Second Chances on Books

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Second Chances on Books

Post by MsTri »

Can we PLEASE get notifications about books we elected to review, but had to release via error? I've had to error report two books in the last six months or so. Well, I JUST saw one of the books that I reported about five weeks ago for incomplete file on the list of reviewed books, and I'm heartsick that I didn't get to read it! There should be some kind of way to have one's name filed when they report a book so that if it comes back up, they're flagged as the first person to choose it, which would then generate an email letting the potential reviewer know that the books' available again. Choices could include (1) Yes, I want to review it! (2) No thanks. (3) I DO want to review it, but already have another book to read; in the latter case, the book could be removed and auto-given when the potential reviewer finalizes the review they're working on. Just in case they changed their mind, there could also be a "Deny" button that would allow them to deny the book at that time.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Seconded. This would be more fair if we can't complete a review through no fault of our own. When I couldn't download a book because it was a Kindle Gift Code that didn't work in my region, I wrote to the publisher asking them to make it available here. However, I heard nothing back and eventually saw that it had been reviewed by someone else. It's even worse if the problem is an incomplete .pdf.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 12:54 Seconded. This would be more fair if we can't complete a review through no fault of our own. When I couldn't download a book because it was a Kindle Gift Code that didn't work in my region, I wrote to the publisher asking them to make it available here. However, I heard nothing back and eventually saw that it had been reviewed by someone else. It's even worse if the problem is an incomplete .pdf.
I agree. It used to be that you could file an error report if there was a problem with the download and Scott would respond/try to resolve the issue. The last time I filed an error report, I didn't receive a response and the status on my history immediately changed to "not completed." In this particular case, the PDF download was blank - shouldn't there have been an attempt to contact the author to get another PDF file? I was pretty annoyed as there was no attempt to resolve the problem, as in the past. Since the problem wasn't my fault, it doesn't seem fair that there is now a "not completed" book on my account.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Agreed. My only incomplete was a children's book I was really looking forward to reviewing, but the PDF only contained the cover art, no other pages. Like bookowlie, it was immediately marked as incomplete with no follow-up or further feedback. I would like to have the opportunity to review given back to me.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Great idea. I just had this happen as well with a book that didn't contain all of the chapters. I would love to have the opportunity to review that book once the download problem is corrected. It would be really helpful to have a system that would facilitate that.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”