BOTD Raffle Entries

(Formerly the "Support, Feedback and Forum Announcements" forum.)
Please help us make Online Book Club even better! Please post suggestions, feedback and ideas for new features. Wild brainstorming and potentially 'crazy ideas' are super-strongly encouraged! :)

For new members (or old members who run into an issue), please make a post in this forum asking any questions you have about using the site and how it works that are not answered in the FAQ. Not only are we happy help you, but also we can use your feedback to make the site better for tomorrow's new member! A lot of the instructions throughout the site and answers in the FAQ are there because someone else pointed out that it wasn't clear before.

---

IMPORTANT: The Public Suggestion Box is NOT for discussing issues with the Review Team. If you are a reviewer and need help, please first check the Review Team Page and then if you still need help use the Review Team Support Forum. If you are an author and need help, please first check the Author Dashboard and if that does not resolve your issue use the private contact form. For reference, there is a contact link on every page of the website.

---

To ensure the above procedures are used, posts by new members in the Suggestion Box will be held for moderation.

There are over 240,000 members at OnlineBookClub.org. Following the proper procedures to get help or make suggestions actually helps us help you much faster.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss issues related to the Review Team in the Public Suggestion Box. If you have an issue or question related to the review Team, please check either the Author Dashboard (if you are an author or publisher), or check the Review Team Page (if you are a reviewer).
MarisaRose
Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 62
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 400
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Sleepwalker
Bookshelf Size: 317
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: A yard full of Wonder by Jean McCarthy
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

BOTD Raffle Entries

Post by MarisaRose » 18 May 2017, 19:19

Does anybody else get frustrated with the BOTD raffle? I'm always honest with the raffle; if the linked in post isn't up yet, I don't mark that "Yay! I did it." But when I look at the days rankings I see multiple people that have 7 entries for the day before the linked in post is up on Scott's page.

I'm wondering if there is a better way to do the raffle? I understand it would be difficult and time consuming to try to track it manually... but it's just frustrating to see people taking advantage of such a great program...
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: Sally the Bold by Albert Alarcon Jr

Post by bookowlie » 18 May 2017, 22:47

Well, that's interesting. I don't use Linkedin or Facebook (only Pinterest), so I don't get those two extra raffle entries. I always assumed there was an automatic system check for the social media entries. It sounds like you should contact Scott directly about this issue. I agree with you that it's annoying to see people taking advantage of the bonus entries.
"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - Louisa May Alcott

gali
Site Admin
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 105
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Girl in the Tower
Bookshelf Size: 1856
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali » 18 May 2017, 22:51

I noticed it too. I think @"Scott" has a way of checking it, but I am not sure. I tagged him for you.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 74
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 96
Currently Reading: The Bigfoot Paradox
Bookshelf Size: 434
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: Picture Perfect by D.G. Stern
Publishing Contest Votes: 27

Post by hsimone » 19 May 2017, 10:36

I was actually just going to say something as well. There are multiple people saying that they have commented and/or shared all entries today (and yesterday) when not all has been posted on appropriate social media sites. It kind of stinks when people aren't honest. :(
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4

MarisaRose
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>

Post by MarisaRose » 19 May 2017, 10:43

@hsimone I couldn't agree more! Especially because I have so much love for this site and for the author's that utilize us as reviewers. The point of the raffles is to help the authors of the BOTDs get the word out/provide feedback. It's not right for people to be so greedy when the point of the raffle is to be rewarded for helping out. Just really frustrating for those of us that want to make use of this site honestly...

gali
Site Admin

Post by gali » 19 May 2017, 10:48

MarisaRose wrote:@hsimone I couldn't agree more! Especially because I have so much love for this site and for the author's that utilize us as reviewers. The point of the raffles is to help the authors of the BOTDs get the word out/provide feedback. It's not right for people to be so greedy when the point of the raffle is to be rewarded for helping out. Just really frustrating for those of us that want to make use of this site honestly...
:ditto:
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 74
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 96
Currently Reading: The Bigfoot Paradox
Bookshelf Size: 434
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: Picture Perfect by D.G. Stern
Publishing Contest Votes: 27

Post by hsimone » 19 May 2017, 10:51

gali wrote:
MarisaRose wrote:@hsimone I couldn't agree more! Especially because I have so much love for this site and for the author's that utilize us as reviewers. The point of the raffles is to help the authors of the BOTDs get the word out/provide feedback. It's not right for people to be so greedy when the point of the raffle is to be rewarded for helping out. Just really frustrating for those of us that want to make use of this site honestly...
:ditto:
I agree wholeheartedly, as well. Thank you for bringing up this point, MarisaRose.
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4

MarisaRose
Member of the Month

Post by MarisaRose » 19 May 2017, 10:53

:tiphat: thank you for participating in the discussion! Glad to know I'm not the only one frustrated by this...

kandscreeley
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 68
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Awakening by Suzanne Boisvert

Post by kandscreeley » 19 May 2017, 11:21

Here's my issue. I waited and waited and waited yesterday for the LinkedIn post to be posted. When it still hadn't been late yesterday, I want ahead and said yay I did it. Why? It wasn't for the raffle entry. It was for the extra points on the review team. Why should I lose a point for not posting on linked in when it wasn't my fault that I didn't post? Just my thought. Maybe some others as well...
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

gali
Site Admin

Post by gali » 19 May 2017, 11:35

kandscreeley wrote:Here's my issue. I waited and waited and waited yesterday for the LinkedIn post to be posted. When it still hadn't been late yesterday, I want ahead and said yay I did it. Why? It wasn't for the raffle entry. It was for the extra points on the review team. Why should I lose a point for not posting on linked in when it wasn't my fault that I didn't post? Just my thought. Maybe some others as well...
It is unfair to the other reviewers/contenders who were honest about it. It is cheating no matter how you put it.

@Scott

bookowlie
Currently Reading:

Post by bookowlie » 19 May 2017, 11:42

I think the people who cheat should be disqualified from future participation in the daily giveaways.
"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - Louisa May Alcott

gali
Site Admin

Post by gali » 19 May 2017, 11:46

bookowlie wrote:I think the people who cheat should be disqualified from future participation in the daily giveaways.
I agree! Also, the points should be taken out of the score.

MarisaRose
Member of the Month

Post by MarisaRose » 19 May 2017, 11:48

I'm going to agree with @bookowlie on this one. Losing one point on the review team is most likely NOT going to drop you down a level. And if it does, you will easily gain that point back a few days later when you continue entering HONESTLY into the raffle... just sayin' cheating to get ahead is still cheating.

bookowlie
Currently Reading:

Post by bookowlie » 19 May 2017, 12:11

MarisaRose wrote:I'm going to agree with @bookowlie on this one. Losing one point on the review team is most likely NOT going to drop you down a level. And if it does, you will easily gain that point back a few days later when you continue entering HONESTLY into the raffle... just sayin' cheating to get ahead is still cheating.
I agree.
When I joined, there were no social media bonus points in the score. Your score consisted of participation in the forums, and the quality and popularity of your reviews. No matter what the reason, members should not be allowed to gain points or raffle entries by claiming to do something they didn't do. I only do Pinterest and there are some days I lose a bonus point because the BOTD is not there earlier in the day, and I don't get a chance to do it later. Even if there is a glitch or delay, people shouldn't be adding an entry or point when they didn't do anything to earn it.

kandscreeley
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 68
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Awakening by Suzanne Boisvert

Post by kandscreeley » 19 May 2017, 12:13

I think there should be allowances made on days when the entry NEVER gets posted. Like it did yesterday.

-- 19 May 2017, 12:14 --

I'm not talking about when people just say all the time that they did it and they didn't. I'm talking about days like yesterday when there was absolutely NO post.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Return to “Public Suggestion Box”