More Notification Options

(Formerly the "Support, Feedback and Forum Announcements" forum.)
Please help us make Online Book Club even better! Please post suggestions, feedback and ideas for new features. Wild brainstorming and potentially 'crazy ideas' are super-strongly encouraged! :)

For new members (or old members who run into an issue), please make a post in this forum asking any questions you have about using the site and how it works that are not answered in the FAQ. Not only are we happy help you, but also we can use your feedback to make the site better for tomorrow's new member! A lot of the instructions throughout the site and answers in the FAQ are there because someone else pointed out that it wasn't clear before.

---

IMPORTANT: The Public Suggestion Box is NOT for discussing issues with the Review Team. If you are a reviewer and need help, please first check the Review Team Page and then if you still need help use the Review Team Support Forum. If you are an author and need help, please first check the Author Dashboard and if that does not resolve your issue use the private contact form. For reference, there is a contact link on every page of the website.

---

To ensure the above procedures are used, posts by new members in the Suggestion Box will be held for moderation.

There are over 240,000 members at OnlineBookClub.org. Following the proper procedures to get help or make suggestions actually helps us help you much faster.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss issues related to the Review Team in the Public Suggestion Box. If you have an issue or question related to the review Team, please check either the Author Dashboard (if you are an author or publisher), or check the Review Team Page (if you are a reviewer).
Jagiine
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

More Notification Options

Post by Jagiine » 03 Jan 2019, 17:17

Hey,
I think it would be useful to split the "Someone replies to a topic to which you are subscribed" notification option into 2. It would be better to have an option for topics you've manually subscribed to and an option for topics you've created. It currently seems that I get subscribed to any topic I either create or reply to. Frankly, I do not want to receive a notification about every reply to every topic that I post in. However, it is nice to be notified when someone comments on my topic so that I can keep up with the conversation and respond with my gratitude for his/her contribution.

Alternatively, when posting a topic or reply, there could be 2 submission buttons to choose from: 1) Submit 2) Submit and Subscribe.

These are the most convenient ways I can think of to fix the issue of being over-notified, but there are others.

rssllue
Beardmaster of Bookshelves
2019 Reading Goal: 190
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 4
2018 Reading Goal: 190
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 74
2017 Reading Goal: 190
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 29
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: Astounding Stories of Super-Science
Bookshelf Size: 506
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: Midnight Musings by William E Lang Jr
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue » 03 Jan 2019, 17:56

You can deselect the "Notify me when a reply is posted" button on the Full Editor & Preview screen before you submit your initial post or reply to a post if you do not want to receive any notifications for that thread. I hope this helps! :tiphat:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 8
2018 Reading Goal: 65
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 78
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: White Stag
Bookshelf Size: 922
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy » 03 Jan 2019, 19:37

Jagiine wrote:
03 Jan 2019, 17:17
Hey,
I think it would be useful to split the "Someone replies to a topic to which you are subscribed" notification option into 2. It would be better to have an option for topics you've manually subscribed to and an option for topics you've created. It currently seems that I get subscribed to any topic I either create or reply to. Frankly, I do not want to receive a notification about every reply to every topic that I post in. However, it is nice to be notified when someone comments on my topic so that I can keep up with the conversation and respond with my gratitude for his/her contribution.

Alternatively, when posting a topic or reply, there could be 2 submission buttons to choose from: 1) Submit 2) Submit and Subscribe.

These are the most convenient ways I can think of to fix the issue of being over-notified, but there are others.
rssllue wrote:
03 Jan 2019, 17:56
You can deselect the "Notify me when a reply is posted" button on the Full Editor & Preview screen before you submit your initial post or reply to a post if you do not want to receive any notifications for that thread. I hope this helps! :tiphat:
:text-yeahthat:

You can also edit your board preferences to reflect what you want notifications for, and you can edit the type of notifications as well (email, on-site notification, etc.). :tiphat:
"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."

rssllue
Beardmaster of Bookshelves
2019 Reading Goal: 190
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 4
2018 Reading Goal: 190
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 74
2017 Reading Goal: 190
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 29
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: Astounding Stories of Super-Science
Bookshelf Size: 506
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: Midnight Musings by William E Lang Jr
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue » 03 Jan 2019, 22:10

Well said, Gravy. 8)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8

Jagiine
Currently Reading:

Post by Jagiine » 04 Jan 2019, 16:30

rssllue wrote:
I know that this is an option, but that means having to remember to go beneath the submit button to uncheck the box which isn't always something I (and many other people, I'm sure) remember. Once I spend a significant amount of time thinking through, wordsmithing, and editing my posts, I'm excited to submit it. I am suggesting an easier way to do things, rather than having to set things for each and every conversation I join.

Jagiine
Currently Reading:

Post by Jagiine » 04 Jan 2019, 16:31

Gravy wrote:
03 Jan 2019, 19:37
rssllue wrote:

You can also edit your board preferences to reflect what you want notifications for, and you can edit the type of notifications as well (email, on-site notification, etc.). :tiphat:
Yes, and I have done that. But, I would appreciate more customization. The options do not actually fit what notifications I want to choose between.

Gravy

Post by Gravy » 04 Jan 2019, 18:53

Jagiine wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 16:31
Gravy wrote:
rssllue wrote:

Yes, and I have done that. But, I would appreciate more customization. The options do not actually fit what notifications I want to choose between.
I'm not sure what you mean.

You can achieve exactly what you asked about by setting your preferences to not be notified by default and only subscribing to the topics you want notified for.

Sorry if I'm missing something. :tiphat:
"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."

Jagiine
Currently Reading:

Post by Jagiine » 07 Jan 2019, 03:15

Gravy wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 18:53
Jagiine wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 16:31
Gravy wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean.

You can achieve exactly what you asked about by setting your preferences to not be notified by default and only subscribing to the topics you want notified for.

Sorry if I'm missing something. :tiphat:
The one difference is the process of "subscribing to the topics you want to be notified for." It's possible as a separate step (depending on how you define a "step") currently. I am merely offering a suggestion that it would be a bit easier if it were not a separate thought from submission.

MsTri
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 41
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 391
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 15362">The Prodigal Son</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 434
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: The Story Of Autumn by Anne E. Reardon
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by MsTri » 07 Jan 2019, 16:43

I actually like that suggestion. When I first signed up, I got notifications for every thread I'd commented on, per the defaults. Then I figured out how to make "off" the default. But now, when I do want to subscribe to a topic, I have to remember to manually go below the submission box and subscribe. And since I always use 'Full Editor & Preview', it's an extra step/click because it's not on this page. Whereas if we had two buttons - one saying "Submit" and the other saying "Submit and Subscribe" - we could more easily make a determination per topic.

Gravy

Post by Gravy » 08 Jan 2019, 02:09

I see the difference now. Thank you.

I can't say that I have any real preference where that's concerned, but Scott may be happy to change it. Just tag him here and he'll see it.
(Tagging works via the bbcode now, just put his name in the bbcode for italics and replace the i's with the word mention.)

Also, I just remembered...there is another way to subscribe to a topic without ever even having to post.

Under the options for full editor and submit are the options for 'post reply' and two drop menues.
The menu with the wrench icon will allow you to subscribe, bookmark, etc. without having to navigate away or really do anything.

I know it's not the same, but just in case it helps. :tiphat:

Jagiine
Currently Reading:

Post by Jagiine » 08 Jan 2019, 17:42

MsTri wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 16:43
I actually like that suggestion. When I first signed up, I got notifications for every thread I'd commented on, per the defaults. Then I figured out how to make "off" the default. But now, when I do want to subscribe to a topic, I have to remember to manually go below the submission box and subscribe. And since I always use 'Full Editor & Preview', it's an extra step/click because it's not on this page. Whereas if we had two buttons - one saying "Submit" and the other saying "Submit and Subscribe" - we could more easily make a determination per topic.
Thank you for your thoughts, MsTri. That is precisely what I experience.

Jagiine
Currently Reading:

Post by Jagiine » 08 Jan 2019, 17:45

Gravy wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 02:09
I see the difference now. Thank you.

I can't say that I have any real preference where that's concerned, but Scott may be happy to change it. Just tag him here and he'll see it.
(Tagging works via the bbcode now, just put his name in the bbcode for italics and replace the i's with the word mention.)

Also, I just remembered...there is another way to subscribe to a topic without ever even having to post.

Under the options for full editor and submit are the options for 'post reply' and two drop menues.
The menu with the wrench icon will allow you to subscribe, bookmark, etc. without having to navigate away or really do anything.

I know it's not the same, but just in case it helps. :tiphat:
Thanks, Gravy. I get that it doesn't make a difference to you, but I appreciate you taking the time to understand my POV and teach me how to get Scott here.

Jagiine
Currently Reading:

Post by Jagiine » 08 Jan 2019, 17:46

@Scott
Is this a feature you'd be willing to add?

Scott
Site Admin
2019 Reading Goal: 52
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 1
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 7
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Favorite Author: Voltairine de Cleyre
Currently Reading: The Woman in the Window
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 2660

Post by Scott » 09 Jan 2019, 11:20

Jagiine wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 17:46
Scott
Is this a feature you'd be willing to add?
Thank you for asking me. However, I actually let the moderators as a team choose what features we add or not, and they keep a running to-do list for me of features to add or other changes to make to the website.

I don't monitor the Suggestion Box myself because if I spend the time fielding the suggestions and deciding which ones to implement, I won't have the time actually program the new features and implement them.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid

Jagiine
Currently Reading:

Post by Jagiine » 09 Jan 2019, 21:41

Scott wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 11:20
Thank you for asking me. However, I actually let the moderators as a team choose what features we add or not, and they keep a running to-do list for me of features to add or other changes to make to the website.

I don't monitor the Suggestion Box myself because if I spend the time fielding the suggestions and deciding which ones to implement, I won't have the time actually program the new features and implement them.
Ah, who knew!? That is very reasonable. Thank you for taking the time to respond!

Return to “Public Suggestion Box”