BOTD Limit

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

BOTD Limit

Post by Jude Austin »

I'd like to see a limit to the number of times a book gets to be BOTD. Right now it's The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid...again. This book was BOTM, it's been BOTD more than once before now, and I'm starting to feel like I'm being spammed with it!

I have no problems with the book or author - this isn't the only book this has happened to - but I would like there to be a minimum time period (say, 6 months, or 1 year if the book is also chosen as BOTM) before the same book becomes eligible again. This would keep the selection fresh and interesting.

(From a Daily Giveaway point of view, it would also make it easier; it's hard to keep coming up with new variations on "Great book, congrats on BOTD," especially when the first thought to enter my mind is, "Oh man, this one AGAIN?") :D
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I brought up this same topic as I've been around about the same amount of time as you have. I thought it was odd that I kept seeing reviews for a vast number of books, but within 2 months saw the same BOTD. It has to do with the authors and if they are willing to offer free copies of their books or discounted copies if I remember the explanation correctly.

I still agree with you though that there should be an eligibility period.
Yssimnar
Favorite Book: Wives and Daughters
Currently Reading: No Man Knows My History
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yssimnar.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by Yssimnar »

Even if there is a BOTD repeat, there is still a fresh chance at the $20 raffle as touted on the Twitter post, right?
:wink:
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Yssimnar wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 20:27 Even if there is a BOTD repeat, there is still a fresh chance at the $20 raffle as touted on the Twitter post, right?
Yes. :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

Very true even today's BOTD was BOTD a few weeks ago.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

DorcasToo wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 14:21 Very true even today's BOTD was BOTD a few weeks ago.
Which brings up another interesting point. As I understand it, we can only download ONE free copy per book. This means that our receipt for that book could be 3-4 weeks old and we may have deleted it. If we win the BOTD sweepstakes with the same book from ages ago and no longer have the receipt to forward for proof, what happens then? Would the team accept a screenshot?
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

What's the difference if there are some repeats? Overall the BOTD program provides the opportunity to get books for free or at a very low price. Since new members are constantly joining, repeat books are new to them. The BOTD program is completely voluntary although participants get the chance to win a gift card each day. I just don't see how it's a big deal for there to be repeats if participation is voluntary.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

bookowlie wrote: 24 Aug 2018, 06:57 What's the difference if there are some repeats? Overall the BOTD program provides the opportunity to get books for free or at a very low price. Since new members are constantly joining, repeat books are new to them. The BOTD program is completely voluntary although participants get the chance to win a gift card each day. I just don't see how it's a big deal for there to be repeats if participation is voluntary.
:ditto: My thoughts exactly. The BOTD is just one small part of the OBC. I rarely participate, but I know that if I want to once in a while, I can.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Stop me if I'm wrong, but being the BOTD has nothing to do with the quality or popularity of a book; it has to do with the author paying to have the book featured at the BOTD. It is really just a marketing tool and a nice money maker for the website.

Personally, I think the majority of these authors need to throw their money at editors prior to marketing...
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Agree, agree, agree!
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

CommMayo wrote: 24 Aug 2018, 13:59 Stop me if I'm wrong, but being the BOTD has nothing to do with the quality or popularity of a book; it has to do with the author paying to have the book featured at the BOTD. It is really just a marketing tool and a nice money maker for the website.

Personally, I think the majority of these authors need to throw their money at editors prior to marketing...
Absolutely!!!!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane

Post by kfwilson6 »

bookowlie wrote: 24 Aug 2018, 06:57 What's the difference if there are some repeats? Overall the BOTD program provides the opportunity to get books for free or at a very low price. Since new members are constantly joining, repeat books are new to them. The BOTD program is completely voluntary although participants get the chance to win a gift card each day. I just don't see how it's a big deal for there to be repeats if participation is voluntary.
Some reviewers participate in the BOTD because it is helping them maintain their points on their popularity scores. Given that you can earn up to 16 points toward your reviewer score just for doing BOTD, it can have a huge impact. For those people who are participating each day, it can be a bit frustrating to have the same books pop up because you are commenting on them multiple times just the first time you see it.

This is just a suggestion forum and people have different preferences. Also, not everyone knows the hows and whys of what goes on behind the scenes of OBC. I don't see why you needed to be so critical and rude about it.

JudasFm was simply suggesting a time frame in which a book doesn't become BOTD twice. So new reviewers could see it after that time frame, but older reviewers would get info about books they hadn't seen before. From the authors' standpoint, it is beneficial to more of them if each day for x amount of weeks or months a book must not be repeated (I'm saying this not knowing exactly how BOTD is determined, so it's kind of an assumption). You get what you pay for I guess.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I apologize if my comment came across as rude, as it wasn't meant to be. I guess I just look at the BOTD program as something extra. When I joined, there were no bonus points for anything - no social media points, no gift cards for the BOTM discussion, no BOTD program or any other bonuses. I can see your point about it being a chore to post additional comments for the same book. I guess I see it as easier because I've previously read the sample and OBC review.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

bookowlie wrote: 25 Aug 2018, 17:47 I apologize if my comment came across as rude, as it wasn't meant to be. I guess I just look at the BOTD program as something extra. When I joined, there were no bonus points for anything - no social media points, no gift cards for the BOTM discussion, no BOTD program or any other bonuses. I can see your point about it being a chore to post additional comments for the same book. I guess I see it as easier because I've previously read the sample and OBC review.
I completely understand. I've never used the BOTD to get my points, even in the beginning.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Mary WhiteFace
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

I think I can understand a little of the frustration when books are BOTD and BOTM multiple times, close together.

When you're at a lower level, trying to work your way up, the 8 points you can earn for your Facebook and LinkedIn comments might be the difference to moving up a level, if your overall score is borderline.

Sometimes it is a little difficult to come up with six different, unique comments about the same book within a couple of weeks. Especially if it's just an okay book that didn't really leave a lasting impression with the sample. At least if the time was spread out over a longer period your mind might look at it with a fresher viewpoint. Not a complaint, simply an observation.

I've decided to just add the extra comments if I have them, if not then I don't comment. I've stressed myself over it before. It's not worth it.

Most importantly, I'm going to spend my time raising the quality of my reviews, and becoming more active in the forums, adding the social media comments only if and when they come easily. I've realized that forced comments don't have the same authenticity, and then they don't help anyone.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”