Junior Editors

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Junior Editors

Post by kandscreeley »

I know the editors are often overworked and behind. I keep wondering if there is a way to help them. I was wondering if there would be a way to have junior editors. Maybe they would be at a slightly lower level than 6. I was wondering if maybe they could only grade certain reviews? Perhaps maybe only grade volunteer reviews? Just a thought to try to help out.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

I think this is a great idea, although I probably wouldn't want the junior editors' scores affecting my editorial score in any way...
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I think there are some issues with this proposal. A high proportion of reviews are from new reviewers. These reviews are sometimes more difficult to evaluate due to numerous errors, awkward phrasing, etc. I don't know if this would be a good fit for a "junior" editor. To be clear, I am not saying all new reviewers write poorly. I just think there are many people who write one or two reviews that get rejected and then they leave the site.

Another issue is related to my previous comment that I believe many reviews are from first or second-time reviewers. A minimum number of monthly reviews is required for each editor to continue to get certain perks. If your suggestion is implemented, the result might be that many of the current editors would not be able to stay above the minimum. The monthly minimum is a rolling number that is calculated daily.

I also agree with Katiequilts that someone would probably not want their review scored by a junior editor, since this would affect their editorial score. By the way, I didn't realize there was a big backlog. When I see new reviews posted in the Review Forum, they tend to be dated within the previous few days.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Maybe it's just my stuff that gets backlogged. :( I wasn't trying to be pretentious (my big word for the day). I was thinking of how to help out maybe with the junior editors not getting the same perks as the editors, but admittedly there are some flaws...
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I wonder if the delay in some of your reviews getting published is partially due to the authors not approving the blurb in a timely manner. I have had that problem before.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, I have 2 that the blurbs have been approved. Just waiting on an editor. 1 that still needs a blurb approval. It's no big deal, though. I wasn't trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill...

-- 19 Jun 2017, 12:42 --

Pardon 3 blurbs that have been approved...
—Neil Gaiman
katiesquilts
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

Bookowlie, while we're on the subject, do you mind explaining how editors choose reviews to edit? Or do they get to choose at all?
We say that we want to help out, but it's really all a mystery to us. :lol:
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm a little unsure about what is going on right now. Does it normally take a while for Scott to respond? I sent him a message 4 days ago and got nothing. If I'm not wanted on this website any more I wish someone would just come out and tell me. I'm just getting a little frustrated.
—Neil Gaiman
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

kandscreeley wrote:I'm a little unsure about what is going on right now. Does it normally take a while for Scott to respond? I sent him a message 4 days ago and got nothing. If I'm not wanted on this website any more I wish someone would just come out and tell me. I'm just getting a little frustrated.
Scott always has a long list of PMs (he had to post a screen shot of the forums once, and the number of his unread PMs was astounding :shock2: ).
If it shows as "picked up", that only means that he's been on his PM page since you sent it. He likely hasn't read it yet.
When I send him something, I know it can take awhile.

Is it something one of us can help with?
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

bookowlie wrote:I wonder if the delay in some of your reviews getting published is partially due to the authors not approving the blurb in a timely manner. I have had that problem before.
That seems to be a more frequent problem for me lately. It is taking weeks for approval by the author. Usually with my having to say something. And then it ends up approved but not published, with the 1 point credit. It's been happening a lot more over the past 3-4 months.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Gravy wrote:
kandscreeley wrote:I'm a little unsure about what is going on right now. Does it normally take a while for Scott to respond? I sent him a message 4 days ago and got nothing. If I'm not wanted on this website any more I wish someone would just come out and tell me. I'm just getting a little frustrated.
Scott always has a long list of PMs (he had to post a screen shot of the forums once, and the number of his unread PMs was astounding :shock2: ).
If it shows as "picked up", that only means that he's been on his PM page since you sent it. He likely hasn't read it yet.

Thanks gravy. That actually clears things up. I thought it meant he had read it. Do you know if the editors are behind or is it just my stuff? Seems to be talking a while to get my reviews edited. And yes they have been approved by the author.
—Neil Gaiman
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

kandscreeley wrote:
Gravy wrote:

Thanks gravy. That actually clears things up. I thought it meant he had read it. Do you know if the editors are behind or is it just my stuff? Seems to be talking a while to get my reviews edited. And yes they have been approved by the author.
I don't think the editors are behind. Anyway, you should privately contact Scott about it and wait patiently for his reply.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Just trying to get some answers Gali. Don't know why I'm being singled out. Didn't know how long to wait for Scott.
—Neil Gaiman
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

kandscreeley wrote:Just trying to get some answers Gali. Don't know why I'm being singled out. Didn't know how long to wait for Scott.
You are not being singled out. He is just busy, as Gravy said above, and this is the weekend after all.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

kandscreeley wrote:Just trying to get some answers Gali. Don't know why I'm being singled out. Didn't know how long to wait for Scott.
Keep in mind that the site has grown a lot recently, leading to a significant increase in the amount of reviews for the editors! I think this has probably contributed a lot to the longer wait time for reviews to be edited.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”