Recheck Questions

(Formerly the "Support, Feedback and Forum Announcements" forum.)
Please help us make Online Book Club even better! Please post suggestions, feedback and ideas for new features. Wild brainstorming and potentially 'crazy ideas' are super-strongly encouraged! :)

For new members (or old members who run into an issue), please make a post in this forum asking any questions you have about using the site and how it works that are not answered in the FAQ. Not only are we happy help you, but also we can use your feedback to make the site better for tomorrow's new member! A lot of the instructions throughout the site and answers in the FAQ are there because someone else pointed out that it wasn't clear before.

---

IMPORTANT: The Public Suggestion Box is NOT for discussing issues with the Review Team. If you are a reviewer and need help, please first check the Review Team Page and then if you still need help use the Review Team Support Forum. If you are an author and need help, please first check the Author Dashboard and if that does not resolve your issue use the private contact form. For reference, there is a contact link on every page of the website.

---

To ensure the above procedures are used, posts by new members in the Suggestion Box will be held for moderation.

There are over 240,000 members at OnlineBookClub.org. Following the proper procedures to get help or make suggestions actually helps us help you much faster.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss issues related to the Review Team in the Public Suggestion Box, as we prefer to deal with Review Team issues privately. If you have an issue or question related to the Review Team, please first check either the Author Dashboard (if you are an author or publisher) or check the Review Team Page (if you are a reviewer). If you are a reviewer and you have a suggestion, you can post that in the special private Review Team Support Forum.
MsTri
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 233
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 391
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 15362">The Prodigal Son</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 553
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Voodoo in Savannah by Deirdre Hutchins
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Recheck Questions

Post by MsTri » 17 Dec 2018, 21:15

Let's say a person is still being edited by 2-3 editors because they're brand new. If 2 out of the 3 editors have the same error, and the reviewer requests a re-check, do they have to do the request for EACH editor manually, or does the same request go to both/all editors who had that as an error? And, if both editors uphold their decision, does that count as ONE of their recheck requests since it was on one review, or does that count as TWO since it was 2 editors asked? Or, in a slightly different scenario, if a reviewer requested THREE rechecks for 3 different errors, does that count as all 3 requests? What if it's ONE error to each of the 3 editors? I do know that if the editor(s) agree(s) and reverse(s) their decision(s), they aren't counted towards the lifetime max, but having several editors and several errors brings up these questions.

ButterscotchCherrie
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 66
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Manifesting Miracles
Bookshelf Size: 293
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: EL HUERTO: cuentos seleccionados by Ira Sumner Simmonds
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 18 Dec 2018, 02:35

As I understand it, you query each scorecard individually. If the score is changed, the average changes accordingly. I guess if you queried three scorecards for one review it would count as three rechecks.

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: Such a Perfect Wife
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: My Mama Says Inside Me Lives A Village by Nadine Levitt

Post by bookowlie » 18 Dec 2018, 14:04

Ms. Tri - You bring up a good question. I think you should contact Scott to see how this should be addressed. Personally, I wouldn't want the maximum three rechecks used up on one review, especially if the same problem is on more than one scorecard.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

MsTri
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 233
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 391
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 15362">The Prodigal Son</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 553
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Voodoo in Savannah by Deirdre Hutchins
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by MsTri » 01 Jan 2019, 19:23

@Scott, can you please add some clarity, here? And to add to the questions, what if 2 out of 3 Editors (of instance) agree to change their scorecard? How would that effect the number of available rechecks?

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 77
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 308
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Forever Will End: Gospel of Chaos Book One by Dom Brandt

Post by kandscreeley » 01 Jan 2019, 19:43

For each recheck that is changed, you get that back. So, if 2 of them change their score, you then have 2 of the 3 rechecks back.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Scott
Site Admin
2019 Reading Goal: 52
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 19
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 7
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Favorite Author: Voltairine de Cleyre
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 2660

Post by Scott » 02 Jan 2019, 13:33

For the purposes of rechecks and the three rechecks each reviewer gets, each scorecard is treated separately.

Keep in mind, if the editor agrees with the reviewer and changes the scorecard that it does not count against the limit of 3.

So if a reviewer puts on a recheck for two different scorecards for the same review and both editors reject the appeal and maintain their original rating, then the reviewer would thereby lose two of their three rechecks.

For this reason, I would recommend reviewers only dispute one scorecard at a time for the same review. That way if the first scorecard they dispute results in the editor re-affirming the consensus, then they can re-consider disputing the other editor's scorecard. If multiple editors already agreed that something should be marked a certain way, and then the reviewer appealed that decision with that editor re-affirming the consensus,even after seeing the reviewer's appeal, then I think all that should give the reviewer quite a bit of pause before continuing to pursue the dispute even further.

Shortly down the line, I want to add an admin recheck option to enable the reviewer to re-dispute the marking but have it checked by a whole editor or admin. This has on my to-do list for a long time (along with many things).
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid

Return to “Public Suggestion Box”