bored and forgot about it. However, then I realised that it was becoming a movie, apparently everyone loves the novel and I was planning to give it another try. However, then I realised that Card is a terrible human and I have no inclination to give his book another chance, especially when I got bored the first time.
My weekend is all booked!
Yemurai
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yemurai.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Yemurai »

I loved the movie, haven't read the book, but now I just have to.
Veronica75
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 77

Post by Veronica75 »

I have watched a movie with title Ender Game I don't know if the story line is the same as the book
Hawkite
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hawkite.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Hawkite »

Ender's Game is one of my favorite books of all time. The sequels are amazing too, though a bit less gripping in my opinion. This is sci-fi that makes you think, that has excellent writing, interesting and flawed characters, that writes child geniuses in a way that makes their intellect believable without losing the reader in confusing concepts. I will never stop singing this book's praises.

I saw many people talking about the direct sequels to Ender's Game, but I'd also like to point out how amazing Ender's Shadow is. It's essentially the same story told from Bean's perspective, and I almost like it more than Ender's Game, it's that good. It's a testament to Orson Scott Card's writing abilities that he can make the same events so interesting and compelling again through another character's eyes.
Tars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 349

Post by Tars »

My childhoods favorite book. Readed it in my rebellious teens, when all adults seemed like personal enemies)) But seriously, this book is so original and so sound, characters believable and plot so captivating - all components of great literature!
drackeye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drackeye.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: slredirect

Post by drackeye »

I've read Ender's Game about two or three times. It's a great book and the sequels, at least the ones I've read, are fantastic too. There is a point in the book where Ender's frustration is so well written you can almost feel it. As a result of that frustration, he, almost accidentally, does something no one else ever has. This takes Ender to an area that even his instructors who designed the program don't know anything about. This same frustration is shown in other parts too as the administrators repeatedly push Ender beyond his breaking point. That coupled with his "End it permanently" attitude creates a character that will do whatever it takes to win very thoroughly.
"Always do your absolute best in all that you do. Especially when you don't want to."
"If you cannot be proud of the job you did when you are done, you wasted your time."
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

Ender's Game will always have a special place in my heart. I read it for required reading in school and I still remember being shocked at the twist in the end. I remember trying to read the other four books in the series afterwards.. I must have read the second and third one before getting bored with them though. Perhaps I should give them another go.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
julanderson

Post by julanderson »

I read this when I was 12 and a decade later I still find myself calling this my favorite novel! I can't get over my obsession with it.

Return to “"Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card”