Official Review: Immediacy by Fred Emil Katz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Official Review: Immediacy by Fred Emil Katz

Post by Shelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Immediacy" by Fred Emil Katz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When human cruelty rears its ugly head, when genocide is perpetuated or discovered, or when preventable tragedies occur, most people swear they’ll never allow it to happen again or vow had they been privy, it wouldn’t have happened at all. In Immediacy: Our Ways of Coping in Everyday Life author Fred Emil Katz explores the sociology and psychology of humans in the midst of terrifying events and delves into the reasoning behind their actions and choices. I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars. The book was well-researched and well-written, the subject matter and examples were interesting, and the author’s passion was evident. Unfortunately a few typographical errors and sections of repeated information shows an overall lack of professional editing, warranting a-less-than-perfect review.

Immediacy is a series of essays written over the period of several years. The essays deal with transcendence, morality, duality and autonomy, and how these aspects of psychology and sociology influence decision making, and to the extreme, horrific genocide, like the Holocaust of WWII or the genocide of Rwanda. Many of the essays read like a sociology graduate student’s dissertation and are quite weighty in tone and subject matter. The author takes published research studies and analyzes them and explains how the research can be applied and why it’s important.

Author Fred Emil Katz lost many family members in the Holocaust and most of the examples throughout the book are related to that. Nazism and overall patriotism are also explored through his unique lens. I appreciated Katz’s honesty and vulnerability as he discussed these subjects and his perspective make the examples very real and not easily forgotten.

While I liked this book and feel it is very important to read, I must admit it was tough to read. There were times I had to put it down and distract myself with something light-heated and frivolous. Human beings are so powerful and this book was filled with examples of using that power for evil instead of good. At one point the author discusses the moral progress of the human race and wonders if any has truly been made. After reading this book, I was left wondering the same thing.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes sociology or psychology or ever wondered how entire groups of people can do horrible things. Readers looking for something to make them think over weighty subjects would also like this book. I think for the right book club, Immediacy would inspire some spirited and interesting debate and discussion.

Immediacy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shelle's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

Typographical errors make me afraid to read this book because it sounds interesting but mistakes could detract quite a bit from the overall value.
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

Very unique and interesting premise to this one, and I am glad the reviewer felt that the book was well-researched. Still, to put so much work into research but not the final project sounds like a misstep.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A book exploring evil deeds through research and personal examples should be a good read. It does sound tough to read due to the subject matter. I am sorry to hear that the author lost his family members in the Holocaust. It is good that he wrote about that, so people won't forget. Some try to deny it ever happened, so it is important to keep records of it. Thank you for the review and congratulations to the author for the positive review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I agree with Gali that this topic is important to write about, so that people don't forget. It's a shame about the errors.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

This does sounds like an interesting read. The errors are concerning but if the overall point of the book is strong and complete then I could definitely read it. These kinds of books definitely spark debate, especially with what is going on in the world today. Great Review!
Elizabeth Wangui
Currently Reading: Justice
Bookshelf Size: 118

Post by Elizabeth Wangui »

I congratulate the author for the series of essay books which describes more on psychology and sociology episodes. I can as well recommend this book to those interested in debates and discussion since it covers alot. Thanks.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I would have to think over whether or not I would want to tackle the, as you say, "weighty" subject matter, but it sparks my interest.
gali wrote:I am sorry to hear that the author lost his family members in the Holocaust. It is good that he wrote about that, so people won't forget. Some try to deny it ever happened, so it is important to keep records of it.
:text-yeahthat:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

In Immediacy: Our Ways of Coping in Everyday Life is the kind of book that I love to read. Unfortunately, I felt sad when the reviewer commented that this book did not undergo professional editing. This book would have been perfect if it has passed through professional editing.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This sounds like a very deep book. I'm not sure I'm ready for this. It sounds like it covers a lot of good issues though. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

I think that this is an amazing and important topic for a book and it looks like the author did a great job presenting it. Having sampled the first few pages, I definitely see where you are coming from when you say that the content is quite deep. Not only is the book written at a high level intellectually, it hits on some extremely touchy/sensitive subjects. Thank you for the review.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

The truth is that humans can be cruel and savage at times. I'm glad the author took time to research about the topic to present real evidence in history not conjectures he could have created after his lost. However, I like more when books with this kind of topics emphasize the solutions we can find for this type of behavior not on the disastrous results. Nevertheless, this is a very touchy subject.
joshmanzano
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfender.html
Latest Review: "Don't Let It Show" by Randy Boucher

Post by joshmanzano »

The topics that this book has sound really interesting. I really like books that make me question and wonder about the state of humanity. Great review!
Latest Review: "Don't Let It Show" by Randy Boucher
Miche Sora
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Silence Fallen</a>
Currently Reading: Volatile Bonds
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miche-sora.html
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs

Post by Miche Sora »

Thanks for your review! I'm glad the book was well-researched, but it's a shame there are so many errors. I'm not sure I'd be able to read this book; it would give me nightmares for a week. I don't think most humans have made much moral progress over the centuries either. It's amazing how debilitating fear is.
She reads books
as one would breathe air,
to fill up and live.

--Annie Dillard
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs
Nina Butler
Currently Reading: rubies
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nina-butler.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Nina Butler »

I don't think this is the type of book that I would just read for fun. I don't like delving too deep into the human psyche because you can get lost in there, and you will see things you don't want to see. I appreciate that you reviewed this book and took the time to give it an honest review. Typographical errors can detract from a good book, and I may have a hard time reading this if it hasn't been professionally edited because of the subject matter.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”