Points for Amazon review

(Formerly the "Support, Feedback and Forum Announcements" forum.)
Please help us make Online Book Club even better! Please post suggestions, feedback and ideas for new features. Wild brainstorming and potentially 'crazy ideas' are super-strongly encouraged! :)

For new members (or old members who run into an issue), please make a post in this forum asking any questions you have about using the site and how it works that are not answered in the FAQ. Not only are we happy help you, but also we can use your feedback to make the site better for tomorrow's new member! A lot of the instructions throughout the site and answers in the FAQ are there because someone else pointed out that it wasn't clear before.

---

IMPORTANT: The Public Suggestion Box is NOT for discussing issues with the Review Team. If you are a reviewer and need help, please first check the Review Team Page and then if you still need help use the Review Team Support Forum. If you are an author and need help, please first check the Author Dashboard and if that does not resolve your issue use the private contact form. For reference, there is a contact link on every page of the website.

---

To ensure the above procedures are used, posts by new members in the Suggestion Box will be held for moderation.

There are over 240,000 members at OnlineBookClub.org. Following the proper procedures to get help or make suggestions actually helps us help you much faster.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss issues related to the Review Team in the Public Suggestion Box. If you have an issue or question related to the review Team, please check either the Author Dashboard (if you are an author or publisher), or check the Review Team Page (if you are a reviewer).
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Desiderata by Aakash Doshi

Points for Amazon review

Post by AmySmiles » 23 Apr 2018, 21:14

I think that if you are asked to do a Amazon review that you should get bonus points toward your reviewer score. Maybe like 5 points.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown

jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez » 24 Apr 2018, 01:40

5 points directly to the Reviewer's Points? I think 5 points is too high and may be a bit unfair. People who can write Amazon reviews already have the advantage of getting a wider book selection. Besides, I think there are also some users who still can't post Amazon reviews due to the minimum purchase restriction.

What about giving additional bonus entries to the daily giveaway instead of points? This is just my take though :)

AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles » 24 Apr 2018, 06:25

I can't participate fully in the giveaways because the only social media I'm on is Pinterest. So it would be the same for those who can't do Amazon reviews. Make it one point then. What incentive do I have to take my time to write another review?
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown

jvez
Currently Reading:

Post by jvez » 24 Apr 2018, 07:10

I'm also not one for social media so I don't have much hopes in the giveaway. And I've been thinking, perhaps if the site places a maximum limit of points you can get (just like they do with the other categories), I think giving points would be okay.

Like I mentioned above, if you can write Amazon reviews you have more books to choose from. Some authors require reviewers who can also write reviews on Amazon. So you get more chances to get paid and more choices of books. I know a larger number of choices may not seem like a good advantage at first, but I know of some reviewers in the higher levels who say it's actually an advantage for them. Perhaps because their payment is higher than $5 so they feel the incentive. And because their payment is okay, they don't mind writing two reviews. I guess we have to work our way up the levels first as well.

AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles » 24 Apr 2018, 08:00

jvez wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 07:10
I'm also not one for social media so I don't have much hopes in the giveaway. And I've been thinking, perhaps if the site places a maximum limit of points you can get (just like they do with the other categories), I think giving points would be okay.

Like I mentioned above, if you can write Amazon reviews you have more books to choose from. Some authors require reviewers who can also write reviews on Amazon. So you get more chances to get paid and more choices of books. I know a larger number of choices may not seem like a good advantage at first, but I know of some reviewers in the higher levels who say it's actually an advantage for them. Perhaps because their payment is higher than $5 so they feel the incentive. And because their payment is okay, they don't mind writing two reviews. I guess we have to work our way up the levels first as well.
That makes sense maybe I'll feel that way when I can get paid too. I've only done two so far. I am reviewing one that will pay me $5 once I am finished, but I just feel like it is so hard to get points on here that a little compensation for the extra work would be nice. I've even done quite well on my review scores and am struggling to get points, I have just a little over 50. I don't have a whole lot of time to be active on the boards so the little points I get for that takes forever to obtain. It was just an idea.
–Author Unknown

jvez
Currently Reading:

Post by jvez » 24 Apr 2018, 09:17

astarnes wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 08:00
jvez wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 07:10

That makes sense maybe I'll feel that way when I can get paid too. I've only done two so far. I am reviewing one that will pay me $5 once I am finished, but I just feel like it is so hard to get points on here that a little compensation for the extra work would be nice. I've even done quite well on my review scores and am struggling to get points, I have just a little over 50. I don't have a whole lot of time to be active on the boards so the little points I get for that takes forever to obtain. It was just an idea.
I understand how you feel. We're on the same boat as I don't use social media as well. I tend to lurk often in the forums, but even if I post a lot it still takes time to accumulate points. But who knows? Perhaps the admins have read your post and are already considering your suggestion. I do hope they give us more options to get points though. And by the way, I think 50pts for just 2 reviews is not bad. I myself took longer to get to level 2. And I've read posts from some high level reviewers that it took them almost 3months to get to around level 5 I think. So perhaps it does take a long time to get there. Let's not lose hope though. Good luck on your first paid review :)

CatInTheHat
Trial Bookshelves Moderator
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 59
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 98
Currently Reading: Executive Hoodlum
Bookshelf Size: 455
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catinthehat.html
Latest Review: Two Sheldon Iowa Summers by Donald De Vries
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CatInTheHat » 24 Apr 2018, 11:15

astarnes wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 08:00

Keep in mind that the Amazon review is only a few sentences. I never write more than 3-5 sentences in the Amazon review. Also note that the process to earn points and get to the high levels is not supposed to be quick. 50 points at 3 months is not bad.
Life without a good book is something the CatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Grateful to get the opportunity to explore new books with those in the OBC.

AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles » 24 Apr 2018, 11:41

[

Keep in mind that the Amazon review is only a few sentences. I never write more than 3-5 sentences in the Amazon review. Also note that the process to earn points and get to the high levels is not supposed to be quick. 50 points at 3 months is not bad.
[/quote]

I understand that, but it's still more work, more time etc. I just thought it would be nice to receive something for it. It was just a thought.
–Author Unknown

grahase71
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading: My trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grahase71.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by grahase71 » 25 Apr 2018, 09:26

I'm not a 'pininterst, or a twitter' type person----I do Facebook and I'm posted a couple of my reviews on Facebook and followed and liked the bookclub; I've written fair reviews (I think) and posted reviews on Amazon and my score is just not getting there. I'm trying hard not to get frustrated because I love to read and enjoy writing the reviews, but this 'score' thing is just not happening for me. :(
SEG

jvez
Currently Reading:

Post by jvez » 25 Apr 2018, 10:56

grahase71 wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 09:26
I'm not a 'pininterst, or a twitter' type person----I do Facebook and I'm posted a couple of my reviews on Facebook and followed and liked the bookclub; I've written fair reviews (I think) and posted reviews on Amazon and my score is just not getting there. I'm trying hard not to get frustrated because I love to read and enjoy writing the reviews, but this 'score' thing is just not happening for me. :(
SEG
I'm also quite new here and I must say the score thing really takes a while. I don't use social media so that's already one problem. But I was told it really does take time to go up the levels, and we just have to be more patient. You should try posting more on forums. It really helps. Or comment on others' reviews. Once you comment on others' reviews, they tend to comment on your reviews as well. Views and comments on your reviews count as additional points, too.

CatInTheHat
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 59
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 98
Currently Reading: Executive Hoodlum
Bookshelf Size: 455
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catinthehat.html
Latest Review: Two Sheldon Iowa Summers by Donald De Vries
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CatInTheHat » 25 Apr 2018, 19:51

grahase71 wrote:
SEG
I noticed that you've only made 21 posts in the forums so far. Getting more active in the forums will help. It also just takes time. You've only been a member for a little over a month. If you write great reviews and participate, you'll eventually get there.
Life without a good book is something the CatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Grateful to get the opportunity to explore new books with those in the OBC.

Sahani Nimandra
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 89
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 180
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Emotional Intelligence</a>
Currently Reading: A World Without Color
Bookshelf Size: 344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 02 May 2018, 02:20

AmySmiles wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 11:41
[

I understand that, but it's still more work, more time etc. I just thought it would be nice to receive something for it. It was just a thought.
[/quote]
50 points in 3 months is a big shot! It do, I too ran after it like a mad dog but it is possible to gain.
Happiness is a cup of coffee and a good book!

Sahani Nimandra
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 89
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 180
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Emotional Intelligence</a>
Currently Reading: A World Without Color
Bookshelf Size: 344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 02 May 2018, 02:21

CatInTheHat wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 19:51
grahase71 wrote:
SEG
I noticed that you've only made 21 posts in the forums so far. Getting more active in the forums will help. It also just takes time. You've only been a member for a little over a month. If you write great reviews and participate, you'll eventually get there.
That's true! It takes to get to the top but you can.
Happiness is a cup of coffee and a good book!

MsTri
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 133
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 15362">The Prodigal Son</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Prey to the Lord by Frank Catanzano
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by MsTri » 14 May 2018, 15:47

grahase71 wrote:
SEG
I'm not, either. In fact, if you looked at either my Twitter or Pinterest account, you'd see that they ONLY have OBC stuff. But it still counts towards BotD Giveaway entries, not to mention "points", when I do the required action, which only takes a second per action.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box”