Review team grading system

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

KAV
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kav.html
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk

Review team grading system

Post by KAV »

I have a suggestion about the grading system for book reviews. I think there should be a rubric posted with your grade. To ensure consistency and transparency, I feel that a rubric with 4-5 key fields would help graders and reviewers know what to expect. This would make grading consistent and improve overall grades and reviews.

I have completed seven reviews and my grades are scattered across the board. I feel like the grades given are being pulled out of a hat. I’m not a literature major or a grammar teacher, but I am educated. I find it hard to believe that my written reviews vary as much as my grades display. I understand that different people are grading each review. Because of this, I would like to suggest that a grading rubric be used, which would allow the grader more structure regarding grading criteria. This would also help the reviewer because it would allow us to know what to improve on for future reviews.

I am not asking for my grades to be changed, I would like some constructive criticism that can improve my score for next time. What exactly is everything worth in the review? Does each missed comma subtract 5%? I thought my last review was pretty good; however the grader said I had “a few grammatical errors” and one confusing phrase. Then I was awarded a 65%. I think a rubric would have helped me understand my reflected score more than the comment entered.
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk
[christineszy]
Currently Reading: Gates to Tangier
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christineszy.html

Post by [christineszy] »

The score of 65% for "a few grammatical errors" is surprising! I hope this rubric is considered. I have yet to write a review, but I was looking forward to improving my writing while exploring some new authors.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Great suggestion!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I like the idea.

On the other hand, I think it is kind of missing the point to worry about how many points are being deducted for a grammar error, or worry that it may not be consistent deduction between reviews. The focus should be on eliminating the grammar error and fixing anything else the editor's mention.

With that said, I am working on an update that will add a few more objective measures to the editor ratings.

Also, if you have a specific concern about a specific editor comment and score, the Suggestion Box is not the place for that. For more information about that, please see the following topic which is a sticky topic in the Suggestion Box:

REVIEW TEAM AND REVIEW REQUEST ISSUES - Read this first

Thank you for the feedback! :)
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”