BOTD Skip a Day

(Formerly the "Support, Feedback and Forum Announcements" forum.)
Please help us make Online Book Club even better! Please post suggestions, feedback and ideas for new features. Wild brainstorming and potentially 'crazy ideas' are super-strongly encouraged! :)

For new members (or old members who run into an issue), please make a post in this forum asking any questions you have about using the site and how it works that are not answered in the FAQ. Not only are we happy help you, but also we can use your feedback to make the site better for tomorrow's new member! A lot of the instructions throughout the site and answers in the FAQ are there because someone else pointed out that it wasn't clear before.

---

IMPORTANT: The Public Suggestion Box is NOT for discussing issues with the Review Team. If you are a reviewer and need help, please first check the Review Team Page and then if you still need help use the Review Team Support Forum. If you are an author and need help, please first check the Author Dashboard and if that does not resolve your issue use the private contact form. For reference, there is a contact link on every page of the website.

---

To ensure the above procedures are used, posts by new members in the Suggestion Box will be held for moderation.

There are over 240,000 members at OnlineBookClub.org. Following the proper procedures to get help or make suggestions actually helps us help you much faster.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss issues related to the Review Team in the Public Suggestion Box. If you have an issue or question related to the review Team, please check either the Author Dashboard (if you are an author or publisher), or check the Review Team Page (if you are a reviewer).
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: The Invisible Realm
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: Let's Get Sandy at the Beach by Grampa Farkas
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

BOTD Skip a Day

Post by kfwilson6 » 17 Jun 2018, 16:12

There are days when I am so busy that getting online to share the Book of the Day can be quite challenging. It would be nice to have a skip option maybe once every 90 days or so where we don't have to participate in the BOTD sharing and can keep our entries.

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: The Dating Policy by Suzanne Eglington

Post by bookowlie » 19 Jun 2018, 07:01

I thought the "shares" were bonus entries and that you don't lose your previous entries if you skip the bonus entries...as long as you do the main entry. The main entry is when you click enter that you either sampled the BOTD or downloaded it, depending on what is required (it is required to download the book if it''s free).
"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - Louisa May Alcott

AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Letters From The War by Amanda Bryant
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles » 19 Jun 2018, 12:33

kfwilson6 wrote:
17 Jun 2018, 16:12
There are days when I am so busy that getting online to share the Book of the Day can be quite challenging. It would be nice to have a skip option maybe once every 90 days or so where we don't have to participate in the BOTD sharing and can keep our entries.
I'm honestly tired of doing BOTD shares just to get 4 points because Pinterest is the only social media I use. I like getting the gift card I was randomly selected once for the winner so that was nice, but I don't like having to share books I'm not particularly fond of and I don't like downloading books I'll never read. Honestly I download them and then delete them eventually.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown

kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 » 19 Jun 2018, 13:00

AmySmiles wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 12:33
kfwilson6 wrote:
I'm honestly tired of doing BOTD shares just to get 4 points because Pinterest is the only social media I use. I like getting the gift card I was randomly selected once for the winner so that was nice, but I don't like having to share books I'm not particularly fond of and I don't like downloading books I'll never read. Honestly I download them and then delete them eventually.
I understand your feelings. It is quite a commitment. I keep hoping I'll get to a point where my # of replies and views on my reviews will give me enough points that I only have to share when I really think a book is worth sharing. I get it though. By us sharing, it is exposure for the author and the book no matter what comment we make about a book. And some books really are worth sharing. I have found some excellent books through BOTD.

kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 » 19 Jun 2018, 13:03

bookowlie wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 07:01
I thought the "shares" were bonus entries and that you don't lose your previous entries if you skip the bonus entries...as long as you do the main entry. The main entry is when you click enter that you either sampled the BOTD or downloaded it, depending on what is required (it is required to download the book if it''s free).
That's true. The most time consuming part is reading the sample though. I don't want to say I read the sample if I didn't. You also lose your points for social media sharing though. So to tack on to my suggestion, if you use the Skip a Day, as long as the 4 days before that day you shared, you still get to keep your points toward your reviewer score. So the system treats your "skip day" as if that day didn't even exist.

bookowlie
Currently Reading:

Post by bookowlie » 19 Jun 2018, 14:50

I guess it's important if you need those extra points in your overall score.
"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - Louisa May Alcott

KCWolf
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 64
Currently Reading: Her Mad Hatter
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by KCWolf » 19 Sep 2018, 09:50

My issue is I have limited space on my kindle, so if I download the book of the day every day I start getting low storage warnings and have to delete the ones I don't think I'll get around to reading anyway.

Is it okay if we just download the sample, rather than the whole book? Is it okay if we delete the book after a few days (at least off our device, but still keep it in our cloud)?
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom and Her Mad Hatter :techie-studyingbrown:
Currently Writing: Sovereign Eyes: Gifted Saga Episode 1 and Redemption Trails

bookowlie
Currently Reading:

Post by bookowlie » 19 Sep 2018, 10:09

I don't think you can just download the sample. If you win, you have to forward the Amazon receipt that you "bought" the free book so it wouldn't have that receipt from only downloading the sample. As far as deleting the book a few days later, I guess that's up to you since you would still have the receipt that you "bought" the free book.

gali
Site Admin
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 119
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Mine
Bookshelf Size: 1872
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali » 19 Sep 2018, 10:49

KCWolf wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 09:50
My issue is I have limited space on my kindle, so if I download the book of the day every day I start getting low storage warnings and have to delete the ones I don't think I'll get around to reading anyway.

Is it okay if we just download the sample, rather than the whole book? Is it okay if we delete the book after a few days (at least off our device, but still keep it in our cloud)?
You need to buy the free book for it to count. You don't have to download it to your kindle, though, and you can keep it in your cloud.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

FictionLover
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 84
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading: How To Develop Good Study Habits
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Tante Minnie by Marilyn Parker
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover » 23 Sep 2018, 06:52

kfwilson6 wrote:
About the books, I know I am not going to read a lot of these, and they do clutter up my Kindle, but I have no problems deleting. I usually put them on my Kindle for PC,too, which I think has more memory.

Also, you can just go in and do the "fast" shares, like the Tweet and the Pintrest Pin. I do those first so I don't lose my points. I usually don't have time to write the longer ones, or do the First Ten until the evening, anyway. And I have spent many a morning at the computer eating my breakfast to do this, so I get your point.

When I was on vacation in July, I stayed with family and had to keep borrowing their computer so I could keep up. I wasn't doing First Ten at that point, but it was still difficult to keep checking, waiting for the BOTD to show up, and then hog their computer time...etc.

So, it would be a nice option to be able to put it on hold, like stopping your newspaper when you are on vacation. . . . I guess I am aging myself with that comment.

:tiphat: :tiphat:
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot

Return to “Public Suggestion Box”