Not Available In Your Country

(Formerly the "Support, Feedback and Forum Announcements" forum.)
Please help us make Online Book Club even better! Please post suggestions, feedback and ideas for new features. Wild brainstorming and potentially 'crazy ideas' are super-strongly encouraged! :)

For new members (or old members who run into an issue), please make a post in this forum asking any questions you have about using the site and how it works that are not answered in the FAQ. Not only are we happy help you, but also we can use your feedback to make the site better for tomorrow's new member! A lot of the instructions throughout the site and answers in the FAQ are there because someone else pointed out that it wasn't clear before.

---

IMPORTANT: The Public Suggestion Box is NOT for discussing issues with the Review Team. If you are a reviewer and need help, please first check the Review Team Page and then if you still need help use the Review Team Support Forum. If you are an author and need help, please first check the Author Dashboard and if that does not resolve your issue use the private contact form. For reference, there is a contact link on every page of the website.

---

To ensure the above procedures are used, posts by new members in the Suggestion Box will be held for moderation.

There are over 240,000 members at OnlineBookClub.org. Following the proper procedures to get help or make suggestions actually helps us help you much faster.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss issues related to the Review Team in the Public Suggestion Box. If you have an issue or question related to the review Team, please check either the Author Dashboard (if you are an author or publisher), or check the Review Team Page (if you are a reviewer).
Helen_Combe
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 148
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: power corrupts by nigel ruddin
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Not Available In Your Country

Post by Helen_Combe » 23 Mar 2018, 07:56

Hello, is it possible to receive more clarification on the subject of paid review books not being available outside of the US please?

I switched my Amazon settings to .com and tried to download a paid review, but it wasn’t available in my country, so was listed in my history as incomplete.
I then received an email, encouraging me to review a book, but that also wasn’t available in my country, so also got listed in my history as incomplete.

Then I received a completion penalty which bumped me down the ladder from level two to one.

I’ve since noticed that the penalty has been removed, so can I ask for the following clarification please?

1. When reviewers receive a penalty because the book wasn’t available in their country, does the penalty get removed anyway or did mine get removed because I complained?

2. Can the system be amended so that people who are unable to download a book because it’s not available in their country don’t get this penalty in the first place?

3. What percentage of the paid reviews are available to people outside of the US?

4. Can the clarification be added to the guidelines please? There are others like me who have had a similar experience.

Thank you
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.

Misael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael.html
Latest Review: This Nearly Was Mine: A Novel by Nancy Farkas

Post by Misael » 01 Apr 2018, 03:37

I did not know that you get a penalty when your selected book was not available outside the U.S. So probably that was the reason my total points decreased?

Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe » 01 Apr 2018, 03:53

Misael wrote:
01 Apr 2018, 03:37
I did not know that you get a penalty when your selected book was not available outside the U.S. So probably that was the reason my total points decreased?
If you had a penalty, you’ll see it on your review score card.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.

ButterscotchCherrie
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 51
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Mindfulness and Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: Finding Paris A Menior of Hope by Paris Broker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 01 Apr 2018, 15:38

I'd also like to say that it would be helpful to know if a Kindle Gift is available in my region or not before accepting the review opportunity. Changing to amazon.com doesn't help - I can only get Kindle editions that have been made available in my region.

Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe » 02 Apr 2018, 07:42

I tried to download The Expansion. The notes said to ‘check that it is available on kindle in your country’. I did check, it’s on Amazon.co.uk with a kindle version, yet I still couldn’t redeem the kindle gift voucher. Are the vouchers the part of the transaction that are country specific rather than the book itself?

CatInTheHat
Bookshelves Moderator
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 88
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 98
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading: Champions of Time
Bookshelf Size: 467
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catinthehat.html
Latest Review: Lunch Money by Roger M. Cullen
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by CatInTheHat » 02 Apr 2018, 07:49

Helen_Combe wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 07:42
I tried to download The Expansion. The notes said to ‘check that it is available on kindle in your country’. I did check, it’s on Amazon.co.uk with a kindle version, yet I still couldn’t redeem the kindle gift voucher. Are the vouchers the part of the transaction that are country specific rather than the book itself?
I'm pretty sure it has to come through Amazon's U.S. site.
Life without a good book is something the CatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Grateful to get the opportunity to explore new books with those in the OBC.

Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe » 02 Apr 2018, 07:52

CatInTheHat wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 07:49
Helen_Combe wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 07:42
I'm pretty sure it has to come through Amazon's U.S. site.
In that case, would it be possible to change the warning about checking to to see if it’s on kindle in my country as it’s misleading.
I’m trying not to fill my history with unfinished books :lol:

jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez » 22 Apr 2018, 14:51

I'm having this same problem :( I now have a negative 11 on my scoreboard because I have 2 books I couldn't download. It's not like I didn't want to read them. I also followed the instruction of indicating address in amazon, but nothing changed. I did message the support but until now I am yet to receive a clear reply for a solution. I did notice that the penalty disappeared once when my average 'unfinished books' was less than 30%. But now that I failed to download another book, the penalty's back again.

Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe » 22 Apr 2018, 14:57

jvez wrote:
22 Apr 2018, 14:51
I'm having this same problem :( I now have a negative 11 on my scoreboard because I have 2 books I couldn't download. It's not like I didn't want to read them. I also followed the instruction of indicating address in amazon, but nothing changed. I did message the support but until now I am yet to receive a clear reply for a solution. I did notice that the penalty disappeared once when my average 'unfinished books' was less than 30%. But now that I failed to download another book, the penalty's back again.
That happened to me a second time. I contacted support both times and the penalty was removed both times.

jvez
Currently Reading:

Post by jvez » 22 Apr 2018, 15:01

Helen_Combe wrote:
22 Apr 2018, 14:57
jvez wrote:
That happened to me a second time. I contacted support both times and the penalty was removed both times.
They haven't removed mine yet. I messaged the support days ago, and I received a reply saying the message was forwarded to Scott. But there's no changes in my scores yet. May I ask how long did it take for the support team to remove your penalties? Should I wait a couple more days? It's just sad I can't advance in levels because of this Amazon country restrictions thing. And I even wanted to read those books I can't download.

Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe » 22 Apr 2018, 15:08

jvez wrote:
22 Apr 2018, 15:01
Helen_Combe wrote:
jvez wrote:
They haven't removed mine yet. I messaged the support days ago, and I received a reply saying the message was forwarded to Scott. But there's no changes in my scores yet. May I ask how long did it take for the support team to remove your penalties? Should I wait a couple more days? It's just sad I can't advance in levels because of this Amazon country restrictions thing. And I even wanted to read those books I can't download.
Mine was done pretty quickly, possibly because I got myself noticed by posting my woes in all the wrong places :doh: I agree that it’s frustrating that a non downloadable book results in you having to work harder than anybody else to get yourself back on track. I wouldn’t have thought that there was any harm in sending a reminder.

Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe » 22 Apr 2018, 15:08

Helen_Combe wrote:
22 Apr 2018, 15:08
jvez wrote:
Helen_Combe wrote:

Mine was done pretty quickly, possibly because I got myself noticed by posting my woes in all the wrong places :doh: I agree that it’s frustrating that a non downloadable book results in you having to work harder than anybody else to get yourself back on track.
I wouldn’t have thought that there would be any harm in sending a reminder.

jvez
Currently Reading:

Post by jvez » 22 Apr 2018, 15:13

Helen_Combe wrote:
22 Apr 2018, 15:08
jvez wrote:
Helen_Combe wrote:

Mine was done pretty quickly, possibly because I got myself noticed by posting my woes in all the wrong places :doh: I agree that it’s frustrating that a non downloadable book results in you having to work harder than anybody else to get yourself back on track. I wouldn’t have thought that there was any harm in sending a reminder.
I see :) I do hope they see my post here too then. It's really frustrating since it's not really our fault. And yes, they could have at least mentioned in the Guidelines the effect of not being able to download a book. I've recently done a book marathon just to lower my unfinished books average. Problem is, for some reason again, although I've already received reviews from editors, my reviews are still stuck on Pending. I guess I'll just wait for either Scott to message me, or for my recent reviews to be published.

rusalka
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rusalka.html
Latest Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly

Post by rusalka » 30 Apr 2018, 07:09

I see you're based in the UK; I am, too, and the fact that 'not available outside of US' is a thing is absolutely killing me. :lol2:

I like your question about what percentage of paid reviews []is[/i] available for us. Did you ever find that out at all? Currently one of my issues with that is that the only leftover books that i can get paid for at my level are part of an appealing series that I wouldn't even want to read again if someone offered me $50 for it, let alone 5. :roll2: So I'm working like hell to get out of level 1 purgatory.

Good luck on your way to getting your penalty removed! :)

Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe » 30 Apr 2018, 07:17

rusalka wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 07:09
I see you're based in the UK; I am, too, and the fact that 'not available outside of US' is a thing is absolutely killing me. :lol2:

I like your question about what percentage of paid reviews []is[/i] available for us. Did you ever find that out at all? Currently one of my issues with that is that the only leftover books that i can get paid for at my level are part of an appealing series that I wouldn't even want to read again if someone offered me $50 for it, let alone 5. :roll2: So I'm working like hell to get out of level 1 purgatory.

Good luck on your way to getting your penalty removed! :)
My penalty has been removed, thank you. I didn’t get a reply on the percentages, but once you get out of level 1, it improves considerably. Good luck :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Public Suggestion Box”