Your Rating and Overall Opinion of The Shadow of the Wind

Discuss the January 2013 book of the month "The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafón.

How do you rate The Shadow of the Wind?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
No votes
2 stars - fair, okay
8%
3 stars - good, recommend it
33%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
58%

Total votes: 36

melbuhtoast
Favorite Book: The Great Gatsby
Currently Reading: The Goldfinch
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melbuhtoast.html
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn

Re: Your Rating and Overall Opinion of The Shadow of the Win

Post by melbuhtoast »

I am a little late to the dance on this topic, but I wanted to give my two cents anyway! I really loved this book. Having studied abroad in Spain and visited Barcelona, there was a lot drawing me in to begin with. I always love a good mystery, and I found this one exciting, while also focusing on a love for books. The language the author uses makes it clear that he also deeply loves books, and wanted to weave this throughout the book. I've since given this one as a gift to many friends and love discussing with them after they're finished the book.
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn
Duende Knocking
Favorite Author: Albert Camus
Currently Reading: Too lazy to update this every day
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duende-knocking.html
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
fav_author_id: 2688

Post by Duende Knocking »

Easy 4/4 for this one. My copy is pretty beat up (I've read it 3 times, I think...I admit it wasn't quite as good as I remembered the last time I read it, but I do still like it quite a bit).

Books about books are automatically intriguing for me, Ruiz's voice made for a great read.
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
ejcogan
Favorite Author: Jeaniene Frost
Favorite Book: Once Burned
Currently Reading: The Truth of all Flesh
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejcogan.html
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
fav_author_id: 3311

Post by ejcogan »

I know I'm late for this poll... I decided to check out the past books of the month and am finding that I have to keep adding books to my to read shelf. I guess that's why these books made it as the book of the month. I'll be reading this one as well and adding my "two cents" when I'm done.
It is better to have loved and lost, than to be married to a psycho for the rest of your life.
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
scquarantillo
Favorite Author: rachel vincent
Favorite Book: Forever by Judy Blume
Currently Reading: Undead to the World
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scquarantillo.html
fav_author_id: 4455

Post by scquarantillo »

Judging by your reviews I think I need to read this book! I have heard nothing but good things and I think it's time I pick it up! It sounds wonderfully exciting! I will let you all know what I think!
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Post by debo9967 »

I think its an amazing book, with well developed characters and a pace suited to the story. I enjoyed reading this one.
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover
Alexavier-Taiga
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Struck By Lightning by Chris Colfer
Currently Reading: reading five books and they wont fit
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexavier-taiga.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Alexavier-Taiga »

I wasn't sure if I would enjoy this book, but I really did! I loved hat I was transported somewhere completely different to where I live, and It was a good way to calm down after a stressful day of exams, which might sound weird, but I find there is nothing better than a good mystery/thriller to calm down at the end of the day.
So many books to read, so little time..
scquarantillo
Favorite Author: rachel vincent
Favorite Book: Forever by Judy Blume
Currently Reading: Undead to the World
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scquarantillo.html
fav_author_id: 4455

Post by scquarantillo »

Based on the reviews I was so excited to pick this book up! I am so glad I did! I felt like I was there with the characters! The author kept me invested the entire book, and through the twists and turns not once did I want to put the book down! I rated this book 4 out of 4 because it was incredible! I agree the book was fast paced but I would much rather have safe quick then be to slow. Thanks for helping me pick this read guys! I am so happy I did!
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

I enjoyed reading the book. The writing style of the author is quite engrossing. I really liked the idea behind the story and how the author gave expression to the same in this book.
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

I read this one a few months ago and it was fantastic. I've been searching my local books stores for his other books. It was such a captivating read. I didn't want to put it down.
Rizbi
Currently Reading: The Girl in the Spider's Web
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizbi.html
Latest Review: "Patrick's Journey" by Roy T Humphreys
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Rizbi »

I remember being overly impressed the first time I read this. Writing and character development were top-notch and the plot was so intricately woven, you just wanted to see how it ends. Had high hopes for the rest of his books after this. Unfortunately, I felt like the rest of his works are not as good as this one.

This is a clear 4 out of 4.
Latest Review: "Patrick's Journey" by Roy T Humphreys
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

Fran wrote:@PainKillerIndy
I can certainly recommend The Angel's Game ... more of the enthralling city of Barcelona, I am certain you will love it.
I have recently developed a habit of going on Google maps, street view & looking up the locations mentioned in books ... slows down the reading but I love it & it gives me a real "feel" for the places. :)

I just bought Angels Game and I cannot wait to read it. Shadow of the Wind was probably one of the best books I have read in a long time. I was telling my boyfriend about it over the weekend and felt the need to buy/read it. I borrowed it from the library but I think I need to add it to my library and reread it before beginning Angels Game.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
hkachelmeier
Currently Reading: The Sound of Our Steps
Bookshelf Size: 1104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hkachelmeier.html

Post by hkachelmeier »

I enjoyed this book so much. I can't remember how I got my hands on a copy of this book but, after reading The Shadow of the Wind I went online and bought 5 other books by him. I found the story to be so entrancing and I was whisked away to this other world that I needed to read more by Carol Ruiz Zafon. It was hard to find copies that were in English. I felt a kinship to the characters because I have such a love of books and the characters understood that love, that need. I found all the characters to be so endearing and funny. I would definitely recommend this book for someone who is looking to read something from an author they have not read before.
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

Rizbi wrote:I remember being overly impressed the first time I read this. Writing and character development were top-notch and the plot was so intricately woven, you just wanted to see how it ends. Had high hopes for the rest of his books after this. Unfortunately, I felt like the rest of his works are not as good as this one.

This is a clear 4 out of 4.
I have to agree, I do love all of his books, but The Shadow of the Wind is just so hard to beat or replicate. I would say The Angel's Game is a close second, I couldn't put that one down really either.

I'm very late on this book of the month, but it is my favorite book so I have to join in! The language, the story (and the story within the story), and the characters...I just love it all. My friend had to read this for one of her classes in college and she gave it to me immediately after she finished it. I'm so glad she did, I can't say for sure if I would have stumbled upon this book otherwise, it's scary to think of. Someday I plan on getting something from this book tattooed on me, I just haven't decided what yet. 4 out of 4 and then some!
Renee Bella
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3565">City of Lost Souls</a>
Currently Reading: Torn
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-bella.html
Latest Review: "Evarance - Rise of the Shadows" by Bonnie M. Clark

Post by Renee Bella »

Overall, the book kept me guessing and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've never visited Barcelona, though I do love Spanish culture and this book definitely made me want to vist.

Zafon's use of surrealism was highly though-out and well excecuted. I adored this book and would definitely recommend!
Write your own destiny...
Latest Review: "Evarance - Rise of the Shadows" by Bonnie M. Clark
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I loved this book, everything about it was great. The characters were vastly developed, the writing was magical and the plot was great too. I've read all the books by this author and he truly has a gift. :)

Return to “"The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafón”