BOTD Skip a Day

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

BOTD Skip a Day

Post by kfwilson6 »

There are days when I am so busy that getting online to share the Book of the Day can be quite challenging. It would be nice to have a skip option maybe once every 90 days or so where we don't have to participate in the BOTD sharing and can keep our entries.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I thought the "shares" were bonus entries and that you don't lose your previous entries if you skip the bonus entries...as long as you do the main entry. The main entry is when you click enter that you either sampled the BOTD or downloaded it, depending on what is required (it is required to download the book if it''s free).
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

kfwilson6 wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 16:12 There are days when I am so busy that getting online to share the Book of the Day can be quite challenging. It would be nice to have a skip option maybe once every 90 days or so where we don't have to participate in the BOTD sharing and can keep our entries.
I'm honestly tired of doing BOTD shares just to get 4 points because Pinterest is the only social media I use. I like getting the gift card I was randomly selected once for the winner so that was nice, but I don't like having to share books I'm not particularly fond of and I don't like downloading books I'll never read. Honestly I download them and then delete them eventually.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

AmySmiles wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 12:33
kfwilson6 wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 16:12 There are days when I am so busy that getting online to share the Book of the Day can be quite challenging. It would be nice to have a skip option maybe once every 90 days or so where we don't have to participate in the BOTD sharing and can keep our entries.
I'm honestly tired of doing BOTD shares just to get 4 points because Pinterest is the only social media I use. I like getting the gift card I was randomly selected once for the winner so that was nice, but I don't like having to share books I'm not particularly fond of and I don't like downloading books I'll never read. Honestly I download them and then delete them eventually.
I understand your feelings. It is quite a commitment. I keep hoping I'll get to a point where my # of replies and views on my reviews will give me enough points that I only have to share when I really think a book is worth sharing. I get it though. By us sharing, it is exposure for the author and the book no matter what comment we make about a book. And some books really are worth sharing. I have found some excellent books through BOTD.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

bookowlie wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 07:01 I thought the "shares" were bonus entries and that you don't lose your previous entries if you skip the bonus entries...as long as you do the main entry. The main entry is when you click enter that you either sampled the BOTD or downloaded it, depending on what is required (it is required to download the book if it''s free).
That's true. The most time consuming part is reading the sample though. I don't want to say I read the sample if I didn't. You also lose your points for social media sharing though. So to tack on to my suggestion, if you use the Skip a Day, as long as the 4 days before that day you shared, you still get to keep your points toward your reviewer score. So the system treats your "skip day" as if that day didn't even exist.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I guess it's important if you need those extra points in your overall score.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

My issue is I have limited space on my kindle, so if I download the book of the day every day I start getting low storage warnings and have to delete the ones I don't think I'll get around to reading anyway.

Is it okay if we just download the sample, rather than the whole book? Is it okay if we delete the book after a few days (at least off our device, but still keep it in our cloud)?
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I don't think you can just download the sample. If you win, you have to forward the Amazon receipt that you "bought" the free book so it wouldn't have that receipt from only downloading the sample. As far as deleting the book a few days later, I guess that's up to you since you would still have the receipt that you "bought" the free book.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

KCWolf wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 09:50 My issue is I have limited space on my kindle, so if I download the book of the day every day I start getting low storage warnings and have to delete the ones I don't think I'll get around to reading anyway.

Is it okay if we just download the sample, rather than the whole book? Is it okay if we delete the book after a few days (at least off our device, but still keep it in our cloud)?
You need to buy the free book for it to count. You don't have to download it to your kindle, though, and you can keep it in your cloud.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

About the books, I know I am not going to read a lot of these, and they do clutter up my Kindle, but I have no problems deleting. I usually put them on my Kindle for PC,too, which I think has more memory.

Also, you can just go in and do the "fast" shares, like the Tweet and the Pintrest Pin. I do those first so I don't lose my points. I usually don't have time to write the longer ones, or do the First Ten until the evening, anyway. And I have spent many a morning at the computer eating my breakfast to do this, so I get your point.

When I was on vacation in July, I stayed with family and had to keep borrowing their computer so I could keep up. I wasn't doing First Ten at that point, but it was still difficult to keep checking, waiting for the BOTD to show up, and then hog their computer time...etc.

So, it would be a nice option to be able to put it on hold, like stopping your newspaper when you are on vacation. . . . I guess I am aging myself with that comment.

:tiphat: :tiphat:
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”