About BOTD Entries

(Formerly the "Support, Feedback and Forum Announcements" forum.)
Please help us make Online Book Club even better! Please post suggestions, feedback and ideas for new features. Wild brainstorming and potentially 'crazy ideas' are super-strongly encouraged! :)

For new members (or old members who run into an issue), please make a post in this forum asking any questions you have about using the site and how it works that are not answered in the FAQ. Not only are we happy help you, but also we can use your feedback to make the site better for tomorrow's new member! A lot of the instructions throughout the site and answers in the FAQ are there because someone else pointed out that it wasn't clear before.

---

IMPORTANT: The Public Suggestion Box is NOT for discussing issues with the Review Team. If you are a reviewer and need help, please first check the Review Team Page and then if you still need help use the Review Team Support Forum. If you are an author and need help, please first check the Author Dashboard and if that does not resolve your issue use the private contact form. For reference, there is a contact link on every page of the website.

---

To ensure the above procedures are used, posts by new members in the Suggestion Box will be held for moderation.

There are over 240,000 members at OnlineBookClub.org. Following the proper procedures to get help or make suggestions actually helps us help you much faster.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss issues related to the Review Team in the Public Suggestion Box. If you have an issue or question related to the review Team, please check either the Author Dashboard (if you are an author or publisher), or check the Review Team Page (if you are a reviewer).
MsTri
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 133
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 15362">The Prodigal Son</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Prey to the Lord by Frank Catanzano
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

About BOTD Entries

Post by MsTri » 13 Jan 2018, 11:44

Two things:

One, I think we should have some way of quickly addressing mistakes made insofar as our BotD entries. For instance, if we DID Tweet a BotD but get disqualified because the moderator couldn't find it, we should be able to upload a screenshot of the tweet or something, since moderators can and DO make errors.

Two - and this is the biggest thing - if we DO get disqualified, perhaps we shouldn't get reset all the way to "0". How about just losing either one entry (for the one that was disqualified) or, at worst, the whole days' worth of entries (which can be anywhere between 1 and 7)? It takes about a month to get 200 entries, so to lose them ALL seems pretty unfair, and makes it difficult to want to recommend the site to others. Also, if an entry is disqualified for the First Ten reviews, it doesn't reset to "0", it just removes that one entry; doing the same for BotD would not only be fair, but also add balance across the board for the many activities here.

CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 6
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 76
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 183
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Survive The Fall by Julia Bright
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo » 21 Jan 2018, 23:11

I agree with this 100%. A few weeks ago I stopped doing the BOTD stuff for a while because I was so disgusted with losing everything just because a moderator didn’t like my Facebook comment or couldn’t find the tweet.

ButterscotchCherrie
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 33
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: I Ging
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 23 Jan 2018, 08:07

Agreed. It seems disproportionate to lose maybe hundreds of entries because of a single disqualified one.

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
2017 Reading Goal: 52
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: A-Z of Animal Limericks by Kate Condon

Post by bookowlie » 23 Jan 2018, 16:55

I didn't even realize your entries get set back to 0 if one gets disqualified. I agree it's disproportionate, but I assume it's done this way to be a stronger deterrent than just getting set back one day's entries.
"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - Louisa May Alcott

BookishCreature
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 244
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: Belly Rubs and Butt Scratches How My Dogs Love Saved My Life by N. G. Menton

Post by BookishCreature » 23 Jan 2018, 17:38

I agree that it would be nice to be able to appeal disqualifications. I actually just had to get in touch with the mods because my comments on LinkedIn were being disqualified. For some reason, the mod(s) couldn't see them. Still not sure why that happened and it seems to be fixed now, but it was a little disheartening.

gali
Site Admin
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 60
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Cat Who Blew the Whistle
Bookshelf Size: 1807
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali » 24 Jan 2018, 00:05

BookishCreature wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 17:38
I agree that it would be nice to be able to appeal disqualifications. I actually just had to get in touch with the mods because my comments on LinkedIn were being disqualified. For some reason, the mod(s) couldn't see them. Still not sure why that happened and it seems to be fixed now, but it was a little disheartening.
They couldn't be seen because of the private setting, and I believe I helped you with that.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

BookishCreature
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 244
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: Belly Rubs and Butt Scratches How My Dogs Love Saved My Life by N. G. Menton

Post by BookishCreature » 24 Jan 2018, 12:15

gali wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 00:05
BookishCreature wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 17:38
They couldn't be seen because of the private setting, and I believe I helped you with that.
You did, and I appreciate that!

Lulwa
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Lulwa » 28 Jan 2018, 10:50

I feel the same way. Iv been coming daily since about 5 months. And got disqualified with over 300 carryovers. I usualy have only 2 carryovers. But since im like 10 participants away from winning..!i decided to write a short 2 line review in which i got disqualified for as a vague review.. il be discontinuing with this site.

MsTri
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 15362">The Prodigal Son</a>

Post by MsTri » 02 Feb 2018, 03:44

Thanks for the support, everyone! I just hope the 'Powers That Be' agree and implement such a change.

@bookowlie, while I agree about the deterrent aspect, some entries get disqualified just because a moderator didn't feel it was "unique" enough or whatever; why should something so obviously subjective have such a big impact? Perhaps there should also be guidelines here; as a reviewer, my reviews, author blurbs, and First Ten entries all specify a length that they must be, be it words or sentences, so adding such a requirement for the review, facebook, and linkedin entries - for instance, "must be three sentences, all mentioning something specific about the book and/or review" - would, again, keep things balanced and uniform on the site.

gali
Site Admin

Post by gali » 02 Feb 2018, 04:29

MsTri wrote:
02 Feb 2018, 03:44
Thanks for the support, everyone! I just hope the 'Powers That Be' agree and implement such a change.

@bookowlie, while I agree about the deterrent aspect, some entries get disqualified just because a moderator didn't feel it was "unique" enough or whatever; why should something so obviously subjective have such a big impact? Perhaps there should also be guidelines here; as a reviewer, my reviews, author blurbs, and First Ten entries all specify a length that they must be, be it words or sentences, so adding such a requirement for the review, facebook, and linkedin entries - for instance, "must be three sentences, all mentioning something specific about the book and/or review" - would, again, keep things balanced and uniform on the site.
The Giveaway page does specify that the comments should be unique to the book/review, depending on where the comments are posted.
Your comment must be meaningful and demonstrate you actually read the review. Otherwise, you will be disqualified.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

ButterscotchCherrie
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 33
Currently Reading: I Ging
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 02 Feb 2018, 06:23

So, I just had an entry disqualified because a Pinterest entry was not found. I have edited the social media address ... but must stress that it had been correct the day before and apparently, weirdly, the day after. So it seems that the correct address I had entered on the website lapsed into an incorrect address temporarily through no action or omission of my own. How can the disqualification have "deterrent" value in the face of some glitch I still don't understand?

I don't care that much about raffle entries but am still at a stage where the social media sharing points make a difference. I am of course happy to support authors through social media sharing. But the situation here is one where the author "adored" my comment on Facebook, and that same comment is "disqualified" in connection with a problem with Pinterest not caused by me? This does not seem proportionate. Thank you for ensuring fairness in this matter!

MsTri

Post by MsTri » 02 Feb 2018, 11:29

gali wrote:
02 Feb 2018, 04:29
MsTri wrote:
02 Feb 2018, 03:44

The Giveaway page does specify that the comments should be unique to the book/review, depending on where the comments are posted.
Your comment must be meaningful and demonstrate you actually read the review. Otherwise, you will be disqualified.
And still, some have been disqualified because even though they've fulfilled those "requirements", the comment was too brief. I still think specifics work best, especially if such an inordinate reprimand will occur if the requirements aren't fulfilled. And again, there's a lot that's left up to the moderator's subjective judgement. Why should somebody lose 300 or more entries that took over a month to accumulate because a mod is being overly stringent?

Alimc1030
Currently Reading: The Bellringer
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alimc1030.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by Alimc1030 » 04 Feb 2018, 17:28

I have been doing the book of the day for months now, I haven't changed anything in my settings and it has just been recent that they started disqualifying my entries. Do they ever explain as to why they are disqualified?

gali
Site Admin

Post by gali » 05 Feb 2018, 00:26

Alimc1030 wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 17:28
I have been doing the book of the day for months now, I haven't changed anything in my settings and it has just been recent that they started disqualifying my entries. Do they ever explain as to why they are disqualified?
You should have got an email stating the reasons.

Alimc1030
Currently Reading: The Bellringer
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alimc1030.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by Alimc1030 » 05 Feb 2018, 21:44

gali wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 00:26
Alimc1030 wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 17:28
You should have got an email stating the reasons.
I saw that after I posted. I have been disqualified twice and have only received an email for the most recent one. It looks like my link for Pinterest was broke and I have fixed it but I don't understand what could have changed in all of that time for my link to have become broken.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box”