Adult literacy

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Book Bear
Currently Reading: Earth Alone
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-bear.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B0184OCGAK

Adult literacy

Post by Book Bear »

How about a section specifically related to adult literacy providing people with information on how to get started if they can't read and how to improve if they are struggling?
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

It’s a lovely idea, but I think this site requires a decent base level of literacy just to be able to navigate around it and understand the rules
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

This is a brilliant idea, am among those who really struggled when i begun. This would go a long way in building beginners.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Book Bear wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 11:43 How about a section specifically related to adult literacy providing people with information on how to get started if they can't read and how to improve if they are struggling?
I don't think that reading books in order to write high-quality reviews is something that people who can't read are going to be up to doing. They need adult literacy classes, which isn't what OBC is about. Adult literacy programs are typically found in one's community, often through the local government or local schools.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

CatInTheHat wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 08:52
Book Bear wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 11:43 How about a section specifically related to adult literacy providing people with information on how to get started if they can't read and how to improve if they are struggling?
I don't think that reading books in order to write high-quality reviews is something that people who can't read are going to be up to doing. They need adult literacy classes, which isn't what OBC is about. Adult literacy programs are typically found in one's community, often through the local government or local schools.
:text-yeahthat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Book Bear
Currently Reading: Earth Alone
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-bear.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B0184OCGAK

Post by Book Bear »

Helen_Combe wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 07:19 It’s a lovely idea, but I think this site requires a decent base level of literacy just to be able to navigate around it and understand the rules
I obviously haven't got a base level of literacy because I still can't navigate around it properly! That was a joke. I hope.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Book Bear wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 14:46
Helen_Combe wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 07:19 It’s a lovely idea, but I think this site requires a decent base level of literacy just to be able to navigate around it and understand the rules
I obviously haven't got a base level of literacy because I still can't navigate around it properly! That was a joke. I hope.
I was as the level of a two year old for months :lol:
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”