#BOTD Not Available For Free on Amazon Australia

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Karencantley1
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karencantley1.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

#BOTD Not Available For Free on Amazon Australia

Post by Karencantley1 »

BOTD “The Improbable Journeys of Billy Battles: Book 2, Finding Billy Battles Trilogy” is NOT available for free in Australia, it’s $8.99. Amazon global site would not allow me to download it for $0.00, I was re-directed back to the Australian site, so I had to be satisfied with just reading the sample. I just wanted to register this with you to avoid possible disqualification from the raffle.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Karencantley1 wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 17:33 BOTD “The Improbable Journeys of Billy Battles: Book 2, Finding Billy Battles Trilogy” is NOT available for free in Australia, it’s $8.99. Amazon global site would not allow me to download it for $0.00, I was re-directed back to the Australian site, so I had to be satisfied with just reading the sample. I just wanted to register this with you to avoid possible disqualification from the raffle.
Thank you for your post. I'm here down under, too. You're only the second one I've "met" here so far. :tiphat:

Did you eventually get the free book for that day? If you didn't, were you disqualified and was that the only book that didn't turn out free for you? In May of this year (before the July 2018 Amazon / Amazon.com.au announcement), I was still able to directly download free books from Amazon.com and received receipts for them but I no longer couldn't thereafter.

To my surprise, today's Book of the Day (BOTD) entry is now free on the Amazon.com.au website; however, there was no receipt for my free purchase. I tried purchasing other free (but non-BOTD) books on the site today, too, and I received receipts for them, so I am wondering if such had also been happening in your case.

Sorry if I am asking you this directly, but I don't think any of the moderators of the site are in our country so you are my best hope for further enlightenment. :angelic-cyan:
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Espie wrote: 12 Nov 2018, 20:17
Karencantley1 wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 17:33 BOTD “The Improbable Journeys of Billy Battles: Book 2, Finding Billy Battles Trilogy” is NOT available for free in Australia, it’s $8.99. Amazon global site would not allow me to download it for $0.00, I was re-directed back to the Australian site, so I had to be satisfied with just reading the sample. I just wanted to register this with you to avoid possible disqualification from the raffle.
Thank you for your post. I'm here down under, too. You're only the second one I've "met" here so far. :tiphat:

Did you eventually get the free book for that day? If you didn't, were you disqualified and was that the only book that didn't turn out free for you? In May of this year (before the July 2018 Amazon / Amazon.com.au announcement), I was still able to directly download free books from Amazon.com and received receipts for them but I no longer couldn't thereafter.

To my surprise, today's Book of the Day (BOTD) entry is now free on the Amazon.com.au website; however, there was no receipt for my free purchase. I tried purchasing other free (but non-BOTD) books on the site today, too, and I received receipts for them, so I am wondering if such had also been happening in your case.

Sorry if I am asking you this directly, but I don't think any of the moderators of the site are in our country so you are my best hope for further enlightenment. :angelic-cyan:
You only need the receipt for the book if it is a free copy of the book offered and you happen to win on that day. You would then receive an email indicating you won pending verification of purchase. If this happens to be a book you cannot download free due to your location, I would just respond to that email with that information, indicating you are in Australia, the BOTD was not free for you, and you read the sample instead. You can still do all of your entries based on the sample. Hope that helps somewhat. Also, if you don't get a receipt in your email for a purchase, you should be able to go onto your Amazon account and review any old orders. You should be able to pull an order confirmation or invoice from there to send should you win.
Espie

Post by Espie »

kfwilson6 wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 10:51

You only need the receipt for the book if it is a free copy of the book offered and you happen to win on that day. You would then receive an email indicating you won pending verification of purchase. If this happens to be a book you cannot download free due to your location, I would just respond to that email with that information, indicating you are in Australia, the BOTD was not free for you, and you read the sample instead. You can still do all of your entries based on the sample. Hope that helps somewhat. Also, if you don't get a receipt in your email for a purchase, you should be able to go onto your Amazon account and review any old orders. You should be able to pull an order confirmation or invoice from there to send should you win.
Thank you for your prompt, very clear, and helpful response. :tiphat:

Kindly include the information for the following, too:
What happens if the book isn't free from both Amazon.com and Amazon.com.au websites and our OBC site states that the book is "free for everyone"? Would we be able to vie for the Reward in addition to getting the "popularity" points for sharing the BOTD?
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Espie wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 17:34

What happens if the book isn't free from both Amazon.com and Amazon.com.au websites and our OBC site states that the book is "free for everyone"? Would we be able to vie for the Reward in addition to getting the "popularity" points for sharing the BOTD?
I believe this would only be relevant if you happened to win the contest on a day when the book is free versus a sample being offered to everyone. As I said, when you win, you get an email asking you for the receipt if it was a free book day. If that happens to you, simply respond to the email address provided with an explanation that the book was not free through the Amazon you have access to, rather than sending a receipt as prompted (since this isn't possible in your case). I don't think you would be disqualified from your winnings.

I'm assuming you can't get a free copy of the book, but you can still get a free sample each time, correct? The contest is based on reading the sample anyway, so that covers actual entries for the contest.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

When the BOTD is free, one must buy it to be eligible in the Giveaway and to get the reward. It says so on the Giveaway page.

The following link may help: Books from .com version of Amazon for non-.com Amazon users
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Espie

Post by Espie »

kfwilson6 wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 20:40
Espie wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 17:34

I believe this would only be relevant if you happened to win the contest on a day when the book is free versus a sample being offered to everyone. As I said, when you win, you get an email asking you for the receipt if it was a free book day. If that happens to you, simply respond to the email address provided with an explanation that the book was not free through the Amazon you have access to, rather than sending a receipt as prompted (since this isn't possible in your case). I don't think you would be disqualified from your winnings.

I'm assuming you can't get a free copy of the book, but you can still get a free sample each time, correct? The contest is based on reading the sample anyway, so that covers actual entries for the contest.
Yes, I agree. Thank you for confirming that. :text-thankyouyellow:

gali wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 23:20 When the BOTD is free, one must buy it to be eligible in the Giveaway and to get the reward. It says so on the Giveaway page.

The following link may help: Books from .com version of Amazon for non-.com Amazon users
Thank you for providing that information. You've always been very helpful. :text-thankyoublue:

I was referring to BOTD entries, which:
-were meant to be "free for everyone" according to the Giveaway page (and are, therefore, meant to be purchased for $0.00 and not with a greater amount); and,
-turn up not free (because they cost more than $0.00 when they are supposed to be free) in both the Amazon.com and Amazon.com.au websites (when the word "everyone" in our Giveaway page should mean nobody, regardless of location or country, should be discriminated against) for a certain reason but not the participating member's fault.
It seems like our beloved country has more unique qualities beyond its location below the equator and seasons completely opposite from yours there in the northern hemisphere. You're nearing winter :snowing-smiley: but we're off to summer now here. :character-sebastian:

I now have Scott's specific instructions as follows:

"Are you in Australia?

If the Book of the Day is listed as "free for everyone" but is not
showing for free for you on either Amazon.com or Amazon.com.au, then
please take a screenshot of that and email the screenshot to me that
same day.

Should you win that giveaway that day, I will waive the requirement for
you to send a receipt for that book for that day."

I hope this helps, too. :angelic-cyan:

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”