BOTD Raffle Entries

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: BOTD Raffle Entries

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:
MarisaRose wrote:I'm going to agree with @bookowlie on this one. Losing one point on the review team is most likely NOT going to drop you down a level. And if it does, you will easily gain that point back a few days later when you continue entering HONESTLY into the raffle... just sayin' cheating to get ahead is still cheating.
I agree.
When I joined, there were no social media bonus points in the score. Your score consisted of participation in the forums, and the quality and popularity of your reviews. No matter what the reason, members should not be allowed to gain points or raffle entries by claiming to do something they didn't do. I only do Pinterest and there are some days I lose a bonus point because the BOTD is not there earlier in the day, and I don't get a chance to do it later. Even if there is a glitch or delay, people shouldn't be adding an entry or point when they didn't do anything to earn it.
I agree!

-- May 19th, 2017, 8:34 pm --
kandscreeley wrote:I think there should be allowances made on days when the entry NEVER gets posted. Like it did yesterday.

-- 19 May 2017, 12:14 --

I'm not talking about when people just say all the time that they did it and they didn't. I'm talking about days like yesterday when there was absolutely NO post.

The circumstances don't matter. One should not mark yes when he didn't comment. It is still cheating in my book and it isn't fair to others.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Also, it happens so rarely that a post NEVER shows up by the end of the day. So as I stated before, why make allowances? You will gain that point back in a matter of days - one point wont significantly impact anyone's score in the long term.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I will work on developing a much stricter monitoring and enforcement of the giveaway entries.

Because of the carryover system, when someone has an entry disqualified it leads to a significant penalty in terms of losing all their carryover entries.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, Scott. :)

Maybe there could be an email when the new system will take place - kind of giving everyone a warning/heads up of what will happen if they claim to have commented/shared the day's BOTD when they haven't. That way, they will be fairly warned and know the consequences if they still decide to lie.

My thought is - if they lied once, then they have no issue of lying again, so if they lose all their points, even after the warning, then that's their own doing. I mean, who knows how many times they have lied up to this point?

Just my thoughts. Anyway, thank you, again, Scott for all the time and effort you put into OBC. We really appreciate it! :D
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote:Thank you, Scott. :)

Maybe there could be an email when the new system will take place - kind of giving everyone a warning/heads up of what will happen if they claim to have commented/shared the day's BOTD when they haven't. That way, they will be fairly warned and know the consequences if they still decide to lie.

My thought is - if they lied once, then they have no issue of lying again, so if they lose all their points, even after the warning, then that's their own doing. I mean, who knows how many times they have lied up to this point?

Just my thoughts. Anyway, thank you, again, Scott for all the time and effort you put into OBC. We really appreciate it! :D
Good idea,hsimone, and I agree with you!

Thank you, Scott. :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote:
hsimone wrote:Thank you, Scott. :)

Good idea,hsimone, and I agree with you!

Thank you, Scott. :tiphat:
Thank you, gali! :tiphat:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

It's so wonderful to see our suggestions taken seriously! Thank you, Scott!
TIGER999
Currently Reading: The Haunting of Winchester Mansion Omnibus
Bookshelf Size: 146

Post by TIGER999 »

How so you get carryover points for the BOTD raffle?
gali

Post by gali »

TIGER999 wrote:How so you get carryover points for the BOTD raffle?
By participating every day.
A retired Admin/Mod

TIGER999

Post by TIGER999 »

Just wondering...If you miss the posting and are unable sometimes to read the BOTD review, can you catch up on it somewhere in the next day or so, and read or write comments?
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

If you mean earn extra entries (beyond what is available on the giveaway page), then no.
But so long as you enter everyday, your entries continue to build.

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
TIGER999

Post by TIGER999 »

Somehow I keep missing the link to the BOTD (giveaway) review some days, which is my favorite part. When I come onto that page, all the links are still there for that day...except that one is gone! Per EX: where is the review link for 6/24? It's not showing up on my giveaway page. Perhaps it's because of varying time zones? Can you tell me what time that link is taken down for the day so I don't miss out on any more? I love to read the review & comments to perhaps discover a new & interesting book! Thanx.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Some of the books featured don't have reviews published yet. :tiphat:

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

I have a little bit of a different issue, but related. I was disqualified for not posting to linked or Pinterest but i DID. I even have a screen shot of the comment on the post from that day, i went back and found it right away ?? Same with the pin how do i get those points back?
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

anwidmer wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 06:12 I have a little bit of a different issue, but related. I was disqualified for not posting to linked or Pinterest but i DID. I even have a screen shot of the comment on the post from that day, i went back and found it right away ?? Same with the pin how do i get those points back?
I did the same think. What I hadn't done was hit the Yay button. Without that it is assumed that you didn’t post, so it’s not checked. I tried to get the points back but as you get back up to full numbers on the popularity index within four days, by the time Scott gets to see your request, it’s too far in the past to make much difference.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”