Adult literacy

(Formerly the "Support, Feedback and Forum Announcements" forum.)
Please help us make Online Book Club even better! Please post suggestions, feedback and ideas for new features. Wild brainstorming and potentially 'crazy ideas' are super-strongly encouraged! :)

For new members (or old members who run into an issue), please make a post in this forum asking any questions you have about using the site and how it works that are not answered in the FAQ. Not only are we happy help you, but also we can use your feedback to make the site better for tomorrow's new member! A lot of the instructions throughout the site and answers in the FAQ are there because someone else pointed out that it wasn't clear before.

---

IMPORTANT: The Public Suggestion Box is NOT for discussing issues with the Review Team. If you are a reviewer and need help, please first check the Review Team Page and then if you still need help use the Review Team Support Forum. If you are an author and need help, please first check the Author Dashboard and if that does not resolve your issue use the private contact form. For reference, there is a contact link on every page of the website.

---

To ensure the above procedures are used, posts by new members in the Suggestion Box will be held for moderation.

There are over 240,000 members at OnlineBookClub.org. Following the proper procedures to get help or make suggestions actually helps us help you much faster.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss issues related to the Review Team in the Public Suggestion Box. If you have an issue or question related to the review Team, please check either the Author Dashboard (if you are an author or publisher), or check the Review Team Page (if you are a reviewer).
Book Bear
Currently Reading: Earth Alone
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-bear.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B0184OCGAK

Adult literacy

Post by Book Bear » 07 Jul 2018, 11:43

How about a section specifically related to adult literacy providing people with information on how to get started if they can't read and how to improve if they are struggling?

Helen_Combe
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 146
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading: power corrupts
Bookshelf Size: 157
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: Losing Normal by Francis Moss
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe » 11 Jul 2018, 07:19

It’s a lovely idea, but I think this site requires a decent base level of literacy just to be able to navigate around it and understand the rules
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.

DorcasToo
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 31
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by DorcasToo » 11 Jul 2018, 08:09

This is a brilliant idea, am among those who really struggled when i begun. This would go a long way in building beginners.
He lays me besides still waters. He prepares a banquet before my enemies.
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall not fear.
For the Lord is my Shepherd
:techie-reference:

CatInTheHat
Bookshelves Moderator
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 82
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 98
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading: We Were Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 465
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catinthehat.html
Latest Review: Lunch Money by Roger M. Cullen
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by CatInTheHat » 11 Jul 2018, 08:52

Book Bear wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 11:43
How about a section specifically related to adult literacy providing people with information on how to get started if they can't read and how to improve if they are struggling?
I don't think that reading books in order to write high-quality reviews is something that people who can't read are going to be up to doing. They need adult literacy classes, which isn't what OBC is about. Adult literacy programs are typically found in one's community, often through the local government or local schools.
Life without a good book is something the CatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Grateful to get the opportunity to explore new books with those in the OBC.

gali
Site Admin
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 105
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Girl in the Tower
Bookshelf Size: 1856
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali » 14 Jul 2018, 07:12

CatInTheHat wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 08:52
Book Bear wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 11:43
I don't think that reading books in order to write high-quality reviews is something that people who can't read are going to be up to doing. They need adult literacy classes, which isn't what OBC is about. Adult literacy programs are typically found in one's community, often through the local government or local schools.
:text-yeahthat:
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Book Bear
Currently Reading: Earth Alone
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-bear.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B0184OCGAK

Post by Book Bear » 18 Jul 2018, 14:46

Helen_Combe wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 07:19
It’s a lovely idea, but I think this site requires a decent base level of literacy just to be able to navigate around it and understand the rules
I obviously haven't got a base level of literacy because I still can't navigate around it properly! That was a joke. I hope.

Helen_Combe
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 146
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading: power corrupts
Bookshelf Size: 157
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: Losing Normal by Francis Moss
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe » 18 Jul 2018, 14:48

Book Bear wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 14:46
Helen_Combe wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 07:19
I obviously haven't got a base level of literacy because I still can't navigate around it properly! That was a joke. I hope.
I was as the level of a two year old for months :lol:
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box”