BOTD Raffle Entries

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Re: BOTD Raffle Entries

Post by DorcasToo »

I agree with you. People should be honest period for me I lost that point yesterday but am okay with it.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

MarisaRose wrote: 18 May 2017, 19:19 Does anybody else get frustrated with the BOTD raffle? I'm always honest with the raffle; if the linked in post isn't up yet, I don't mark that "Yay! I did it." But when I look at the days rankings I see multiple people that have 7 entries for the day before the linked in post is up on Scott's page.

I'm wondering if there is a better way to do the raffle? I understand it would be difficult and time consuming to try to track it manually... but it's just frustrating to see people taking advantage of such a great program...
The total number of bonus points you can get a day is 8.
These people with 7 may have skipped the LinkedIn post or are intending to go back to it later to get a total of 8.
They may not be cheating if the total you are seeing is 7.

Also, I once accidentally clicked the Yay button before I tweeted. The option to tweet the disappeard so there was nothing I could do. It was noticed and I was disqualified and sent back to the bottom of the ladder. I would be surprised if there isn’t a similar check on LinkedIn.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Helen_Combe wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 12:01
MarisaRose wrote: 18 May 2017, 19:19 Does anybody else get frustrated with the BOTD raffle? I'm always honest with the raffle; if the linked in post isn't up yet, I don't mark that "Yay! I did it." But when I look at the days rankings I see multiple people that have 7 entries for the day before the linked in post is up on Scott's page.

I'm wondering if there is a better way to do the raffle? I understand it would be difficult and time consuming to try to track it manually... but it's just frustrating to see people taking advantage of such a great program...
The total number of bonus points you can get a day is 8.
These people with 7 may have skipped the LinkedIn post or are intending to go back to it later to get a total of 8.
They may not be cheating if the total you are seeing is 7.

Also, I once accidentally clicked the Yay button before I tweeted. The option to tweet the disappeard so there was nothing I could do. It was noticed and I was disqualified and sent back to the bottom of the ladder. I would be surprised if there isn’t a similar check on LinkedIn.
I don't use Twitter so I don't know how it works at all, but I have accidentally hit the "yay, I did it" button before posting to FB or LinkedIn. I just went to that social media post and made my comment as I would have done anyway.

If you post but don't hit the Yay button, you just made a post you didn't get a bonus point for. If you hit Yay without posting, you lose all of your entries. If you hit Yay and you DID post but don't get credit, you should be able to send the screenshot and get your entries back.

The posts are checked against your Yay claims, but if you hit Yay first it doesn't seem to make a difference, you just need to follow through and do the post.
alangner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alangner.html
Latest Review: The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by alangner »

Personally, I don't mark the bonus entries unless I've done them. For the most part, I don't do them. If it looks like a really good book, I'll pin it, maybe reply to the FB post, but that's it.

What I wish, and perhaps it's a little off-topic, is that we didn't absolutely have to download a book we don't want to read in order to be able to enter the raffle. I have so many books in my Kindle library that I won't read because, unless you download the book, you don't have access to the bonus entries. I've placed the books on my don't want to read bookshelf, and then downloaded them so I'd have the receipt just in case. I'd like to just be able to post on FB that I'm not interested, but congrats. You know?

Take today's book, for example. It's a children's book. I have no interest in it. However, if I want to enter today's raffle, I have to download it. I'm actually going to let my carryover entries lapse today, because I'm tired of downloading books I don't want just for a chance to enter the raffle. If that hurts my reviewer score, well then I'll just have to live with that.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

alangner wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 13:52 Personally, I don't mark the bonus entries unless I've done them. For the most part, I don't do them. If it looks like a really good book, I'll pin it, maybe reply to the FB post, but that's it.

What I wish, and perhaps it's a little off-topic, is that we didn't absolutely have to download a book we don't want to read in order to be able to enter the raffle. I have so many books in my Kindle library that I won't read because, unless you download the book, you don't have access to the bonus entries. I've placed the books on my don't want to read bookshelf, and then downloaded them so I'd have the receipt just in case. I'd like to just be able to post on FB that I'm not interested, but congrats. You know?

Take today's book, for example. It's a children's book. I have no interest in it. However, if I want to enter today's raffle, I have to download it. I'm actually going to let my carryover entries lapse today, because I'm tired of downloading books I don't want just for a chance to enter the raffle. If that hurts my reviewer score, well then I'll just have to live with that.
I don’t absolutely know this, but I’m guessing that having a couple of thousand people ‘buy’ a book on Amazon makes the book leap up the popularity tables and so gives it more exposure. I assume that this is what the author is paying for.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
alangner
Currently Reading:

Post by alangner »

Helen_Combe wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 15:42
alangner wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 13:52 Personally, I don't mark the bonus entries unless I've done them. For the most part, I don't do them. If it looks like a really good book, I'll pin it, maybe reply to the FB post, but that's it.

I don’t absolutely know this, but I’m guessing that having a couple of thousand people ‘buy’ a book on Amazon makes the book leap up the popularity tables and so gives it more exposure. I assume that this is what the author is paying for.
Most likely. However, it seems a bit unfair to both the author and us. The author is having people "buy" a book they'll never read, and we're forced to download a book we'll never read in order to enter the raffle. I'd be more than willing to read the sample of the book, even if I won't read the whole thing, but I'm tired of "buying" books that will do nothing but sit and never be read. We have 3 Kindles, and whenever I have to download a book that I won't read, it gets stuck on the other 2 Kindles as well. As much as I enjoy the raffle, I'm going to start letting my carryovers lapse from now on when I won't read the book.

Perhaps that's what the bonus code could be used for. At least that way we'd get one entry and we wouldn't lose our carryover entries.
Yssimnar
Favorite Book: Wives and Daughters
Currently Reading: No Man Knows My History
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yssimnar.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by Yssimnar »

I just assumed that if someone won, the admins would check for honesty before awarding any prizes. The concept of using the points dishonestly for a higher level is not one I had considered. If a winner lost points or the ability to get points because of dishonesty getting caught, it would definitely shake things up a bit.
:wink:
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin
alangner
Currently Reading:

Post by alangner »

Well, I got disqualified yesterday because the moderator claimed I hadn't posted on FB even though I had. You can appeal a disqualification and I did. I copied the comment I had made on FB and said who posted right before and after I did. My disqualification was UPHELD (even though the moderator did find the comment) because the comment "was not unique" and didn't show "the book's description was read."

While I may not have talked about the content of the book, I did specifically say I had to search Amazon for the English version of the book in order to read the sample. I also said since it wasn't the type of book I enjoy, I wasn't going to spend money on a book I didn't want to read.

I have seen SOOOO many FB comments with less than that or about the same. Not every comment gives a synopsis of the book. Are they all being disqualified?

Personally, I'm done with the raffle. If not entering hurts my reviewer score, so be it. I'm tired of having to either download a book I may not be interested in reading or read the sample of a book I may not be interested in to even be able to access the other entries.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

This is not the forum for complaints. I am locking the thread.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”