New member bookshelf

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 792
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

New member bookshelf

Post by Julie Ditton »

I am a new member and I recently imported my GoodReads bookshelves. I have a few questions.

I have decided that I don't want all my old books to show as having just been read as of a couple years ago. So I considered the idea that I add an approximate year read to those books on my Goodreads file, and then upload everything again. If I do this, will it overwrite my info and update my shelves properly or create hundreds of duplicates?

In that same area, can I occasionally somehow upload bulk information to update shelves here to reflect additions to the other site? Or do I need to add new books individually?

Only a small fraction of my books showed up with covers and genre information. Is there a way to do a bulk edit and put all my books from a specific author in the appropriate genre in one fell swoop? Or does each genre and cover need to be entered individually?

Thank you in advance for your help.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

My first thought was that it would create duplicates, but I'm not sure. I will tag @"Scott" for you.

There is a way to change the date read from the books page, but that would surely take some time :lol:

He'll be able to answer the rest as well :tiphat:

As for covers and genre info, genre can be added en masse (via the genre link at the top of your shelves), but covers have to be added individually.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

If the only item you change in the import file is the year read, then it won't create duplicate.

Books are stored by the title (included subtitle if one) and author name. So as long as the title and author name are identical, the book is treated as the one in the same.

Cover images should often be automatically imported if the ISBN is included. Otherwise, I'm not sure how you could seek to bulk import the covers since each cover would be different.

As @Gravy said, there is a way to change the genres of many books at once. Hopefully, that is sufficient.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 792
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

Thanks for clearing that up.

-- 08 Jan 2017, 10:09 --

Sugestion: Using the genre link, I still need to choose a button for each book. With 500 books that imported as unspecified that's a daunting task. I am wondering if it might be a possibility to add a way to sort for an author and then move all of his/ her books to a specific genre. Then someone could move any number of books at once. (For example, search for Robb and move 51 "In Death " books to mystery in one batch). If that prolific writer writes in more then 1 genre, the member could then go in and edit genre on those few books.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”