Private Blurb?

(Formerly the "Support, Feedback and Forum Announcements" forum.)
Please help us make Online Book Club even better! Please post suggestions, feedback and ideas for new features. Wild brainstorming and potentially 'crazy ideas' are super-strongly encouraged! :)

For new members (or old members who run into an issue), please make a post in this forum asking any questions you have about using the site and how it works that are not answered in the FAQ. Not only are we happy help you, but also we can use your feedback to make the site better for tomorrow's new member! A lot of the instructions throughout the site and answers in the FAQ are there because someone else pointed out that it wasn't clear before.

---

IMPORTANT: The Public Suggestion Box is NOT for discussing issues with the Review Team. If you are a reviewer and need help, please first check the Review Team Page and then if you still need help use the Review Team Support Forum. If you are an author and need help, please first check the Author Dashboard and if that does not resolve your issue use the private contact form. For reference, there is a contact link on every page of the website.

---

To ensure the above procedures are used, posts by new members in the Suggestion Box will be held for moderation.

There are over 240,000 members at OnlineBookClub.org. Following the proper procedures to get help or make suggestions actually helps us help you much faster.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss issues related to the Review Team in the Public Suggestion Box. If you have an issue or question related to the review Team, please check either the Author Dashboard (if you are an author or publisher), or check the Review Team Page (if you are a reviewer).
JanieReads
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janiereads.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Private Blurb?

Post by JanieReads » 22 Jun 2017, 19:06

I am new to the private review team! I have written three reviews and I have questions about them. It says in the rules not to post about the private review team but I have tried several times to "contact" someone and it hasn't come to anything.

One review was published, yay! Then my other one said "not published but counted as complete" for about a week. And then it changed to "published". Is this usual? I'm wondering what happened there.

My main question is about my third review. I submitted it and it has said "pending" for a week and 3 days. I read on the rules and guidelines that it may not be sent to the reviewers if it requires a private blurb. I have no idea what that is or where to do it. Is that potentially the reason it hasn't been reviewed yet? Is there a way to tell if a review will require a private blurb?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks so much

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 322
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: Norman by Michelle Olson

Post by bookowlie » 22 Jun 2017, 19:47

Hi JanieReads and welcome to the forums! I will try my best to answer your questions -

1) The "not published but counted as complete" that changed to "published" status - When a book is submitted for review, the authors have the option to automatically have the review "not published," either at all or if the rating is lower than a specific number. Sometimes they just want private feedback. In the case of your review, it sounds like the author chose an automatic option so your review immediately showed that "not published" status. Once the author received and read the review, he/she probably decided to have it published. For example, maybe he/she initially had an automatic option to not have the review published if the rating was less than 4 stars. Maybe your review was very complimentary (even with a lower rating), so he/she decided to allow it to be published.

2) The pending review - Is this a paid review? All paid reviews require an ending blurb that gets sent to the author for approval. It's basically to show proof that you read the book. There are instructions on the Review Team page about how to write the ending blurb. For paid reviews, the author's approval of the ending blurb is the first step in the review approval process. If the author doesn't respond within a week, then you would click on the link for that review's blurb on your Review History page and request that Scott close/approve the blurb.

If the review is a paid review, after you submit the review, go back to the link where you submitted the review. You will check the appropriate box for the rating and write the ending blurb in the box provided below the rating choices. If this was a paid review and you didn't do this already, write an ending blurb (based on the guidelines) and do it as soon as possible. If you have further questions, let me know.
"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - Louisa May Alcott

JanieReads
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janiereads.html

Post by JanieReads » 22 Jun 2017, 21:05

bookowlie wrote:Hi JanieReads and welcome to the forums! I will try my best to answer your questions -

1) The "not published but counted as complete" that changed to "published" status - When a book is submitted for review, the authors have the option to automatically have the review "not published," either at all or if the rating is lower than a specific number. Sometimes they just want private feedback. In the case of your review, it sounds like the author chose an automatic option so your review immediately showed that "not published" status. Once the author received and read the review, he/she probably decided to have it published. For example, maybe he/she initially had an automatic option to not have the review published if the rating was less than 4 stars. Maybe your review was very complimentary (even with a lower rating), so he/she decided to allow it to be published.

2) The pending review - Is this a paid review? All paid reviews require an ending blurb that gets sent to the author for approval. It's basically to show proof that you read the book. There are instructions on the Review Team page about how to write the ending blurb. For paid reviews, the author's approval of the ending blurb is the first step in the review approval process. If the author doesn't respond within a week, then you would click on the link for that review's blurb on your Review History page and request that Scott close/approve the blurb.

If the review is a paid review, after you submit the review, go back to the link where you submitted the review. You will check the appropriate box for the rating and write the ending blurb in the box provided below the rating choices. If this was a paid review and you didn't do this already, write an ending blurb (based on the guidelines) and do it as soon as possible. If you have further questions, let me know.
It was a "free book" review, not paid! I didn't have an option for a blurb when I submitted my final rating. Is it usual for the reviews to take longer than a week to get approved if I'm not missing anything? Thank you so much for helping!

gali
Site Admin
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 121
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Mine
Bookshelf Size: 1873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali » 22 Jun 2017, 21:54

JanieReads wrote:
bookowlie wrote:Hi JanieReads and welcome to the forums! I will try my best to answer your questions -

It was a "free book" review, not paid! I didn't have an option for a blurb when I submitted my final rating. Is it usual for the reviews to take longer than a week to get approved if I'm not missing anything? Thank you so much for helping!
It takes around a week or so. Try to recheck your score. If the review is still pending, you should privately contact Scott via the Contact page. Thank you.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by topdan30 » 21 Aug 2018, 04:10

My paid review has been showing "payment approved but pending" for 2 week plus now. What can be wrong? Or does it take longer to be paid? i need answers please.

bookowlie
Currently Reading:

Post by bookowlie » 21 Aug 2018, 11:32

topdan30 wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 04:10
My paid review has been showing "payment approved but pending" for 2 week plus now. What can be wrong? Or does it take longer to be paid? i need answers please.
That's a very long time for the "payment approved but pending" status. If you haven't been paid within approximately one week of seeing the payment approved status, you should contact Scott through the Contact form.
"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - Louisa May Alcott

topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by topdan30 » 21 Aug 2018, 11:41

bookowlie wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 11:32
topdan30 wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 04:10
That's a very long time for the "payment approved but pending" status. If you haven't been paid within approximately one week of seeing the payment approved status, you should contact Scott through the Contact form.
I just made you of the contact now. Some of my paid review is even up to a month now and still at "payment approved but pending"

bookowlie
Currently Reading:

Post by bookowlie » 21 Aug 2018, 12:01

That's odd. Do you have your Paypal account listed under your preferences? That's how the money is sent so you need to make sure you have that filled out.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box”