Not Available In Your Country

(Formerly the "Support, Feedback and Forum Announcements" forum.)
Please help us make Online Book Club even better! Please post suggestions, feedback and ideas for new features. Wild brainstorming and potentially 'crazy ideas' are super-strongly encouraged! :)

For new members (or old members who run into an issue), please make a post in this forum asking any questions you have about using the site and how it works that are not answered in the FAQ. Not only are we happy help you, but also we can use your feedback to make the site better for tomorrow's new member! A lot of the instructions throughout the site and answers in the FAQ are there because someone else pointed out that it wasn't clear before.

---

IMPORTANT: The Public Suggestion Box is NOT for discussing issues with the Review Team. If you are a reviewer and need help, please first check the Review Team Page and then if you still need help use the Review Team Support Forum. If you are an author and need help, please first check the Author Dashboard and if that does not resolve your issue use the private contact form. For reference, there is a contact link on every page of the website.

---

To ensure the above procedures are used, posts by new members in the Suggestion Box will be held for moderation.

There are over 240,000 members at OnlineBookClub.org. Following the proper procedures to get help or make suggestions actually helps us help you much faster.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss issues related to the Review Team in the Public Suggestion Box. If you have an issue or question related to the review Team, please check either the Author Dashboard (if you are an author or publisher), or check the Review Team Page (if you are a reviewer).
tintinkie
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tintinkie.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Re: Not Available In Your Country

Post by tintinkie » 16 May 2018, 15:06

Hi all,
I am from Belgium and was wonderingen if you guys ever won or bought an Amazon gift voucher? I am not able to leave a review untill I pay to read a book. But no payment works for me...
I am hoping that I can buy a voucher and that it will work!
Thanks for posting about the possibility of a book not able to download when outside the US. Sucks a bit... Can't start reviewing as the one book I wanted to review had been removed. The others' are not really in my interest category.
Talk soon!
Tineke

ButterscotchCherrie
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 33
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: I Ging
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 17 May 2018, 07:07

tintinkie wrote:
16 May 2018, 15:06
Hi all,
I am from Belgium and was wonderingen if you guys ever won or bought an Amazon gift voucher? I am not able to leave a review untill I pay to read a book. But no payment works for me...
I am hoping that I can buy a voucher and that it will work!
Thanks for posting about the possibility of a book not able to download when outside the US. Sucks a bit... Can't start reviewing as the one book I wanted to review had been removed. The others' are not really in my interest category.
Talk soon!
Tineke
Hello and welcome! I live in Austria and while I had one Kindle Gift review book that worked, I also wanted to review one that didn't. Especially after reading about others' similar experiences (they related that filling in the country on the Amazon profile did not work, for example), I avoid books that are only available in the Kindle Gift format. Most are .pdf anyway?
My main Amazon account is on amazon.de; gift vouchers from amazon.com don't work at all. I opened an account on amazon.com with a different email address and have been able to buy things with the vouchers. I guess it might even be possible to get Kindle books and read them in the reading app or cloud reader? Otherwise, I just have to wait for things to be shipped from the States! Good luck.

Espie
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 41
Currently Reading: Reconciled
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Espie » 29 May 2018, 20:39

Helen_Combe wrote:
22 Apr 2018, 15:08
jvez wrote:
22 Apr 2018, 15:01
Helen_Combe wrote:
22 Apr 2018, 14:57

That happened to me a second time. I contacted support both times and the penalty was removed both times.
They haven't removed mine yet. I messaged the support days ago, and I received a reply saying the message was forwarded to Scott. But there's no changes in my scores yet. May I ask how long did it take for the support team to remove your penalties? Should I wait a couple more days? It's just sad I can't advance in levels because of this Amazon country restrictions thing. And I even wanted to read those books I can't download.
Mine was done pretty quickly, possibly because I got myself noticed by posting my woes in all the wrong places :doh: I agree that it’s frustrating that a non downloadable book results in you having to work harder than anybody else to get yourself back on track. I wouldn’t have thought that there was any harm in sending a reminder.
Thank you for starting this thread and for your helpful suggestions.

I also encountered the same hiccup when attempting to download 2 free books for review, which subsequently turned out to be not available in my country even when using both the "click the link" and "use the code" options. This was odd because there was no prior indication that such is so, unlike what I read in at least 3 other books in the "available for review" list's description which had the (missing) warning. As suggested, I also tried updating my Amazon.com profile with my country location but that didn't sort the issue either (I was about to enter my full residential address but privacy considerations made me choose not to as the information seemed to be visible publicly for everyone and apparently not just Amazon or OBC to view). Using the gift code in the amazon.com.au site also didn't work. I, too, got a penalty (a whopping negative 15 points!) for low percentage of completed reviews.I would have considered going on a "review marathon" to change my score but that wouldn't alter the need for more fairness to reviewers caught in the country-specific download restrictions.

I know that Scott encourages all of us to pitch in identifying areas for improvement. The "Reviewer Score" page also says we should contact him for any queries about the scores or related information. I, thus, sent him a message but am yet to receive a response (and still nothing has changed in my scores) although it's already beyond the 72-hour turnaround time for an answer that I was made to expect. I was about to send another private message through the "Contact Us" facility but it says there that posts in this "Public Suggestion Box" forum will facilitate a more speedy response; thus, I'm now obliged to write this despite my initial intention to avoid doing so.

May I know how you initially communicated to the support team?
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

ButterscotchCherrie
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 33
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: I Ging
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 30 May 2018, 02:14

If you saw some books with a warning, that is an improvement and a start. On the basis of Helen's experience, for example, it seems your penalty will be removed eventually. I understand it's frustrating to wait for this; you may choose to review other books while waiting. That's your call, of course!

Espie
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 41
Currently Reading: Reconciled
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Espie » 31 May 2018, 18:08

ButterscotchCherrie wrote:
30 May 2018, 02:14
If you saw some books with a warning, that is an improvement and a start. On the basis of Helen's experience, for example, it seems your penalty will be removed eventually. I understand it's frustrating to wait for this; you may choose to review other books while waiting. That's your call, of course!
I agree. I just hope that it's consistently indicated in the book where such is appropriate.

I'm certainly looking forward to the outcome of my enquiry. Although it's been more than 72hours and already nearly a week since I lodged it, Helen's case is a good indication it'll be sorted eventually. I think I'd follow up again shortly using another facility this time as I'm unsure which one worked for her, which I haven't done yet.

Thank you for your suggestion. Much appreciated. I am on another book for review right now and was considering a review marathon to improve my completion percentage. That won't change the need to address areas for improvement, though; Scott himself encourages feedback so I hope what I'm doing works.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Public Suggestion Box”