What are the rules and regulations that govern the free giveaway? The system is flawed .

(Formerly the "Support, Feedback and Forum Announcements" forum.)
Please help us make Online Book Club even better! Please post suggestions, feedback and ideas for new features. Wild brainstorming and potentially 'crazy ideas' are super-strongly encouraged! :)

For new members (or old members who run into an issue), please make a post in this forum asking any questions you have about using the site and how it works that are not answered in the FAQ. Not only are we happy help you, but also we can use your feedback to make the site better for tomorrow's new member! A lot of the instructions throughout the site and answers in the FAQ are there because someone else pointed out that it wasn't clear before.

---

IMPORTANT: The Public Suggestion Box is NOT for discussing issues with the Review Team. If you are a reviewer and need help, please first check the Review Team Page and then if you still need help use the Review Team Support Forum. If you are an author and need help, please first check the Author Dashboard and if that does not resolve your issue use the private contact form. For reference, there is a contact link on every page of the website.

---

To ensure the above procedures are used, posts by new members in the Suggestion Box will be held for moderation.

There are over 240,000 members at OnlineBookClub.org. Following the proper procedures to get help or make suggestions actually helps us help you much faster.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss issues related to the Review Team in the Public Suggestion Box. If you have an issue or question related to the review Team, please check either the Author Dashboard (if you are an author or publisher), or check the Review Team Page (if you are a reviewer).
Locked
User avatar
Rosebella
Posts: 222
Joined: 07 Mar 2018, 06:09
2018 Reading Goal: 80
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: Complicated Hearts Duet 2
Currently Reading: Mona
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosebella.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 96867
Location: Thika,kenya

What are the rules and regulations that govern the free giveaway? The system is flawed .

Post by Rosebella » 02 Jun 2018, 01:28

I read from posts from other members of prior entries being taken away after sometimes missing a single posting. As was in my case days of earlier postings were deducted after, for a reason i still don't understand, a twitter post didn't get posted.
This seems like a regular occurence, despite the cancellation OBC and Scott still benefit from the prior entries done by me and other members from the different social sites. I didn't see the other comments being deleted in any way just because of disqualification. They still aid the author and BoTD popularity.
What are rules that govern the giveaway? Because when i used the contact form gali informed those are the rules.
Is possible to opt out of the giveaway and let my reviewer score points be purely be from my reviews and comments. The system seems flawed and OBC policy seems if it broke for them, don't fix it.

User avatar
gali
Site Admin
Posts: 31404
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 07:12
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 77
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Artemis
Bookshelf Size: 1827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484
Location: Lost in a good book

Post by gali » 02 Jun 2018, 01:39

The Giveaway clearly states the rules. One should not submit invalid entries! One should only click on entry he shared/commented/pinned/liked. It is best to check that the entry was indeed shared/pined before clicking on the button. Comment need to demonstrate that you've read the review/sampled the book to count for the BOTD giveaway entry. Also, one should make sure his links lead to his profiles. When one entry is invalid, the entire Entry is getting disqualified. This policy was made to prevent cheating.

You don't have to participate in the Giveaway. There are other ways to increase your score and your RT page lists them.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

User avatar
Rosebella
Posts: 222
Joined: 07 Mar 2018, 06:09
2018 Reading Goal: 80
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: Complicated Hearts Duet 2
Currently Reading: Mona
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosebella.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 96867
Location: Thika,kenya

Post by Rosebella » 02 Jun 2018, 02:35

gali wrote:
02 Jun 2018, 01:39
The Giveaway clearly states the rules. One should not submit invalid entries! One should only click on entry he shared/commented/pinned/liked. It is best to check that the entry was indeed shared/pined before clicking on the button. Comment need to demonstrate that you've read the review/sampled the book to count for the BOTD giveaway entry. Also, one should make sure his links lead to his profiles. When one entry is invalid, the entire Entry is getting disqualified. This policy was made to prevent cheating.

You don't have to participate in the Giveaway. There are other ways to increase your score and your RT page lists them.

I just read through RT page ,all i saw was how points are earned , didn't see a mention on disqualification. Where exactly is that?
I want to stop posting in the giveaways, would prefer my reviewer score to be only from points from my reviews and comments alone. My fear is future disqualifications will cancel all prior entries , in term eat away at my reviewer score. The whole point of joining OBC was to read and review.
My question to you, because you know all the rules that apply, can i opt out of giveaways without it negatively eating away my reviewer score?

User avatar
gali
Site Admin
Posts: 31404
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 07:12
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 77
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Artemis
Bookshelf Size: 1827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484
Location: Lost in a good book

Post by gali » 02 Jun 2018, 03:06

Rosebella wrote:
02 Jun 2018, 02:35
gali wrote:
02 Jun 2018, 01:39
The Giveaway clearly states the rules. One should not submit invalid entries! One should only click on entry he shared/commented/pinned/liked. It is best to check that the entry was indeed shared/pined before clicking on the button. Comment need to demonstrate that you've read the review/sampled the book to count for the BOTD giveaway entry. Also, one should make sure his links lead to his profiles. When one entry is invalid, the entire Entry is getting disqualified. This policy was made to prevent cheating.

You don't have to participate in the Giveaway. There are other ways to increase your score and your RT page lists them.

I just read through RT page ,all i saw was how points are earned , didn't see a mention on disqualification. Where exactly is that?
I want to stop posting in the giveaways, would prefer my reviewer score to be only from points from my reviews and comments alone. My fear is future disqualifications will cancel all prior entries , in term eat away at my reviewer score. The whole point of joining OBC was to read and review.
My question to you, because you know all the rules that apply, can i opt out of giveaways without it negatively eating away my reviewer score?
This info is on the Giveaway page, not on the RT page. For ex:
IMPORTANT: Your comment must be meaningful and demonstrate you actually read the review. Otherwise, you will be disqualified.
The same applies to the other entries. And if you lose the entries, naturally you lose the bonus points.

You can opt out of the giveaways. You won't get the bonus points, but it won't affect the other points.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

User avatar
Rosebella
Posts: 222
Joined: 07 Mar 2018, 06:09
2018 Reading Goal: 80
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: Complicated Hearts Duet 2
Currently Reading: Mona
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosebella.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 96867
Location: Thika,kenya

Post by Rosebella » 02 Jun 2018, 05:08

gali wrote:
02 Jun 2018, 03:06
Rosebella wrote:
02 Jun 2018, 02:35
gali wrote:
02 Jun 2018, 01:39
The Giveaway clearly states the rules. One should not submit invalid entries! One should only click on entry he shared/commented/pinned/liked. It is best to check that the entry was indeed shared/pined before clicking on the button. Comment need to demonstrate that you've read the review/sampled the book to count for the BOTD giveaway entry. Also, one should make sure his links lead to his profiles. When one entry is invalid, the entire Entry is getting disqualified. This policy was made to prevent cheating.

You don't have to participate in the Giveaway. There are other ways to increase your score and your RT page lists them.

I just read through RT page ,all i saw was how points are earned , didn't see a mention on disqualification. Where exactly is that?
I want to stop posting in the giveaways, would prefer my reviewer score to be only from points from my reviews and comments alone. My fear is future disqualifications will cancel all prior entries , in term eat away at my reviewer score. The whole point of joining OBC was to read and review.
My question to you, because you know all the rules that apply, can i opt out of giveaways without it negatively eating away my reviewer score?
This info is on the Giveaway page, not on the RT page. For ex:
IMPORTANT: Your comment must be meaningful and demonstrate you actually read the review. Otherwise, you will be disqualified.
The same applies to the other entries. And if you lose the entries, naturally you lose the bonus points.

You can opt out of the giveaways. You won't get the bonus points, but it won't affect the other points.

Yes ,that part I saw. I never it saw it mentioned that disqualification of entry , would lead to loss of all other entries. Maybe it can be added, so when it happens members don't feel as if they being taken for a ride.
I will take you on your word that my points from the reviewer score won't be deducted if I no longer participate in the giveaway. Because I believe a person's words hold great value.
Concerning the entries I have acquired so far, will they also be disqualified if I no longer participate in giveaway ?

User avatar
gali
Site Admin
Posts: 31404
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 07:12
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 77
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Artemis
Bookshelf Size: 1827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484
Location: Lost in a good book

Post by gali » 02 Jun 2018, 05:34

Rosebella wrote:
02 Jun 2018, 05:08
gali wrote:
02 Jun 2018, 03:06
Rosebella wrote:
02 Jun 2018, 02:35


I just read through RT page ,all i saw was how points are earned , didn't see a mention on disqualification. Where exactly is that?
I want to stop posting in the giveaways, would prefer my reviewer score to be only from points from my reviews and comments alone. My fear is future disqualifications will cancel all prior entries , in term eat away at my reviewer score. The whole point of joining OBC was to read and review.
My question to you, because you know all the rules that apply, can i opt out of giveaways without it negatively eating away my reviewer score?
This info is on the Giveaway page, not on the RT page. For ex:
IMPORTANT: Your comment must be meaningful and demonstrate you actually read the review. Otherwise, you will be disqualified.
The same applies to the other entries. And if you lose the entries, naturally you lose the bonus points.

You can opt out of the giveaways. You won't get the bonus points, but it won't affect the other points.

Yes ,that part I saw. I never it saw it mentioned that disqualification of entry , would lead to loss of all other entries. Maybe it can be added, so when it happens members don't feel as if they being taken for a ride.
I will take you on your word that my points from the reviewer score won't be deducted if I no longer participate in the giveaway. Because I believe a person's words hold great value.
Concerning the entries I have acquired so far, will they also be disqualified if I no longer participate in giveaway ?
I didn't say that. Please do not put words into my mouth. You score may decrease if the other categories, including the Popularity of reviews, don't meet the requirements.

Once you stop participating, you won't get the bonus points. Your overall points may be deducted due to that. It depends on the strength of the other factors.

Please read the info on your score tab as it explains about that.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

User avatar
Rosebella
Posts: 222
Joined: 07 Mar 2018, 06:09
2018 Reading Goal: 80
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: Complicated Hearts Duet 2
Currently Reading: Mona
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosebella.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 96867
Location: Thika,kenya

Post by Rosebella » 02 Jun 2018, 06:12

gali wrote:
02 Jun 2018, 05:34
Rosebella wrote:
02 Jun 2018, 05:08
gali wrote:
02 Jun 2018, 03:06


This info is on the Giveaway page, not on the RT page. For ex: The same applies to the other entries. And if you lose the entries, naturally you lose the bonus points.

You can opt out of the giveaways. You won't get the bonus points, but it won't affect the other points.

Yes ,that part I saw. I never it saw it mentioned that disqualification of entry , would lead to loss of all other entries. Maybe it can be added, so when it happens members don't feel as if they being taken for a ride.
I will take you on your word that my points from the reviewer score won't be deducted if I no longer participate in the giveaway. Because I believe a person's words hold great value.
Concerning the entries I have acquired so far, will they also be disqualified if I no longer participate in giveaway ?
I didn't say that. Please do not put words into my mouth. You score may decrease if the other categories, including the Popularity of reviews, don't meet the requirements.

Once you stop participating, you won't get the bonus points. Your overall points may be deducted due to that. It depends on the strength of the other factors.

Please read the info on your score tab as it explains about that.
If I still decide not to participate, hence not get bonus points. I am still deducted points despite the fact the giveaway is suppose to optional. I lose points which I rightly earned from writing reviews, which was my main purpose of joining OBC.
Basically its not a choice, because I am screwed if I do and if I don't . I love reading books and enjoy writing reviews. This situation just makes me sad for me, for present and future members who will realise this all too soon.
Any way as we say in Swahili "Ni sawa tu"
Your site ,your rules.

User avatar
gali
Site Admin
Posts: 31404
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 07:12
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 77
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Artemis
Bookshelf Size: 1827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484
Location: Lost in a good book

Post by gali » 02 Jun 2018, 06:23

Rosebella wrote:
02 Jun 2018, 06:12
gali wrote:
02 Jun 2018, 05:34
Rosebella wrote:
02 Jun 2018, 05:08


Yes ,that part I saw. I never it saw it mentioned that disqualification of entry , would lead to loss of all other entries. Maybe it can be added, so when it happens members don't feel as if they being taken for a ride.
I will take you on your word that my points from the reviewer score won't be deducted if I no longer participate in the giveaway. Because I believe a person's words hold great value.
Concerning the entries I have acquired so far, will they also be disqualified if I no longer participate in giveaway ?
I didn't say that. Please do not put words into my mouth. You score may decrease if the other categories, including the Popularity of reviews, don't meet the requirements.

Once you stop participating, you won't get the bonus points. Your overall points may be deducted due to that. It depends on the strength of the other factors.

Please read the info on your score tab as it explains about that.
If I still decide not to participate, hence not get bonus points. I am still deducted points despite the fact the giveaway is suppose to optional. I lose points which I rightly earned from writing reviews, which was my main purpose of joining OBC.
Basically its not a choice, because I am screwed if I do and if I don't . I love reading books and enjoy writing reviews. This situation just makes me sad for me, for present and future members who will realise this all too soon.
Any way as we say in Swahili "Ni sawa tu"
Your site ,your rules.
You loss the bonus points, but you can increase your score in other ways. All this explained in your RT page.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

User avatar
Rosebella
Posts: 222
Joined: 07 Mar 2018, 06:09
2018 Reading Goal: 80
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: Complicated Hearts Duet 2
Currently Reading: Mona
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosebella.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 96867
Location: Thika,kenya

Post by Rosebella » 02 Jun 2018, 12:47

gali wrote:
02 Jun 2018, 06:23
Rosebella wrote:
02 Jun 2018, 06:12
gali wrote:
02 Jun 2018, 05:34


I didn't say that. Please do not put words into my mouth. You score may decrease if the other categories, including the Popularity of reviews, don't meet the requirements.

Once you stop participating, you won't get the bonus points. Your overall points may be deducted due to that. It depends on the strength of the other factors.

Please read the info on your score tab as it explains about that.
If I still decide not to participate, hence not get bonus points. I am still deducted points despite the fact the giveaway is suppose to optional. I lose points which I rightly earned from writing reviews, which was my main purpose of joining OBC.
Basically its not a choice, because I am screwed if I do and if I don't . I love reading books and enjoy writing reviews. This situation just makes me sad for me, for present and future members who will realise this all too soon.
Any way as we say in Swahili "Ni sawa tu"
Your site ,your rules.
You loss the bonus points, but you can increase your score in other ways. All this explained in your RT page.
You say it with such ease, I wish you would understand how hard it was to gain those points in the first place . I have totally lost faith in your site because if I am working hard on one end, losing points on another side with such speed. For a part which you say is optional. I saw a glimpse into the future it was bleak.
I read back on other members past posts and saw its a continuing issue, which so far hasn't found a solution. So is there really hope? If even when I choose not to do the giveaway, I lose for not gaining bonus points.
I wish you well, seeing your also a member hope you will never encounter this situation being a moderator and all. I guess," Only the wearer of the shoe feels the pinch".

User avatar
gali
Site Admin
Posts: 31404
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 07:12
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 77
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Artemis
Bookshelf Size: 1827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484
Location: Lost in a good book

Post by gali » 02 Jun 2018, 12:58

Rosebella wrote:
02 Jun 2018, 12:47
gali wrote:
02 Jun 2018, 06:23
Rosebella wrote:
02 Jun 2018, 06:12


If I still decide not to participate, hence not get bonus points. I am still deducted points despite the fact the giveaway is suppose to optional. I lose points which I rightly earned from writing reviews, which was my main purpose of joining OBC.
Basically its not a choice, because I am screwed if I do and if I don't . I love reading books and enjoy writing reviews. This situation just makes me sad for me, for present and future members who will realise this all too soon.
Any way as we say in Swahili "Ni sawa tu"
Your site ,your rules.
You loss the bonus points, but you can increase your score in other ways. All this explained in your RT page.
You say it with such ease, I wish you would understand how hard it was to gain those points in the first place . I have totally lost faith in your site because if I am working hard on one end, losing points on another side with such speed. For a part which you say is optional. I saw a glimpse into the future it was bleak.
I read back on other members past posts and saw its a continuing issue, which so far hasn't found a solution. So is there really hope? If even when I choose not to do the giveaway, I lose for not gaining bonus points.
I wish you well, seeing your also a member hope you will never encounter this situation being a moderator and all. I guess," Only the wearer of the shoe feels the pinch".
First of all, it is Scott's site, so if you have complaints, you should contact him. This isn't the Forum for complaints or rudeness. Second, I used to review and like you had to start from the bottom. The difference was that there were NO bonus points, and I had to work up the levels without them. This topic exhausted itself. I am locking the thread.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Locked

Return to “Public Suggestion Box”