Bookshelves and its benefits

(Formerly the "Support, Feedback and Forum Announcements" forum.)
Please help us make Online Book Club even better! Please post suggestions, feedback and ideas for new features. Wild brainstorming and potentially 'crazy ideas' are super-strongly encouraged! :)

For new members (or old members who run into an issue), please make a post in this forum asking any questions you have about using the site and how it works that are not answered in the FAQ. Not only are we happy help you, but also we can use your feedback to make the site better for tomorrow's new member! A lot of the instructions throughout the site and answers in the FAQ are there because someone else pointed out that it wasn't clear before.

---

IMPORTANT: The Public Suggestion Box is NOT for discussing issues with the Review Team. If you are a reviewer and need help, please first check the Review Team Page and then if you still need help use the Review Team Support Forum. If you are an author and need help, please first check the Author Dashboard and if that does not resolve your issue use the private contact form. For reference, there is a contact link on every page of the website.

---

To ensure the above procedures are used, posts by new members in the Suggestion Box will be held for moderation.

There are over 240,000 members at OnlineBookClub.org. Following the proper procedures to get help or make suggestions actually helps us help you much faster.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss issues related to the Review Team in the Public Suggestion Box. If you have an issue or question related to the review Team, please check either the Author Dashboard (if you are an author or publisher), or check the Review Team Page (if you are a reviewer).
Emmanuel Michael
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-michael.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Bookshelves and its benefits

Post by Emmanuel Michael » 17 Mar 2018, 15:54

The bookshelf is a free app that makes someone keep record of books he/she has read, wants to read or is currently reading; that is good but if the bookshelf can also serve another purpose. The bookshelf can have another feature that can allow the user to view and read the books while online.

CatInTheHat
Bookshelves Moderator
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 88
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 98
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading: Champions of Time
Bookshelf Size: 467
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catinthehat.html
Latest Review: Lunch Money by Roger M. Cullen
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by CatInTheHat » 17 Mar 2018, 16:19

Emmanuel Michael wrote:
17 Mar 2018, 15:54
The bookshelf is a free app that makes someone keep record of books he/she has read, wants to read or is currently reading; that is good but if the bookshelf can also serve another purpose. The bookshelf can have another feature that can allow the user to view and read the books while online.
When you click on a book on the bookshelf, it will usually give you a purchase link. Usually to Amazon, sometimes to Barnes & Noble. I know with Amazon, after purchasing the book, that you can open up the books in the Kindle app on your computer.
Life without a good book is something the CatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Grateful to get the opportunity to explore new books with those in the OBC.

aeblackwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by aeblackwell » 19 Mar 2018, 19:24

Has anyone had issues putting book length information into bookshelves?
It has a place for word count not page number and when I tried to add a page number count it says the entire novel is 500 words not 448 pages. Page count would certainly be more helpful as that is what is reported by the publishers.

Clinical1
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 54
Currently Reading: Effective Leaders and Leadership
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clinical1.html
Latest Review: Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Clinical1 » 22 Mar 2018, 17:52

I am loving the bookshelf for Want to Read. BOTD gives me reading ideas, but I can't read a book per day. It takes me sometimes a week to read a book, then do a review. If something is interesting, I can put it on this shelf and read it later.
Since I have Kindle Unlimited, this is really helpful.

Irene C
2018 Reading Goal: 13
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 246
Currently Reading: The Orphan Master
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C » 23 Mar 2018, 18:05

aeblackwell wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 19:24
Has anyone had issues putting book length information into bookshelves?
It has a place for word count not page number and when I tried to add a page number count it says the entire novel is 500 words not 448 pages. Page count would certainly be more helpful as that is what is reported by the publishers.
Yes, bookshelves really should have a line to report page count.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton

Jamasenu
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1548
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 125603

Post by Jamasenu » 29 Mar 2018, 00:44

Emmanuel Michael wrote:
I don't wish to sit in front of a computer to enjoy a book. I would like to move around. Most of the time, I'm driving and so I listen to audiobooks. If you have reader apps; Ipad, kindle and so forth, there is no reason that you can't read them online but through your application.

crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 » 11 Apr 2018, 21:05

This is exactly what I am thinking. It would be so convenient and effortless. More persons would be reading more books.

lbhatters
2018 Reading Goal: 120
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters » 20 Apr 2018, 08:31

Emmanuel Michael wrote:
I wish there was a choice of "Not interested in Reading" but not trashing at the same time. I don't necessarily want to trash a book I just don't want to read. It just means never in the near future, but it's not worthy to go in a trash can. :animals-fishblue: :character-sebastian:
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh

Return to “Public Suggestion Box”