I have a question.

(Formerly the "Support, Feedback and Forum Announcements" forum.)
Please help us make Online Book Club even better! Please post suggestions, feedback and ideas for new features. Wild brainstorming and potentially 'crazy ideas' are super-strongly encouraged! :)

For new members (or old members who run into an issue), please make a post in this forum asking any questions you have about using the site and how it works that are not answered in the FAQ. Not only are we happy help you, but also we can use your feedback to make the site better for tomorrow's new member! A lot of the instructions throughout the site and answers in the FAQ are there because someone else pointed out that it wasn't clear before.

---

IMPORTANT: The Public Suggestion Box is NOT for discussing issues with the Review Team. If you are a reviewer and need help, please first check the Review Team Page and then if you still need help use the Review Team Support Forum. If you are an author and need help, please first check the Author Dashboard and if that does not resolve your issue use the private contact form. For reference, there is a contact link on every page of the website.

---

To ensure the above procedures are used, posts by new members in the Suggestion Box will be held for moderation.

There are over 240,000 members at OnlineBookClub.org. Following the proper procedures to get help or make suggestions actually helps us help you much faster.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss issues related to the Review Team in the Public Suggestion Box, as we prefer to deal with Review Team issues privately. If you have an issue or question related to the Review Team, please first check either the Author Dashboard (if you are an author or publisher) or check the Review Team Page (if you are a reviewer). If you are a reviewer and you have a suggestion, you can post that in the special private Review Team Support Forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
Wasif Ahmed
Posts: 662
Joined: 19 Sep 2016, 22:00
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 22
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

I have a question.

Post by Wasif Ahmed » 31 Dec 2016, 01:52

Due to some reasons, it took me longer than usual to review my last book and ended up getting 6 delay penalties. This also meant -6 points in my reviewer score. Is there any way to plus these -6 points as they are making a huge difference in my overall score. Please help. Thank you.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.

User avatar
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Posts: 8279
Joined: 25 Oct 2014, 09:52
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: Such a Perfect Wife
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: My Mama Says Inside Me Lives A Village by Nadine Levitt

Post by bookowlie » 31 Dec 2016, 10:13

The only thing I can recommend is to PM Scott and discuss the issue with him privately, including the reasons why it took you a longer time to finish the book and review. I have never been in this position, but I would imagine it would help in the future for you to let him know in advance of the deadline why you can't finish in time.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

User avatar
CatInTheHat
Bookshelves Moderator
Posts: 2731
Joined: 31 May 2016, 11:53
2019 Reading Goal: 75
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 32
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 502
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catinthehat.html
Latest Review: Two Wrongs by Anthony L. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by CatInTheHat » 31 Dec 2016, 11:18

Wasif Ahmed wrote:Due to some reasons, it took me longer than usual to review my last book and ended up getting 6 delay penalties. This also meant -6 points in my reviewer score. Is there any way to plus these -6 points as they are making a huge difference in my overall score. Please help. Thank you.
If it helps to know this, with each new review you do, those points will decrease and eventually disappear.
Life without a good book is something the CatInTheHat cannot imagine.

User avatar
Wasif Ahmed
Posts: 662
Joined: 19 Sep 2016, 22:00
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 22
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed » 31 Dec 2016, 20:47

bookowlie wrote:The only thing I can recommend is to PM Scott and discuss the issue with him privately, including the reasons why it took you a longer time to finish the book and review. I have never been in this position, but I would imagine it would help in the future for you to let him know in advance of the deadline why you can't finish in time.
Thanks @bookowlie

-- 01 Jan 2017, 07:18 --
CatInTheHat wrote:
Wasif Ahmed wrote:Due to some reasons, it took me longer than usual to review my last book and ended up getting 6 delay penalties. This also meant -6 points in my reviewer score. Is there any way to plus these -6 points as they are making a huge difference in my overall score. Please help. Thank you.
If it helps to know this, with each new review you do, those points will decrease and eventually disappear.
Thanks @CatInTheHat. Your post gave me a relief. :)
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.

User avatar
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Posts: 8279
Joined: 25 Oct 2014, 09:52
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: Such a Perfect Wife
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: My Mama Says Inside Me Lives A Village by Nadine Levitt

Post by bookowlie » 01 Jan 2017, 11:02

It's true that the points have an expiration date. I think it's a year? Also, I am pretty sure that the penalty points that relate to the reviews are calculated as a percentage of the total reviews you completed.

Here's an example - let's say an author disputed your ending blurb for a review (ending blurbs are required for paid reviews). Even if the dispute is minor and resolved quickly, it's then categorized as a dispute that was lightly questioned (or some label like that). If you have 3 total reviews and one blurb had been disputed, you might receive 3.3 or 3 penalty points - basically 1 out of 3 = 33%. If you have 10 total reviews and one blurb had been disputed, you might receive 1 penalty point - 1 out of 10 = 10%. In fact, in the second example, you would likely get 0 points since it used to be that less than 15% of the total would result in no penalty points (not sure if this policy changed). There also might have been a more recent change in the formula where there is a weighted average and the more recent disputes are given more weight vs. the less recent ones. In that case, a penalty you received today would be valued lower in a few months before it eventually "expires."
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

User avatar
Wasif Ahmed
Posts: 662
Joined: 19 Sep 2016, 22:00
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 22
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed » 01 Jan 2017, 20:07

bookowlie wrote:It's true that the points have an expiration date. I think it's a year? Also, I am pretty sure that the penalty points that relate to the reviews are calculated as a percentage of the total reviews you completed.

Here's an example - let's say an author disputed your ending blurb for a review (ending blurbs are required for paid reviews). Even if the dispute is minor and resolved quickly, it's then categorized as a dispute that was lightly questioned (or some label like that). If you have 3 total reviews and one blurb had been disputed, you might receive 3.3 or 3 penalty points - basically 1 out of 3 = 33%. If you have 10 total reviews and one blurb had been disputed, you might receive 1 penalty point - 1 out of 10 = 10%. In fact, in the second example, you would likely get 0 points since it used to be that less than 15% of the total would result in no penalty points (not sure if this policy changed). There also might have been a more recent change in the formula where there is a weighted average and the more recent disputes are given more weight vs. the less recent ones. In that case, a penalty you received today would be valued lower in a few months before it eventually "expires."
Thanks @bookowlie. But I got a penalty for taking more than the given time to submit a review. How many days will it take to get rid of these negative points?
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.

User avatar
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Posts: 8279
Joined: 25 Oct 2014, 09:52
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: Such a Perfect Wife
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: My Mama Says Inside Me Lives A Village by Nadine Levitt

Post by bookowlie » 01 Jan 2017, 20:54

I think a penalty point received for any reason has an expiration date of one year. From the info you originally posted, it sounds like a delay in submitting a review nets a harsher penalty. I gave the example of the author disputes to illustrate how the penalty points can go down as you complete more reviews. Are the penalties for submitting a review past the deadline treated the same way?....that's a question for Scott.

I still think it's a good idea to contact Scott privately to get more detailed info. You can also explain why the review was late. Since you are a relatively new member, you might not have known that you should contact the Admin in advance if you can't make the deadline.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

User avatar
Wasif Ahmed
Posts: 662
Joined: 19 Sep 2016, 22:00
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 22
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed » 01 Jan 2017, 21:00

bookowlie wrote:I think a penalty point received for any reason has an expiration date of one year. From the info you originally posted, it sounds like a delay in submitting a review nets a harsher penalty. I gave the example of the author disputes to illustrate how the penalty points can go down as you complete more reviews. Are the penalties for submitting a review past the deadline treated the same way?....that's a question for Scott.

I still think it's a good idea to contact Scott privately to get more detailed info. You can also explain why the review was late. Since you are a relatively new member, you might not have known that you should contact the Admin in advance if you can't make the deadline.
Thanks a ton. And yes that's what I am going to be doing. :)
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.

User avatar
Zora C Penter
Posts: 262
Joined: 10 Dec 2018, 16:19
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter » 17 Feb 2019, 13:54

I did not realize that the time for saying you had received a successfully working copy of a novel had reduced from 24 hours to 1 hour. I had acquired a copy from amazon, but due to an internet connection error, I was not able to check that the copy was functional in my library. I fell asleep...now I am down 3 points on my score because I could not confirm I had a working copy. Even if I hadn't fallen asleep, I would not have been able to ask for an extension because of the internet issue.

User avatar
Princess poppplly
Posts: 1
Joined: 15 May 2019, 20:32
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Princess poppplly » 16 May 2019, 06:14

So I have a question. I'm a new member and I was wondering do I have to download audible to read the book, or can I read the book on the website? If I can read it on the website please tell me how to. Thank you so much.

User avatar
gali
Site Admin
Posts: 40557
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 07:12
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 81
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Cat Who Blew the Whistle
Bookshelf Size: 1965
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali » 16 May 2019, 06:25

Princess poppplly wrote: ↑
16 May 2019, 06:14
So I have a question. I'm a new member and I was wondering do I have to download audible to read the book, or can I read the book on the website? If I can read it on the website please tell me how to. Thank you so much.
Most books are ebooks, and you get them from the Review Team Page. Please read this thread: Links and Info for New Members. :
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Post Reply

Return to “Public Suggestion Box”