UK Gift Card

(Formerly the "Support, Feedback and Forum Announcements" forum.)
Please help us make Online Book Club even better! Please post suggestions, feedback and ideas for new features. Wild brainstorming and potentially 'crazy ideas' are super-strongly encouraged! :)

For new members (or old members who run into an issue), please make a post in this forum asking any questions you have about using the site and how it works that are not answered in the FAQ. Not only are we happy help you, but also we can use your feedback to make the site better for tomorrow's new member! A lot of the instructions throughout the site and answers in the FAQ are there because someone else pointed out that it wasn't clear before.

---

IMPORTANT: The Public Suggestion Box is NOT for discussing issues with the Review Team. If you are a reviewer and need help, please first check the Review Team Page and then if you still need help use the Review Team Support Forum. If you are an author and need help, please first check the Author Dashboard and if that does not resolve your issue use the private contact form. For reference, there is a contact link on every page of the website.

---

To ensure the above procedures are used, posts by new members in the Suggestion Box will be held for moderation.

There are over 240,000 members at OnlineBookClub.org. Following the proper procedures to get help or make suggestions actually helps us help you much faster.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss issues related to the Review Team in the Public Suggestion Box. If you have an issue or question related to the review Team, please check either the Author Dashboard (if you are an author or publisher), or check the Review Team Page (if you are a reviewer).
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

UK Gift Card

Post by Gingerbo0ks » 20 Sep 2017, 07:24

Hello, I tried searching but couldn't find an answer.. I received the gift card for doing the first ten :) but the gift card is for .com which cannot be used on UK sites, has anyone else encountered this?
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel

gali
Site Admin
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 120
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Mine
Bookshelf Size: 1873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali » 20 Sep 2017, 07:58

The gift cards for the first ten are only for Amazon.com. It says so on the First Ten page.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Gingerbo0ks

Post by Gingerbo0ks » 20 Sep 2017, 14:21

Yeah I read that, but I didn't realise it couldn't be used at the sites ending .uk, .ie or anywhere else until I read it on the Amazon site. I just assumed it would be in USD and convert to GBP.
I guess that's the same for the daily giveaway too?
Ah well, I still enjoy the first ten.

Is there any plans to include gifts/prizes for those that use the site that aren't based in the USA?
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”

gali
Site Admin
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 120
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Mine
Bookshelf Size: 1873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali » 21 Sep 2017, 00:00

Gingerbo0ks wrote:Yeah I read that, but I didn't realise it couldn't be used at the sites ending .uk, .ie or anywhere else until I read it on the Amazon site. I just assumed it would be in USD and convert to GBP.

Is there any plans to include gifts/prizes for those that use the site that aren't based in the USA?
Yes, it is the same for the daily giveaway.

I don't think there are any plans to use sites that aren't based in the USA.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Wasif Ahmed
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 22
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed » 28 Sep 2017, 20:41

Gingerbo0ks wrote:Yeah I read that, but I didn't realise it couldn't be used at the sites ending .uk, .ie or anywhere else until I read it on the Amazon site. I just assumed it would be in USD and convert to GBP.

This may seem like a long and complex process but here is what i do with the gift cards i have earned. There is this site purse.io which converts giftcards in to Bitcoins you can later use those Bitcoins to buy something from Amazon.uk or convert the Bitcoins into cash. I live in India so it is Amazon.in here. I have used purse.io to convert the .com gift cards into Bitcoins and then purchase things from amazon.in. You should visit their site and read the FAQ. The site has been completely safe and satisfying for me. I have made around 10 or so transactions.

P.s. I hope I am not violating any rules by writing the site name. If i am doing so, i dont think this post should be removed as OBC has people from all over the world and they may need a solution for this problem as well.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.

Gingerbo0ks

Post by Gingerbo0ks » 01 Oct 2017, 10:04

That's really interesting. That could be useful to other users of the site too.
I've used the card already on the US site, will see if I get stung with any customs charges.

Vickie Noel
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 295
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Altered Reality by Joel Knox
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel » 21 Oct 2017, 21:25

Wasif Ahmed wrote:

This may seem like a long and complex process but here is what i do with the gift cards i have earned. There is this site purse.io which converts giftcards in to Bitcoins you can later use those Bitcoins to buy something from Amazon.uk or convert the Bitcoins into cash. I live in India so it is Amazon.in here. I have used purse.io to convert the .com gift cards into Bitcoins and then purchase things from amazon.in. You should visit their site and read the FAQ. The site has been completely safe and satisfying for me. I have made around 10 or so transactions.

P.s. I hope I am not violating any rules by writing the site name. If i am doing so, i dont think this post should be removed as OBC has people from all over the world and they may need a solution for this problem as well.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm actually interested in converting my gift card to cash for direct transfer (hope it's not a problem?) Does this follow the same process of converting to bitcoins first or are there other ways of doing so?
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel

Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass » 17 Nov 2017, 05:25

Gingerbo0ks wrote:Hello, I tried searching but couldn't find an answer.. I received the gift card for doing the first ten :) but the gift card is for .com which cannot be used on UK sites, has anyone else encountered this?
I'm UK based too, and if I'm drawn out (or whatever happens!) please pass my reward onto the next person who can use it :wink:
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Gingerbo0ks

Post by Gingerbo0ks » 17 Nov 2017, 14:23

You can still use it @lincolnshirelass you just have to use the American site and pay postage :)

CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 6
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 103
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 183
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: An Uncommon Folk Rhapsody by C.J. Heigelmann
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo » 17 Nov 2017, 14:53

I'm surprised to hear all these issues with people not living in the United States. Based on a lot of what I read on this site, I assumed the majority of people are not from the US.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box”