Suggestion: Fixed Level Reviewer

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Suggestion: Fixed Level Reviewer

Post by kandscreeley »

I had a thought. This may not be possible, but I thought I would put the idea out there to you fine people. What if after a certain number of reviews published on this website, you had the opportunity to become a fixed level reviewer? Here's how I'm picturing this to work. You do a certain number of reviews that get graded just like always. Once you get say 5 reviews done and reach say level 4, you then have the option of becoming a fixed level reviewer. In that case, an editor would still approve your reviews, but either they wouldn't give you a grade or you wouldn't be able to see it. As long as they approve your review, it gets published just like always. However, you wouldn't get points any more and your level would stay the same. Like I said, I don't know if this is possible, but I think I would appreciate something like this. Personally, I work really hard at my reviews and reading my books. Therefore, when one gets graded lower than I think it should, it really messes with my head. This way, you could avoid all that. Just a thought.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Post by va2016 »

that's an interesting suggestion. the only catch with that is that reviewers might
get slack in their conformance to the grammar and start making silly mistakes
which will eventually compound and get a bad reputation for the reviewer and the
site.

I understand your concern with points fluctuating. I also sometimes get low scores
for my reviews and get frustrated when 10 points are deducted for the missing article
like 'the'! But somewhere the standard has to be maintained to keep everyone upto
the mark.

Maybe, I could suggest multiple levels of points reduction can be introduced. For very
negligible and pardonable mistakes, lower points can be deducted and for serious spoilers
higher number of points can be deducted. But here too, if a reviewer keeps making
the silly mistakes above certain no. of times, the penalty should be severe to make them
review thoroughly before they submit. Oh well, all these need implementation and could
get complex.....
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

va2016 wrote:...Maybe, I could suggest multiple levels of points reduction can be introduced. For very
negligible and pardonable mistakes, lower points can be deducted and for serious spoilers
higher number of points can be deducted. But here too, if a reviewer keeps making
the silly mistakes above certain no. of times, the penalty should be severe to make them
review thoroughly before they submit. Oh well, all these need implementation and could
get complex.....
I know this topic is several months old, but I think the suggestion you made bears repeating. I also think it would be great if there were levels of points taken off for grammar mistakes. Perhaps little things like a missing/extra comma could be 1 or 2 points, but spoilers or egregious syntax errors would be the full 10.

Right now, I am very upset about scores from my last two reviews, as both of them were significantly lowered by points taken off for so-called grammatical errors. After thoroughly scouring the Internet, including Grammerly, I disputed my scores, but still have to wait to see if anything will be done. Meanwhile, my level has dropped by one, and I think it's very unfair.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

MsTri wrote:
va2016 wrote:...Maybe, I could suggest multiple levels of points reduction can be introduced. For very
get complex.....
I know this topic is several months old, but I think the suggestion you made bears repeating. I also think it would be great if there were levels of points taken off for grammar mistakes. Perhaps little things like a missing/extra comma could be 1 or 2 points, but spoilers or egregious syntax errors would be the full 10.

Right now, I am very upset about scores from my last two reviews, as both of them were significantly lowered by points taken off for so-called grammatical errors. After thoroughly scouring the Internet, including Grammerly, I disputed my scores, but still have to wait to see if anything will be done. Meanwhile, my level has dropped by one, and I think it's very unfair.
This forum is not for complaints. If you have issues with your score, you should privately contact Scott about it.

I am locking this thread. :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”