Remove the secret code BOTD bonus

(Formerly the "Support, Feedback and Forum Announcements" forum.)
Please help us make Online Book Club even better! Please post suggestions, feedback and ideas for new features. Wild brainstorming and potentially 'crazy ideas' are super-strongly encouraged! :)

For new members (or old members who run into an issue), please make a post in this forum asking any questions you have about using the site and how it works that are not answered in the FAQ. Not only are we happy help you, but also we can use your feedback to make the site better for tomorrow's new member! A lot of the instructions throughout the site and answers in the FAQ are there because someone else pointed out that it wasn't clear before.

---

IMPORTANT: The Public Suggestion Box is NOT for discussing issues with the Review Team. If you are a reviewer and need help, please first check the Review Team Page and then if you still need help use the Review Team Support Forum. If you are an author and need help, please first check the Author Dashboard and if that does not resolve your issue use the private contact form. For reference, there is a contact link on every page of the website.

---

To ensure the above procedures are used, posts by new members in the Suggestion Box will be held for moderation.

There are over 240,000 members at OnlineBookClub.org. Following the proper procedures to get help or make suggestions actually helps us help you much faster.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss issues related to the Review Team in the Public Suggestion Box. If you have an issue or question related to the review Team, please check either the Author Dashboard (if you are an author or publisher), or check the Review Team Page (if you are a reviewer).
Scott
Site Admin
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 5
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Favorite Author: Voltairine de Cleyre
Currently Reading: The Woman in the Window
Bookshelf Size: 228
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 2660
Signature Addition: testtesttest

Re: Remove the secret code BOTD bonus

Post by Scott » 15 Jul 2018, 16:10

Each time a person doesn't open an email from OnlineBookClub, it hurts our sender scores with the email providers, which makes our emails land in more people's spam boxes. This creates major problems for people who want to get the emails, such as when verifying their email or getting important alerts about things like overdue reviews.

Also, if there is problems, like the emails not going through, I find members are more likely to report those problems when we have the bonus in place.

In theory, if everyone entered the bonus code, it effectively wouldn't be a bonus. However, about 70% of entrants do not claim the bonus entry for the bonus code.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid

kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 83
Currently Reading: The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 278
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: Tulip by Raymond Reed Hardy
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 » 15 Jul 2018, 20:38

Interesting...Well Helen, I feel better about it now :)

MsTri
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 250
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 15362">The Prodigal Son</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 305
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Crime Rhymes: From Bad to Verse by Dixie J. Whitted
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by MsTri » 15 Jul 2018, 23:43

I too am in the US and could do without it. I'm a night owl, often staying up until 1 or even 2am, yet there are times that it doesn't come before then and so I miss out on that point! And like someone else said, I'm here everyday anyhow, so it's really a pain in the doopah to then have to check my email to get the code and put it in HOURS after I've already done everything else, and I'd just as soon do without the emails entirely.

Helen_Combe
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 148
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: Losing Normal by Francis Moss
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe » 16 Jul 2018, 02:56

Scott wrote:
15 Jul 2018, 16:10
Each time a person doesn't open an email from OnlineBookClub, it hurts our sender scores with the email providers, which makes our emails land in more people's spam boxes. This creates major problems for people who want to get the emails, such as when verifying their email or getting important alerts about things like overdue reviews.

Also, if there is problems, like the emails not going through, I find members are more likely to report those problems when we have the bonus in place.

In theory, if everyone entered the bonus code, it effectively wouldn't be a bonus. However, about 70% of entrants do not claim the bonus entry for the bonus code.
Ah, thank you for that. I did wonder if it had another purpose other than a simple bonus. Now I know that there is a purpose, I’m quite happy with it.

Mind you, Ms Tri has a good suggestion, which is to completely abandon the book of the day email. I’m sure a lot of people just get into the habit of doing the book of the day at a particular time of the day. I gave up waiting for the email long ago. Then you wouldn't have the inherent problems of emailing to such a huge list every single day.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.

samiam013
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 136
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samiam013.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by samiam013 » 19 Jul 2018, 21:58

I have to agree with you on this one. Sometimes I do receive the email and there are times I do not receive the email for the daily giveaway. On those days I am unable to enter the secret code, so I miss out on one of the entries for the giveaway. Thanks for posting this. I did not realize there were others who were struggling with this as well.
"Books give a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything". (Plato) :reading-7:

Smiles are contagious! Infect someone today! :D

Vickie Noel
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 46
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 295
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading: The Widow Makes Three
Bookshelf Size: 363
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Altered Reality by Joel Knox
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel » 23 Jul 2018, 00:04

Well, I really don't mind whichever way it pans out. I'm equally outside the US and have had the email come in much later than usual. On such occasions, I generally don't get a good night's sleep because I keep waking up to check until I see the mail. This was way before the secret code bonus because I use the email to add the BOTD to my bookshelves in compliance with the twitter retweets program. So it's pretty useful to me personally; I didn't even know it had other implications for the site as well. And with Scott's explanation, I understand why the mail went to my spam a few times past.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel

Helen_Combe
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 148
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: Losing Normal by Francis Moss
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe » 23 Jul 2018, 03:14

Vickie Noel wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 00:04
Well, I really don't mind whichever way it pans out. I'm equally outside the US and have had the email come in much later than usual. On such occasions, I generally don't get a good night's sleep because I keep waking up to check until I see the mail. This was way before the secret code bonus because I use the email to add the BOTD to my bookshelves in compliance with the twitter retweets program. So it's pretty useful to me personally; I didn't even know it had other implications for the site as well. And with Scott's explanation, I understand why the mail went to my spam a few times past.
I use the link to bookshelves at the bottom of the review to put the book on my bookshelves.
Last edited by Helen_Combe on 23 Jul 2018, 03:15, edited 1 time in total.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.

Vickie Noel
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 46
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 295
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading: The Widow Makes Three
Bookshelf Size: 363
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Altered Reality by Joel Knox
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel » 23 Jul 2018, 09:47

Oh, never really noticed that before, thanks a lot.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel

JudasFm
Currently Reading: Night watch
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judasfm.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by JudasFm » 29 Jul 2018, 21:31

I never bother with the Secret Code entry; it's more trouble than it's worth. I don't quite understand the thinking behind it, to be honest.

CatInTheHat
Bookshelves Moderator
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 82
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 98
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading: We Were Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 465
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catinthehat.html
Latest Review: Lunch Money by Roger M. Cullen
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by CatInTheHat » 29 Jul 2018, 22:00

JudasFm wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 21:31
I never bother with the Secret Code entry; it's more trouble than it's worth. I don't quite understand the thinking behind it, to be honest.
Scott explained it's purpose in one of the comments in this thread.
Life without a good book is something the CatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Grateful to get the opportunity to explore new books with those in the OBC.

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: Sally the Bold by Albert Alarcon Jr

Post by bookowlie » 30 Jul 2018, 12:20

Honestly, the complaining about this seems a bit much. The BOTD giveaways are a nice thing that has not always been a part of the site. I feel the same way about the contest for two gift cards for the BOTM discussion. When I joined, neither of this prizes were part of the site. The bonus points for social media weren't part of the reviewer score formula either. I guess I feel all of these things are nice extras and not something to gripe about, as far as timing, inconvenience, etc. Just my opinion.
"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - Louisa May Alcott

gali
Site Admin
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 105
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Girl in the Tower
Bookshelf Size: 1856
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali » 30 Jul 2018, 12:23

bookowlie wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 12:20
Honestly, the complaining about this seems a bit much. The BOTD giveaways are a nice thing that has not always been a part of the site. I feel the same way about the contest for two gift cards for the BOTM discussion. When I joined, neither of this prizes were part of the site. The bonus points for social media weren't part of the reviewer score formula either. I guess I feel all of these things are nice extras and not something to gripe about, as far as timing, inconvenience, etc. Just my opinion.
:text-yeahthat:
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

gali
Site Admin
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 105
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Girl in the Tower
Bookshelf Size: 1856
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali » 30 Jul 2018, 12:24

Enough was said about this. I am locking the thread.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Public Suggestion Box”