Suggestion for change in review scoring

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Suggestion for change in review scoring

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Hello All.

Currently, when the reviewer score is calculated, the system considers the current editorial review score to be the average of all review scores to date. As a result, this considers the score for all reviews equally, regardless of how long ago that review was.

If however, there was a look-back similar to the popularity score for the BOTD (where the editorial review score is the average of the most recent 4-5 reviews), the system would be much more reflective of the current performance of the reviewer. This would thus enable a reviewer who has improved dramatically and is now consistently scoring well to have a good score without a couple of bad scores from the beginning weighing them down. Conversely, it might also ensure that reviewers take special care before submitting a review because it is going to be much more relevant. This might prevent complacency because of previous performances.

Of course, I do not know the reasons for the current system, so it is possible that this suggestion is unfeasible or counterproductive. This is just a suggestion that I hope will make the community better. What do you all think?
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Doaa Wael »

yes I think taking the last couple of reviews 10 for example, is a good idea, but anyway, if you have a lot of good reviews towards the end, the bad ones in the beginning don't really affect ur score significantly
Imagination Trumps Reality.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

It is not just about how much the old scores affect the current level. Whether that is beneficial or not, the fact remains that judging based on outdated scores is not ideal.

Of course, if there are other design considerations in play, that would be a major factor as well.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Doaa Wael wrote:yes I think taking the last couple of reviews 10 for example, is a good idea, but anyway, if you have a lot of good reviews towards the end, the bad ones in the beginning don't really affect ur score significantly
I believe it does. I have a very low scoring review (not sure why it even ended up being published) from ages ago that is "dragging down" my average. I've been hitting 80s and 90s recently and this poor review is still affecting my score.

Not sure if I 100% agree the formula should be changed though.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Gingerbo0ks wrote:
Doaa Wael wrote:yes I think taking the last couple of reviews 10 for example, is a good idea, but anyway, if you have a lot of good reviews towards the end, the bad ones in the beginning don't really affect ur score significantly
I believe it does. I have a very low scoring review (not sure why it even ended up being published) from ages ago that is "dragging down" my average. I've been hitting 80s and 90s recently and this poor review is still affecting my score.

Not sure if I 100% agree the formula should be changed though.
I WOULD like to see the formula changed somewhat, perhaps only encompassing the last 10 at the most. My last several reviews have been in the mid-90s, yet I can't seem to get above an average of mid-80s, due to a couple of scores several reviews ago. I'm honestly starting to despair that all these great numbers will ever budge me from where I've seemed to settle.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

MsTri wrote:I WOULD like to see the formula changed somewhat, perhaps only encompassing the last 10 at the most. My last several reviews have been in the mid-90s, yet I can't seem to get above an average of mid-80s, due to a couple of scores several reviews ago. I'm honestly starting to despair that all these great numbers will ever budge me from where I've seemed to settle.[/color]

Mid-80s is a great reviewer score! You should be proud of your work. If the old ones didn't count, then those who did well early on would be on the same footing as those who did not; that doesn't seem particularly "fair" either.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Your suggestion should probably be discussed privately with Scott rather than publically airing an issue related to your personal review scores.

That being said, I thought Scott changed the formula last year so that reviews prior to a certain timeframe were given a little less weight in the average score.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I'm kind of in the opposite boat. I've never been a consistent reviewer, and have gone months without doing a review. Ever since the formula changed for reviews it seems like I lost my previous scores, which is a shame because they were pretty good. Now it feels like I'm starting at the bottom again. But like I said, I've been inconsistent with the amount of reviews I do so I know I need to work on that.
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Post by va2016 »

Anirudh Badri wrote:Hello All.

Currently, when the reviewer score is calculated, the system considers the current editorial review score to be the average of all review scores to date. As a result, this considers the score for all reviews equally, regardless of how long ago that review was.

If however, there was a look-back similar to the popularity score for the BOTD (where the editorial review score is the average of the most recent 4-5 reviews), the system would be much more reflective of the current performance of the reviewer. This would thus enable a reviewer who has improved dramatically and is now consistently scoring well to have a good score without a couple of bad scores from the beginning weighing them down. Conversely, it might also ensure that reviewers take special care before submitting a review because it is going to be much more relevant. This might prevent complacency because of previous performances.

Of course, I do not know the reasons for the current system, so it is possible that this suggestion is unfeasible or counterproductive. This is just a suggestion that I hope will make the community better. What do you all think?
Totally agree! Suggest 10 or 15 reviews, as the count.

Thanks!

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”