Ender's Game

Discuss the April 2013 book of the month "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card
Tonya1_
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Ender's Game

Post by Tonya1_ » 17 Oct 2018, 23:15

I have seen the movie a few times because I thought it was great, but I have never gotten the chance to read the book yet.

DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo » 18 Oct 2018, 01:06

A bit of trivia:

Ender's real name was Andrew Wiggin. Ender was a nickname given to him by his sister Valentine. "Ender", in Turkish means extremely rare.

I happen to be reading it right now for the second time. Another interesting note - Card changed the name of the aliens from Formics to Buggers in this re-write for reasons I do not know. If anyone knows please tell me.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright

Cash-Centered Creep
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cash-centered-creep.html
Latest Review: Kill Fannie Mae by Frank Latell

Post by Cash-Centered Creep » 17 Nov 2018, 13:45

lady_charlie wrote:
12 Jun 2013, 10:32
I have been thinking about this, too, especially since I also recently read Beyond The Beautiful Forevers. Is childhood different when you are poor or well off? Does boarding school change a person forever?
Childhood is formative for everyone, so the childhood of someone who was educated at a boarding school is likely to have a marked impact on them for the rest of their lives.

One could say that the somewhat sheltered conditions of a boarding-school education are not necessarily a great preparation for dealing with the world at large. The current mess in the UK over Brexit, and the fact that most of the people involved in that mess have attended boarding schools such as Eton, could be seen as evidence of that assertion.

Return to “"Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card”