Giga51087
Favorite Book: Jurassic Park
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giga51087.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Re: Ender's Game

Post by Giga51087 »

lady_charlie wrote: 12 Jun 2013, 10:32 I have been thinking about this, too, especially since I also recently read Beyond The Beautiful Forevers. Is childhood different when you are poor or well off? Does boarding school change a person forever?

Sadly, childhood is not a right and I think lots of children don't get one. And then, what is a normal childhood?

There are people who criticize our home where fantasy and imagination have their place beside the reality of finances and gravity. Santa Claus, elves, wizards, and a rabbit who delivers candy and eggs once a year have all been welcome here, and people say to me that it isn't healthy or good. They make snide remarks about how I am hoping to create "the magic of childhood".

Being poor doesn't mean you don't have love, either, or dedication or loyalty, but the children I read about in Beyond The Beautiful Forevers were so poor that there really was no hope beyond the hope of finding a bit of food for the next meal. Education was out of the question for many of them, and sorting garbage was a good job for the ambitious who wanted more out of life.

I think Ender has a good chance of meeting someone and falling in love, and being "happy" in spite of his childhood and odd family. I haven't read the rest of the books, but I think he knows the difference between right and wrong and he will grow up and do what he can to make things right again.
There are some very wealthy children who are probably separated from home very early to go to boarding schools, which seem to start around age 11, but I also found this:

Many mothers would have broken down in tears if their child had asked them, aged five, if they could become a boarder at their school. Author and journalist Anna Pasternak saw her daughter Daisy’s request to board as a sign of her independence and maturity, and allowed her to start boarding on Wednesday nights when she was six.

Daisy, now eight, enjoys a glorified sleepover while still getting help with her homework.
A chilhood in poornes can be a bad chilhood. but we have the tools to evercome it. A chilhood in ignorance it´s a very bad one. beacuse ignorance it´s the bane of hope and grow.
A kid with his or her witts have a higer chance to develop than a enclosed one. They may lack the toys and entretainment. But they can learn to be self sustentable, to fish, to hunt or to farm their food. Remember our fathers or our forefaters chilhood and you will see that they fished or hunted (small game) for they familys along with their fathers in the bad times. The girls used to have small gardens were she growed fruits and vegetables with their mothers.

So maybe the cities had grown a lot but childhood only has changed a little. there are a lot of new toys and more cheap than before but childhood will always be te same.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Ender's Game is one of the first novels I read. I had the wrong impression of it after reading a cliched blurb. You can imagine my surprise when I couldn't put it down from page 1 onwards! I became obsessed with the series, so I read Bean Quartet as it is the closest timeline after Ender's Game. This year, I finally read Xenocide after more than half a decade of hiatus from the series. Overall one of my favorite classic books for sci-fi lovers.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Alet Van Tonder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alet-van-tonder.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Alet Van Tonder »

I was completely surprised by how enjoyable this book was, and this was before I started reading fantasy. Thoroughly enjoyed all the plot twists.
Bettny Andrade
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Doomsday Clock by Mark Pearson

Post by Bettny Andrade »

I saw the movie and it's very well done, it makes the whole theme understandable and has very good effects, also the actor of the character of Ender is very thorough when it comes to giving life to the performance. For this reason, the first moment I have free insurance I will dedicate it to carefully reading this great work. I know they are quite long books but it will definitely be great
Abdulwahab Maryam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdulwahab-maryam.html
Latest Review: The Inner CEO by Jeremy Blain

Post by Abdulwahab Maryam »

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. 2nd LitLovers discussion question: "Is childhood a right? Is it possible for an adult who was deprived of a "normal" childhood to be stable? Is Ender's "happily ever after" possible?"

Does anyone have any thoughts or insights on this? I believe that everyone has the right to a childhood in which to learn and grow, but those who did not have a typical childhood can still grow into stable, responsible adults. I also believe it will be more difficult for them to learn love and logic on their own. As for the final question, I've already finished the series, so I'd better not answer it.
Mikail Light
Currently Reading: Terms of Service
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikail-nurur-rahmon.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Mikail Light »

I have liked every book written by this author. The whole concept and the way it was presented was riveting! I was on the edge of my chair the whole book. I became so attached to Ender that I started reading Bean's story just to hear more about them. It will be really hard for the movie to top this book.
The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.~ Socrates :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “"Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card”